British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/chat-canadian-family-practitioners-ex-uk-general-practitioners-781626/)

Hasan78 Mar 25th 2016 10:02 pm

re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

hi Dr Orakzai

I am really not sure why you are confused??

this is what your question was: Did u need supervison after showing cpso that u have done all the exam I mean mccqe1 and mccqe2?

my Answer is: No.
if you do all the exams i.e. MCCQE1 and MCCQE 2 then you are not required to do any supervision. i.e. you will get a fully independent license. However CPSO will ask that you provide a letter to say that one of the GP where you are going to work to be your mentor NOT supervisor i.e. they can answer you question about the canadian health care system. this is up to you how quickly you can learn....CPSO is not going to police this but it is less stress for you if you can approach one of the dr in the office when you are unsure of a drug for instance!!

you can PM me here and will be happy to answer any question you have. if I am around in Toronto by Oct then we can arrange to meet up and happy to answer all your question.
best of luck!!

Dr Orakzai Mar 25th 2016 10:33 pm

Hi Hasan
Thanks for the quick reply. so CPSO doesnt need to monitor you and u get independant licence to practice any where u want. so u dont need to stick with your mentor once u picked up pace and can Locum independantly once u get through the registration process?. can that be possible. I am trying to get the exam before i start working or may have MCCQE 2 out standing when starting hopefully early next year and plan to visit to see some surgery in oct this year. any guidance for MCCEE? I am doing Q-bank MCQ at current and exam in May. hopefully will PM near the time to meet up in toronto.
Thanks

Stinkypup Mar 25th 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11905600)
Hi Hasan
Thanks for the quick reply. so CPSO doesnt need to monitor you and u get independant licence to practice any where u want. so u dont need to stick with your mentor once u picked up pace and can Locum independantly once u get through the registration process?. can that be possible. I am trying to get the exam before i start working or may have MCCQE 2 out standing when starting hopefully early next year and plan to visit to see some surgery in oct this year. any guidance for MCCEE? I am doing Q-bank MCQ at current and exam in May. hopefully will PM near the time to meet up in toronto.
Thanks

Err, maybe within the province you can pick your job but you would struggle to say work in BC- you at least here have to get CCFP before you can think about moving province. The mentor has to write a basic report annually to the collegeso they do actually officially supervise you. When you get CCFP, then you don't need your mentor. This is not linked with MCQE exams which obviously have to be obtained I believe before applying for CCFP

Hasan78 Mar 25th 2016 10:56 pm

no problem!
good luck!
Well! if you have Canadian citizenship then yes! you can do Locum for sure. but if you are going to come on TWP and LMIA then no! you will only work with the employer whom did the LMIA.
read the Wiki on TWP.

if you have MCCQE 2 outstanding then you will only have provisional license.

Q bank is good enough. most of the question on MCCEE is based on practice so as practising GP it will be easy.

Stinkypup Mar 25th 2016 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hasan78 (Post 11905612)
no problem!
good luck!
Well! if you have Canadian citizenship then yes! you can do Locum for sure. but if you are going to come on TWP and LMIA then no! you will only work with the employer whom did the LMIA.
read the Wiki on TWP.

if you have MCCQE 2 outstanding then you will only have provisional license.

Q bank is good enough. most of the question on MCCEE is based on practice so as practising GP it will be easy.

Nope, not true you don't need citizenship- you need just PR and CCFP

Hasan78 Mar 25th 2016 11:03 pm

Stinkypup!
Oh! yeah! Of course! within province only! if you change province it is like changing country so start the process of registration yet again!

For Ontario, mentor don't need to submit any report to CPSO. or at least that I did not submit any till now and no one has said i suppose to do so despite being in Toronto for 1 yr now...:)

CCFP doesn't require MCQE exams as MRCGP is recognized and it exempt us from doing CCFP board exams...however, CCFP is dependent on you getting CPSO license and vis versa..

Hasan78 Mar 25th 2016 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11905615)
Nope, not true you don't need citizenship- you need just PR and CCFP

thanks! that what i meant....either PR or citizenship. .i.e. permanent status. not temporary one!

Stinkypup Mar 25th 2016 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hasan78 (Post 11905618)
Stinkypup!
Oh! yeah! Of course! within province only! if you change province it is like changing country so start the process of registration yet again!

For Ontario, mentor don't need to submit any report to CPSO. or at least that I did not submit any till now and no one has said i suppose to do so despite being in Toronto for 1 yr now...:)

CCFP doesn't require MCQE exams as MRCGP is recognized and it exempt us from doing CCFP board exams...however, CCFP is dependent on you getting CPSO license and vis versa..

