British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/chat-canadian-family-practitioners-ex-uk-general-practitioners-781626/)

Stinkypup Feb 20th 2016 5:07 pm

re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by rapidoe (Post 11873713)
Thanks for that. That's part of the problem seeing everything online, it's not always like being there! By the way this forum is an excellent source of info. I am trying to avoid really small communities where the GP has to do everything. At the moment I do most things, but try and avoid obs/gynae .
I want to set up a vasectomy service so I need a medium sized pop to build that. I read the other link re Kelowna, and sitting here watching the rain and grey skies while typing this, have to say a forest fire is like a million miles away. The drugs I heard also in Calgary are very commonly used particularly weed. The way I see it there are so many positives!

Unfortunately there is already a vasectomy service in Vernon and almost certainly Kelowna. You don't have to do everything, definitely no OBs, no ER- read about hospital privileges in the threads though as this may well involve you as Interior Health initially make you have these. Drugs are anywhere in the world. Depending what you want from life I think that this is an amazing place to live and GPland reading Pulse on line in the UK has been destroyed which is sad- basically a no brainer IMO- get yourself over here!:cool:

JonboyE Feb 20th 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by rapidoe (Post 11873684)
Can anyone advise on Vernon Delta and Trail, looking at these for possible locations. They all look beautiful. Has anyone first hand experience working in these areas?

By Delta do you mean the City of Delta in Metro Vancouver? I don’t know anything about doctoring in Delta but I do know the area well. There are three distinct communities in Delta separated by swaths of farmland (and a natural wetland). These are Tsawwassen, Ladner and North Delta.

Tsawwassen (also sometimes called South Delta) is the poshest. Well healed and affluent, there are multi-million dollar waterfront and beachfront homes. It is predominantly white (if that matters to you) and there is a private school (if that maters to you).

Ladner is a riverside village on the Fraser. IMO it has a nice, self-contained, relaxed feel. If I was trying hard to find a negative I would say that it is built on the delta. It relies on a levee to keep the river out and so is the most vulnerable place to the forces of nature. Ladner is the home to Delta’s general hospital. I am not a medic, but it seems to be looked on more as a cottage hospital rather than a full service General Hospital. Major work is sent to Vancouver or Surrey.

North Delta is more what you expect from North American suburbia. There is a wide range of economic circumstances, people have many different faces and many do not speak English as their first language. The largest immigrant community is from the Punjab but there are many others. Culturally, North Delta seems more integrated with its neighbour Surrey than the rest of Delta.

I suspect your doctoring experience will be different depending on which community you choose.

As for the wildlife, you are unlikely to come across anything that wants to eat you. If is a great place if you like birding as it is a major resting place for birds migrating up and down the west coast of the continent. Bald eagles overwinter here too.

rapidoe Feb 20th 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks Stinkypup and JohnboyE. Great to hear there is nothing there that will eat us. I ask about Delta as I know there are jobs there, just looking for info. Where I live at the moment is prone to flooding too.

snoopdawg Feb 20th 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by rapidoe (Post 11873753)
Thanks Stinkypup and JohnboyE. Great to hear there is nothing there that will eat us. I ask about Delta as I know there are jobs there, just looking for info. Where I live at the moment is prone to flooding too.

I assume you mean Delta- we do have things that will eat you!!!!:rofl:

snoopdawg Feb 20th 2016 6:08 pm

Other than a vasectomy service- and no OBGYN- is there anything else you are looking for-just to point you in other directions if you would like?

rapidoe Feb 24th 2016 8:33 pm

Got 2 possible jobs, Burnaby or Surrey. Both sound reasonable. Also one in Kelowna but split is not great. Thinking of visiting in next 4 weeks as I want to finalise things. Any and All advice appreciated. Are these locations very expensive to live in ?:fingerscrossed:

JonboyE Feb 24th 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by rapidoe (Post 11878426)
Got 2 possible jobs, Burnaby or Surrey. Both sound reasonable. Also one in Kelowna but split is not great. Thinking of visiting in next 4 weeks as I want to finalise things. Any and All advice appreciated. Are these locations very expensive to live in ?:fingerscrossed:

Ha! Expensive to buy for sure. Most people think of Surrey as cheaper but it is not always so. It gets a bad reputation because of the Whalley district. Whalley is a bit grim but may offer the most interesting doctoring challenges. Elsewhere in the city are some very good places to live.

