British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/chat-canadian-family-practitioners-ex-uk-general-practitioners-781626/)

scilly Sep 20th 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1106 https://britishexpats.com/forum/imag...s/viewpost.gif
Thanks for your correction dear,what I had in mind was CRS which will lead to ITA though a minimum of 67/100 is what you need to be eligible for express.
Oh my.
My reaction exactly!

VERY patronising to one of the most helpful people on this site re rules and regulations for immigration to Canada.

Siouxie Sep 21st 2018 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Mandy1106 (Post 12565779)
Thanks for your correction dear,what I had in mind was CRS which will lead to ITA though a minimum of 67/100 is what you need to be eligible for express.

With all due respect, firstly christmasoompa is well versed in immigration matters and is one of our most valued and knowledgeable members, having worked in the immigration industry for many years. I would suggest you take heed as she is quite correct.

Unfortunately it seems that you are confusing the initial come to Canada tool with the CRS tool to ascertain points for Express Entry. Two totally different things.

CRS is where you will need in the region of 440+ points in order to obtain an ITA under Express Entry as a Federal Skilled Worker - what YOU are talking about is the initial Come to Canada wizard on the Govt. website - where you need a minimum of 67 points in order to initially qualify to apply for any of the Federal Skilled Worker routes - and where work experience years are as christmasoompa has indicated.

Perhaps it would help you to read up on Immigration and Express Entry.. :)

To ascertain if you have enough points to qualify to apply:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

To ascertain if you are likely to have sufficient points to get you an ITA:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A guide to Express Entry:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...try/works.html

If you have any questions about immigration matters, do feel free to post a thread in our Immigration forum where christmasoompa and other experts - together with members who have already been through the process - will be happy to offer you guidance.

Again, with respect, it's better NOT to offer advice on immigration matters unless you are absolutely sure you are correct. Additionally, whenever possible it's advisable to give a link to the official website, together with your suggestion - and if you are not 100% sure, perhaps put 'I believe' or 'I think' ;)

:)

spouse of scouse Sep 21st 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Mandy1106 (Post 12565779)

I hope you're not this patronising and 'I AM' with your patients :rolleyes:

christmasoompa Sep 21st 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12565797)
Oh my.

In Mandy1106's defence (although thank you lovely lot for jumping to my defence!), I don't think she's a Brit, and will be from a country where 'dear' isn't considered rude/patronising so I'm sure had no intention to be so.

Jerseygirl Sep 21st 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12565957)
In Mandy1106's defence (although thank you lovely lot for jumping to my defence!), I don't think she's a Brit, and will be from a country where 'dear' isn't considered rude/patronising so I'm sure had no intention to be so.

I thought the same. We have had similar problems in the UK Immigration forum. Some non-Brits use the term ‘dear’ as an endearment...it is not their intention to be patronizing or offensive.

Hasan78 Sep 23rd 2018 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12565957)

I think the same. it is usually out of friendliness/trying to be kind such word like dear is used in some cultures and don't think she meant to be patronizing at all.

scilly Sep 24th 2018 12:07 am

Well, I grew up in Lancashire in the 1950s and early 1960s when people still used "dear" ........... shop assistants, neighbours, policemen, bus conductors, etc etc.

It was never used by a younger person to an older person, nor to someone who knew more than you did, unless you intended to be disparaging, in which case the tone of voice indicated it.

I certainly took it as patronising or disparaging, which is why I posted above.

I'm not sure whether "dear" is still used in the North of England!

But this might also be a case of speech vs posting on the internet, when it is all too easy to be misunderstood, and hence wisest to avoid using certain terms and phrases.

Shabeena Oct 2nd 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12565635)
It may suffice, unless Shabeena wants to claim FSW points for more than 3 years (up to the max of 6 years for 15 points), if so she'll need more than 3 years. It will really depend on her FSW and CRS scores and what she's claiming for her app.

Many thanks for the clarification. Does help my case as luckily, my last 7 years was as GP partner in one practice and it is easy to get reference letter.

Shabeena Oct 2nd 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12565937)
With all due respect, firstly christmasoompa is well versed in immigration matters and is one of our most valued and knowledgeable members, having worked in the immigration industry for many years. I would suggest you take heed as she is quite correct.

Unfortunately it seems that you are confusing the initial come to Canada tool with the CRS tool to ascertain points for Express Entry. Two totally different things.