Yes, kind of a catch 22- I did MCQE1 and 2 then submitted MRCGP evidence and got CCFP with no other exams.. thankfully! I would be surprised if they do not expect a brief letter from your mentor though, they are supposed to keep an eye on your practice. I would agree they aren't supervising you.:cool:

Dr Orakzai Mar 25th 2016 11:15 pm

thanks Hasan + stinky for the clarification and exam tips.
cheers

Dr Orakzai Apr 3rd 2016 3:23 pm

Hi guys
I know this is not an immigration forum but how did those of u who applied for P/r managed to get letter from medical staffing? what did u mentions in gaps i mean sitting PLAB exam for Img, doing clinical attachment awaiting for ur visa or just unemployed when awaiting a job or sitting exams? I have managed to contact the medical staff i used to work ages ago prior to my Gp training who mentions that they done keep record beyond 3 yrs, the consultant i worked with retired and the agecny through which i locumed as an Locum SHO (old days) doesnt exist. I only have NHS pay slips and probably P60 from that time.
I did email a template about what i needed written in the letter like Noc 3112 specification with my salary and details about emplyer which they are no able to provide. Need a plan to get around this.
Any advise on this Guys !!!
cheers.

snoopdawg Apr 3rd 2016 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11912527)
Hi guys
I know this is not an immigration forum but how did those of u who applied for P/r managed to get letter from medical staffing? what did u mentions in gaps i mean sitting PLAB exam for Img, doing clinical attachment awaiting for ur visa or just unemployed when awaiting a job or sitting exams? I have managed to contact the medical staff i used to work ages ago prior to my Gp training who mentions that they done keep record beyond 3 yrs, the consultant i worked with retired and the agecny through which i locumed as an Locum SHO (old days) doesnt exist. I only have NHS pay slips and probably P60 from that time.
I did email a template about what i needed written in the letter like Noc 3112 specification with my salary and details about emplyer which they are no able to provide. Need a plan to get around this.
Any advise on this Guys !!!
cheers.

Very odd- we managed to get records dating back to 1985!!! Try not just medical staffing but who ever does wages etc.

Dr Orakzai Apr 3rd 2016 5:11 pm

thanks snoops but did u get seprate letter for work and salary?. do u have a specific template u asked for ? what kind of letter did u get? Are the people at immigration intrested in all the 10yrs date to date as my gp training is recent and i have paper work for that but prior to that i havent been lucky due to odd locum works.
cheers

Hasan78 Apr 4th 2016 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11912595)
thanks snoops but did u get seprate letter for work and salary?. do u have a specific template u asked for ? what kind of letter did u get? Are the people at immigration intrested in all the 10yrs date to date as my gp training is recent and i have paper work for that but prior to that i havent been lucky due to odd locum works.
cheers

indeed very odd! the hospital usually archive the record so they should be able to pull up your record for sure. I managed to get record as far as 10 years ago. You just need to find the right person for it. However some were really limited info was given like only confirm my rotation but I contacted the consultant i worked for and email a copy of prepared letter with all the details CIC required i.e same letter with date of my job/duties etc then ask them to either modify or sign it. it doesn't matter how many letter you get. for instance HR may confirm only your date and rotation and salaries but the consultant may only confirm the duties. any info is good enough and if you don't get any letter just have the refusal email and then you can always submit a explanatory letter. Payslip/contract/ etc are can be useful.
Anyhow, for PR CIC mostly want you to list only GP training or any training related to GP vacation in order to count as experience towards points if i remember correctly so need reference for these. However in personal history section then you do need to list all the job or your life for the past 10 years!

Stinkypup Apr 4th 2016 1:13 am

I think that you need to spend some time looking back in this thread, the information is there- it just takes time to read it- there again it took time to write and seems unnecessary to rehash information which is already there if you put in some effort and look for it

Dr Orakzai Apr 4th 2016 1:10 pm

thanks for the Info. I cannot recall seeing any info about letter for hospital doctors or gp on this forum although there are general template and advise about what is required for non medical people. If there is such please link it thanks.
My Gp training record is ok but the 10 yr history has gaps and locum employment beyond year 7 so i am struggling to cover this time. If u have a LIMA ur Gp experience point are minimal compared to LIMA which soares u ahead with CIC.
will try to contact payroll to see if they are any help. Thanks