There is some information on Burnaby and Surrey in the Vancouver section of the wiki here which might be worth a few minutes of your time. It is a few years old but still relevant. Vancouver : British Expat Wiki

Kevill12 Mar 3rd 2016 3:06 pm

Rapidoe, I was in Kelowna before Christmas looking for jobs and there were loads there, many with very attractive splits, I reckon I saw 7 offices in Kelowna and the surrounds and didn't look at a handful more, most of them looked like reasonable places to work and certainly open to negotiation on terms.
I was struck by how many more jobs there were than seemed to appear on Healthmatch's site. All of them were open to people on provisional licences. It may well be worth touching base with the Division of Family Medicine people who were incredibly helpful in both the Okanagan and in Nelson.

rapidoe Mar 3rd 2016 4:59 pm

Hi Kevill 12,

Are you living in BC or were you doing a site visit? I have 3 practices to look at near Vancouver, my wife is concerned about affordability. Kelowna looks beautiful but Snoopdawg mentioned earlier that it gets very warm in Summer. One of our kids has Albinism so we are thinking that really hot weather won't suit him. Have you provisional registration at this stage?
Thanks.

Kevill12 Mar 3rd 2016 7:22 pm

Was visiting to scope things out, have ticked all the boxes and I'm just waiting for a date from the CPSBC and the CIC. Apparently it is pretty warm in the summer, I'm told.

snoopdawg Mar 3rd 2016 11:47 pm

The Okanagan is very hot in the summer
We are semi desert- Osoyoos to the south is said to be the only desert in Canada.
So we have long, hot, dry summers. Temps can be high 30's but generally around 30- very dry heat- by late afternoon the humidity is often in the early teens. Lots of sun, rain tends to be storms.
We were in New Orleans late June last year and home was hotter!! No-one believed us!
But all the BC Southern Interior is similar- Nelson can also be hot. I know , we roasted nicely in an RV on our reccie!
As much as I love it here , I would not raise a child with Albinism here. I would look at the lower mainland or the Island- maybe one of the gulf islands although my kids would not have liked that- they were older.
For affordability plus nice weather (but not BC Southern Interior weather)- I would go to the Island- its beautiful, cheaper , should have lots of jobs!

BTW- as Kevill12 says and I keep saying- there are more jobs available than advertised! Lots! Unlike most people moving here- you can chose your preferred area and then almost certainly get a job!

Just been reading the "Victoria BC" thread- lots of great advice but and would be worth you reading

Dr Orakzai Mar 24th 2016 1:55 am

Hi guys my question is directed toward hasan78 plz. Did u need supervison after showing cpso that u have done all the exam I mean mccqe1 and mccqe2? If yes then for how long till u are able to work independantly?? Or unsupervised
Cheers

rapidoe Mar 24th 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11885823)
The Okanagan is very hot in the summer
We are semi desert- Osoyoos to the south is said to be the only desert in Canada.
So we have long, hot, dry summers. Temps can be high 30's but generally around 30- very dry heat- by late afternoon the humidity is often in the early teens. Lots of sun, rain tends to be storms.
We were in New Orleans late June last year and home was hotter!! No-one believed us!
But all the BC Southern Interior is similar- Nelson can also be hot. I know , we roasted nicely in an RV on our reccie!
As much as I love it here , I would not raise a child with Albinism here. I would look at the lower mainland or the Island- maybe one of the gulf islands although my kids would not have liked that- they were older.
For affordability plus nice weather (but not BC Southern Interior weather)- I would go to the Island- its beautiful, cheaper , should have lots of jobs!

BTW- as Kevill12 says and I keep saying- there are more jobs available than advertised! Lots! Unlike most people moving here- you can chose your preferred area and then almost certainly get a job!

Just been reading the "Victoria BC" thread- lots of great advice but and would be worth you reading

Thanks Snoop. We have decided against Kelowna. Travelling to Vancouver next week and the Island. Got a job offer in Calgary this week but I don't know if sponsorship will be approved.

Hasan78 Mar 25th 2016 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11904164)
Hi guys my question is directed toward hasan78 plz. Did u need supervison after showing cpso that u have done all the exam I mean mccqe1 and mccqe2? If yes then for how long till u are able to work independantly?? Or unsupervised
Cheers

No! i didn't need supervision but had to provide a letter to say i have one of the GP as mentor to guide me through the Canadian health system only!

Dr Orakzai Mar 25th 2016 7:26 pm

Hi hasan78
thanks for ur reply. I am confused? do u mean i dont need supervision for 3 yr or until u have cleared ur MCEQE I-II exams but still need a supervisior ??
I am planning to give all the exams prior to comming there like u have done what will be my status? am i fullly registered with CPSO or on provisional licence ? if u dont need supervision but someone to guide u how long does that last for?
thanks
Plz can i talk to u to get further input ? do u have email or mobile?
I will be grateful if u can PM me your details as i am planning to visit october this year.
Thanks