CRS is where you will need in the region of 440+ points in order to obtain an ITA under Express Entry as a Federal Skilled Worker - what YOU are talking about is the initial Come to Canada wizard on the Govt. website - where you need a minimum of 67 points in order to initially qualify to apply for any of the Federal Skilled Worker routes - and where work experience years are as christmasoompa has indicated.

Perhaps it would help you to read up on Immigration and Express Entry.. :)

To ascertain if you have enough points to qualify to apply:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

To ascertain if you are likely to have sufficient points to get you an ITA:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A guide to Express Entry:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...try/works.html

If you have any questions about immigration matters, do feel free to post a thread in our Immigration forum where christmasoompa and other experts - together with members who have already been through the process - will be happy to offer you guidance.

Again, with respect, it's better NOT to offer advice on immigration matters unless you are absolutely sure you are correct. Additionally, whenever possible it's advisable to give a link to the official website, together with your suggestion - and if you are not 100% sure, perhaps put 'I believe' or 'I think' ;)

:)

Many thanks again for pointing out the differences in each type of application.

medicm Nov 18th 2018 5:10 pm

Hey guys,

it seems that my application is going through, CPSO has accepted everything.
currently have lots of mixed feelings, excitement with worrisome
I would be really grateful if you have any advice on things I should be preparing for, looking out for before leaving UK, and starting in Canada ?
one other issue is a very simple question, would I be expected to work with my UK knowledge and guidelines ? or is there any induction pack or any resource to look at the differences of guidance ?
for instances, simple things like 1st lines abx ? inhalers ? when to refer ? etc

thanks all

Shabeena Nov 18th 2018 7:02 pm

Can I please clarify regarding Nominee Programme. Looks like it can fetch you plenty of points under CRS. I looked at Ontario International Nominee Programme(OINP) and wondered whether employers nominate you or support you for obtaining this. Will be grateful for further information.
Thanks

Siouxie Nov 19th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shabeena (Post 12595470)
Can I please clarify regarding Nominee Programme. Looks like it can fetch you plenty of points under CRS. I looked at Ontario International Nominee Programme(OINP) and wondered whether employers nominate you or support you for obtaining this. Will be grateful for further information.
Thanks

Please start a new thread in our Immigration Forum for Immigration related questions.. this thread is for general information pertaining to working as a Doctor in Canada, Immigration questions are better kept to the Immi forum where you'll get lots of help..

Shabeena Feb 26th 2019 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,
Can someone kindly point out the pros and cons of moving to Canada via work permit rather than PR. PR process seems daunting and worried will not meet the points required.

christmasoompa Feb 26th 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shabeena (Post 12644342)
Hi everyone,
Can someone kindly point out the pros and cons of moving to Canada via work permit rather than PR. PR process seems daunting and worried will not meet the points required.

As above, please ask in a new thread in the immi section of the forum. All visa related queries should be placed there, rather than on the end of an unrelated thread.

Thx.

prospectivemed Mar 4th 2019 4:57 pm

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while, as my partner and I are very interested in moving over from the UK. We are both graduates, and my partner has good basis for applying for PR as a federal skilled worker. As I have been planning to study medicine as a mature student, I would like to hear any thoughts on going to medical school in Canada once a PR, vs in the UK.

Thanks!

scilly Mar 7th 2019 2:38 am

It is probably much more expensive here!

titusbramble Mar 12th 2019 8:20 am

Hi, I've had a really good read and this is a very helpful thread, so thank you to all the contributors.

I have quite a specific issue and would be grateful for the thoughts of anyone who has gone through the system.

I am a qualified GP. My wife is an anaesthetic trainee, and is keen on a 1 year fellowship in Canada, for which there appears to be significantly less hoop-jumping required, possibly as it is an in hospital supervised post.

I was looking at options for myself to work. I would not be able/wanting to set up independent practice due to timescale, which clearly limits my options. The options for my wife's fellowship are major cities eg Vancouver/Calgary.

I understand I would need a supervisor if I were working as a GP, and I would need to pass the MCQEE (although this is not entirely clear on the Alberta website due to the changes), as well as the TDM. I would also need to pay significant fees for documents/process etc (+ visa requirements).

