Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 3rd 2016, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi again

I have had my pre screen undertaken and pretty much as expected they have flagged my lack of psychiatry at SHO level - I had a letter from the VTS stating competence which would have been enough if it was signed by a psych consultant.

So my plan is find a local consultant and shadow them for a while until they feel happy to produce a letter for me - its either that or arrange a 4 week attachment.

I also need to get the letter for exam exemption from the CFPC but as I have MRCGP this is easy enough.

For anyone starting out the initial message I had from healthmatch nearly overwhelmed me as the documentation required is huge. It is possible and I finished VTS in 1997 so have had to get stuff from way back and also lots of letters from places I have worked.

What I would say is how helpful everyone has been, on this site as well as those asked for letters not one has said no and even when the letter wasnt to Healthmatch's liking they were more than happy to redo letters. Lets hope this continues and I can find someone to sign off my psychiatry!

If anyone is starting out and wants advice/ my experience feel free to PM me!
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:31 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi again

I have had my pre screen undertaken and pretty much as expected they have flagged my lack of psychiatry at SHO level - I had a letter from the VTS stating competence which would have been enough if it was signed by a psych consultant.

So my plan is find a local consultant and shadow them for a while until they feel happy to produce a letter for me - its either that or arrange a 4 week attachment.

I also need to get the letter for exam exemption from the CFPC but as I have MRCGP this is easy enough.

For anyone starting out the initial message I had from healthmatch nearly overwhelmed me as the documentation required is huge. It is possible and I finished VTS in 1997 so have had to get stuff from way back and also lots of letters from places I have worked.

What I would say is how helpful everyone has been, on this site as well as those asked for letters not one has said no and even when the letter wasnt to Healthmatch's liking they were more than happy to redo letters. Lets hope this continues and I can find someone to sign off my psychiatry!

If anyone is starting out and wants advice/ my experience feel free to PM me!
You are absolutely right, it is a lot of hard work but, having come out the other side of that mountain of admin and paperwork, it is, believe me, worth it. Rich, could you not just approach the Psych consultant for a letter rather than VTS- we worked with one Consultant covering one sector in Norfolk, maybe it is different in your area. It would save you the hassle of shadowing or attachments.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You are absolutely right, it is a lot of hard work but, having come out the other side of that mountain of admin and paperwork, it is, believe me, worth it. Rich, could you not just approach the Psych consultant for a letter rather than VTS- we worked with one Consultant covering one sector in Norfolk, maybe it is different in your area. It would save you the hassle of shadowing or attachments.
Unfortunately I have been a locum for a few years so have no connection with any consultants so they don't know me. I have E also changed areas too.

I'm pretty persistent so plan to find someone who can sort this for me. It's a move that I really want so will chase it pretty relentlessly 😁😁
Old Sep 12th 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

CherC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I am hoping I can get some help and advise esp. from someone who is applying to or has completed the Ontario process. Following practice visits, I started the process earlier this year and 4 weeks back I got positive decision letter from CPSO. I am waiting for LMIA without which I can't apply for a work permit and hence can't move forward with registration or starting work.
My employer in Canada on advice of local recruiter HFO (who does dozens of applications), applied to Service Canada end of JULY and they told me that in their experience, they should get LMIA within 2-4 weeks. We are now 7 weeks into the process and still waiting. In your experience, how much time did it take for LMIA to come through?? I am in a limbo situation, and can't move forward with wrapping up life/job in the UK. Unfortunately I had to give 3 month notice for resigning from my job in UK and I will be jobless in another 2 weeks or perhaps could locum short-term. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2016, 11:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CherC
Hello, I am hoping I can get some help and advise esp. from someone who is applying to or has completed the Ontario process. Following practice visits, I started the process earlier this year and 4 weeks back I got positive decision letter from CPSO. I am waiting for LMIA without which I can't apply for a work permit and hence can't move forward with registration or starting work.
My employer in Canada on advice of local recruiter HFO (who does dozens of applications), applied to Service Canada end of JULY and they told me that in their experience, they should get LMIA within 2-4 weeks. We are now 7 weeks into the process and still waiting. In your experience, how much time did it take for LMIA to come through?? I am in a limbo situation, and can't move forward with wrapping up life/job in the UK. Unfortunately I had to give 3 month notice for resigning from my job in UK and I will be jobless in another 2 weeks or perhaps could locum short-term. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
Oh we know about the limbo thing...

Seven weeks doesn't seem right at all. The first time the employer applied for an LMIA for my husband, he had put the wrong form in, I can't remember who picked up on that, but somehow it got picked up on. The employer chased it and then had to resubmit the right form. From there we were 10 days processing.

I suspect something has gone wrong somewhere for your application. A doctor totally fits all the criteria for an expedited LMIA. Once you get it though, it's probably worthwhile getting an EE application sorted. Also once you have an LMIA and medical you could apply for the TWP at the border. Although my husband didn't, I didn't fancy the risk..

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 12th 2016 at 11:21 pm. Reason: Made no sense!
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CherC!

no worries! you can easily do Locum while waiting to sort everything out for your immigration to Canada.

LMIA is usually take 10 days to 2 weeks for those in high skilled jobs! i got mine that fast in Dec with all those holiday in < 2 years ago. So as Tirtory said! it is likely the Employer is not done good job or no body chasing it. The employer seem novice in the process. so email them and ask to chase it up or you can call the centre yourself.

You definitely can get your TWP at POE as I did. it is straight forward with all the right paper work...