I am wondering whether it is practical to practice as a GP for such a short time - is the learning curve of Canadian terminology/practice long enough to make this a bad idea? Is anyone aware of any posts that would be better suited than me going the route that has been described in this thread? I had come across some 8-9 month locum post mentioned but am having difficulty tracking things down. I will probably send an email to AHS.

I suppose another option would be for me to take a year trying to develop some different skills within a directly supervised environment, eg spend time in emergency medicine/some orthopaedics. I have not found anything obviously available but there does seem to be more integration between GP and hospital work. Again, is anyone aware of anything along these lines?

General principles are that earning potential is not really a major consideration as long as there's enough to live on/pay mortgage back home.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.

Dayo Mar 24th 2019 12:16 pm

Hello Everyone,
My husband (non medical) are trying to navigate this process as we have family in Canada and would like to move soon.
im currently at the start of ST3 and due to finish in April next year but have a few questions.

A bit of background, I’m in the process of source verification so I can do the MCCQE1 exam as soon as possible and are looking at Nova Scotia mainly because of a few incentives and proximity to the UK

Does anyone have any words of advice or experience as a family physician in this province as we have 2 young kids.

Also to speed up the process and make it as efficient as possible, following MCCQE1 what would you recommend. I’ve been told that the second part can be completed in Canada?

Has anyone on this forum successfully moved straight after CCT?

Apologies for the numerous questions but there’s a lot of Info out there and it all gets confusing.

thanks in advance

scrubbedexpat048 Apr 16th 2019 10:28 am

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for the immensely helpful information in this thread. My partner and I are moving to Toronto this summer (2019) - I am a permanent resident and she is a Canadian citizen. She is also a UK-GP trainee, currently coming to the end of her ST3 year.

I am trying to still get my head around the details of the application for licensure, and wanted to check if my understanding is correct.... I think she needs to do the following:
  • Finish ST3 in the UK and obtain MRCGP and CCT
  • Get MRGP/CCT/Medical School Degree source verified through physicians apply
  • Apply to the CFCP for membership
    • followed by "Application process for recognition of training and certification from approved jurisdictions"
  • Identify an appropriate supervisor within Ontario.
  • Apply to the CPSO (Ontario licensing authority) for a restricted license.
  • Practice under supervision while studying for and sitting the MCQE1 and 2.
My questions are:
  1. I missing anything from the above process?
  2. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC).
  3. Is there a minimum length of the supervisory period - or can she apply for an independant license as soon as she has passed MCCQE1 & 2

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their advice on here over the last few years - It has been incredibly useful! And thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me with my questions!

dfytr Apr 23rd 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by rob.j (Post 12671673)
  1. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC)

healthforceontario.ca

Dr Orakzai Sep 26th 2019 5:51 pm

Hi Guys
I am aware u guys have been through a long journey to get your independent licence in Canada but how may of independent licence holder are keeping their Uk licence and doing yearly appraisal and revalidation. Would u have any plans to return to Uk?
thanks

skybluepink Sep 26th 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 12740626)
Hi Guys
I am aware u guys have been through a long journey to get your independent licence in Canada but how may of independent licence holder are keeping their Uk licence and doing yearly appraisal and revalidation. Would u have any plans to return to Uk?
thanks

I do not plan to work in the UK so I chose not keep up with reval , hence I had to relinquish my UK license

MITOOL2112 Apr 19th 2020 3:29 pm

Hello everyone. I would like to know how to start for my MCCQ PART 1 preparation.
What reasource to study(eg Toronto notes, step 2 ck or MTB) and Q banks to follow?
Another thing, do we just need to pass for get a high score?

Thank you

skybluepink Apr 19th 2020 3:47 pm

Hi , I did the exam in 2016. Toronto Notes and Q bank is all I used in terms of study material .

Also, I’d been a GP for 12 years in the UK before I moved and the experience really helped.

You just have to pass , the mark doesn’t have any other bearing as far as I’m aware .

Another thing- I did part one ,11 months after I started working in Canada as personally I felt I’d be more confident if I had some local knowledge/ work experience . There are some parts of the exam directed at how Provincial Health care is structured, care of First Nations and other Canadian healthcare specific (Public health) Issues. I wouldn’t say working here first is essential before doing the exam as you can read up the bits you need to know .

Some of the meds they use here are slightly different like the choice of antibiotic is different to what we’d use in the UK.

It was a slog as I was working , settling my family and studying but it is doable.

Good luck !

Hasan78 Apr 19th 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rob.j (Post 12671673)
Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for the immensely helpful information in this thread. My partner and I are moving to Toronto this summer (2019) - I am a permanent resident and she is a Canadian citizen. She is also a UK-GP trainee, currently coming to the end of her ST3 year.

I am trying to still get my head around the details of the application for licensure, and wanted to check if my understanding is correct.... I think she needs to do the following:
  • Finish ST3 in the UK and obtain MRCGP and CCT
  • Get MRGP/CCT/Medical School Degree source verified through physicians apply
  • Apply to the CFCP for membership
    • followed by "Application process for recognition of training and certification from approved jurisdictions"
  • Identify an appropriate supervisor within Ontario.
  • Apply to the CPSO (Ontario licensing authority) for a restricted license.
  • Practice under supervision while studying for and sitting the MCQE1 and 2.
My questions are:
  1. I missing anything from the above process?
  2. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC).
  3. Is there a minimum length of the supervisory period - or can she apply for an independant license as soon as she has passed MCCQE1 & 2

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their advice on here over the last few years - It has been incredibly useful! And thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me with my questions!

hi
Yes! you got it right. once you did your source verification then apply for CFPC membership. you will receive letter of eligibility which you can apply to CPSO for restricted license.
CPSO will give you up to 3 years to do QE! and QE2 to obtain your independent license.
look on HFO. you can email me if you are looking in Vaughan/Woodbridge area.

Hasan78 Apr 19th 2020 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 12740626)
Hi Guys
thanks

No plan to come back to uk.....so after 2nd year I stopped all appraisal nonsense.

Hasan78 Apr 19th 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by MITOOL2112 (Post 12841026)
Hello everyone. I would like to know how to start for my MCCQ PART 1 preparation.
What reasource to study(eg Toronto notes, step 2 ck or MTB) and Q banks to follow?
Another thing, do we just need to pass for get a high score?

Thank you

you dont need high score if applying for license. Q bank will be sufficient if you are practising uk doctor. good luck as now you candy QE1 I believe in uk.

Scousee May 21st 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dayo (Post 12659367)
Hello Everyone,
My husband (non medical) are trying to navigate this process as we have family in Canada and would like to move soon.
im currently at the start of ST3 and due to finish in April next year but have a few questions.

A bit of background, I’m in the process of source verification so I can do the MCCQE1 exam as soon as possible and are looking at Nova Scotia mainly because of a few incentives and proximity to the UK

Does anyone have any words of advice or experience as a family physician in this province as we have 2 young kids.

Also to speed up the process and make it as efficient as possible, following MCCQE1 what would you recommend. I’ve been told that the second part can be completed in Canada?

Has anyone on this forum successfully moved straight after CCT?

Apologies for the numerous questions but there’s a lot of Info out there and it all gets confusing.

thanks in advance

Hi Dayo

Also keen on trying to move with my son straight after my CCT - now due end of march 2021.

Also keen on the east coast. Did you do MCCQE1 yet?
Has COVID changed your CCT date etc?

crewsws Oct 13th 2020 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scousee (Post 12856390)
Hi Dayo

Also keen on trying to move with my son straight after my CCT - now due end of march 2021.

Also keen on the east coast. Did you do MCCQE1 yet?
Has COVID changed your CCT date etc?

I am confused ... I thought the college of Family Practitioners in Canada enabled British GPs with MRCGP qualification to have reciprocal certification over there without the need to do the MCCQE ..?

Siouxie Oct 14th 2020 5:05 am

Originally Posted by crewsws (Post 12921722)
I am confused ... I thought the college of Family Practitioners in Canada enabled British GPs with MRCGP qualification to have reciprocal certification over there without the need to do the MCCQE ..?

https://physiciansapply.ca/how-to-be...ian-in-canada/

Katebarnes25 Oct 20th 2020 6:25 pm

Hi,
I’m after a bit of advice. My boyfriend is a anaesthetist and is due to CCT in August 2022. We are planning on him applying for a fellowship in BC and me also coming out to work. I am a GP and will have been working for 18 months post CCT prior to starting.
The plan is to head over for a year and then return to the uk. I want to work as a GP but looking through the requirements it seems quite overwhelming!!
I am more than happy to do the exam... still unclear if I need both. My medical school is ok and on the list.
Any advice would be great!! I’m a bit lost!