I would say to give yourself about 3-4 weeks of having no job/work in Ontario to sort your CPSO license after your arrival!
good luck!....
Old Sep 13th 2016, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Dear Hasan78 and Tritory,
Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. My employer did this application with help of a recruiter dedicated to the area. They have now involved an immigration lawyer as well. My employer has been chasing service Canada and they have been told that they are swamped with applications and everytime they keep saying call back in another 5 business days. My employer had to leave for vacation and now they have got a lawyer involved to sort this out. I had my doubts about the way application might have been done but my employer copied me into the copy of LMIA application he had forwarded to the lawyer, where I picked on my incorrect dob, everything else seemed fine but lawyer reassured me that he will rectify the error and it will not affect LMIA processing. I tried calling Service Canada myself, but they refused to discuss anything with me- the employee. Hasan as you pointed out, once in Ontario there is piles of paperwork after LMIA and Work Permit to sort out, I am aware it will approx 4-6 weeks before I can even start work and add another 6 weeks before I can get paid,…and Winters are coming…oh how much fun that is going to be !!!!
I have already booked my flights in good faith but I m feeling really frustrated not knowing what to do.

I do have another question, Did your employers give you any assistance with relocation/ removal expenses? I asked the recruiter quite early on in the process and she said that they don't have funding anymore ??

Last edited by CherC; Sep 13th 2016 at 6:43 am.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:18 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Hasan78 and Tritory,
Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. My employer did this application with help of a recruiter dedicated to the area. They have now involved an immigration lawyer as well. My employer has been chasing service Canada and they have been told that they are swamped with applications and everytime they keep saying call back in another 5 business days. My employer had to leave for vacation and now they have got a lawyer involved to sort this out. I had my doubts about the way application might have been done but my employer copied me into the copy of LMIA application he had forwarded to the lawyer, where I picked on my incorrect dob, everything else seemed fine but lawyer reassured me that he will rectify the error and it will not affect LMIA processing. I tried calling Service Canada myself, but they refused to discuss anything with me- the employee. Hasan as you pointed out, once in Ontario there is piles of paperwork after LMIA and Work Permit to sort out, I am aware it will approx 4-6 weeks before I can even start work and add another 6 weeks before I can get paid,…and Winters are coming…oh how much fun that is going to be !!!!
I have already booked my flights in good faith but I m feeling really frustrated not knowing what to do.

I do have another question, Did your employers give you any assistance with relocation/ removal expenses? I asked the recruiter quite early on in the process and she said that they don't have funding anymore ??
No assistance here. Ontario is popular enough with immigrant doctors that they don't need to incentivize. Alberta was at the time but probably no more now..

I know when we arrived, my husband was only off for a week so clearly sorted out pretty quickly.. Also he got his first pay in the middle of February (fee for service) for his weeks in January.

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 13th 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Hello again, so the good news is that my employer finally heard from service canada & LMIA was issued yesterday. Bit relieved, as I can get on that flight now. Thanks for sharing your experiences & advise, I m sure I will be back soon with some more questions.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:11 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again, so the good news is that my employer finally heard from service canada & LMIA was issued yesterday. Bit relieved, as I can get on that flight now. Thanks for sharing your experiences & advise, I m sure I will be back soon with some more questions.

Good to hear...remember, don't forget to pack your winter Woolies
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the gentle reminder. We are used to the mild winters in England, so not looking forward to the harsh snowy winters of Ontario but I am hoping living close to the family will make up for that.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:42 am
I need a walk

Thanks for the gentle reminder. We are used to the mild winters in England, so not looking forward to the harsh snowy winters of Ontario but I am hoping living close to the family will make up for that.
You are going to need a lot more than a warm fuzzy feeling

It will seem like a mad whirlwind ( life, not the weather!) loads of paperwork, it takes a long time to get your feet back on the ground but I'm sure that you will thrive. We got through it and came out the other side as have many others

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 17th 2016 at 6:47 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Stinky pup, you are absolutely right, and there is no way one can prepare themselves for it.

On another note, I was wondering if any one can advise on GP resources that would be handy in practice. Is there anything equivalent of GP Notebook, NICE Guidelines, BNF, and Antibiotic Prescribing guidelines in Ontario province.
I am also keen to continue doing IUCD and subdermal implant fittings, how can I be certified for that in Ontario? In UK I just need diploma in sexual and reproductive health and letter of competence in IUCDs and implants, how does it work in Ontario?
Sorry too many questions but any advise will be appreciated.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:33 pm
I need a walk

No subdermal implants for contraception in Canada..

Stringent Health Canada requirements restrict access to hormonal implants - The Globe and Mail

IUDs/IUSs don't need certification in BC, doubtfully needed in Ontario.
Snoop will help with resources.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

In BC , so not Ontario specific but Canada Drug Pocket https://www.amazon.ca/Canadian-Drug-.../dp/1591032687 is a great little book
Drugs and Bugs B&D Home Page is superb- fantastic app as well- in fact just get the app- we can get free in BC- I think AB can get free as well.
Written by a local microbiologist who is one of the nicest , most helpful specialists I've ever come across, she deserves anything she gets from this.
Old Stinky reminded me re UpTo Date! No idea why I put this last. Its the most amazing website. Expensive but we get access for free via our local division of GP.
Evidence-Based Clinical Decision Support at the Point of Care | UpToDate
I refer patients to it all the time, print off info for them and use it on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.