Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 26th 2019, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi Guys
I am aware u guys have been through a long journey to get your independent licence in Canada but how may of independent licence holder are keeping their Uk licence and doing yearly appraisal and revalidation. Would u have any plans to return to Uk?
thanks
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

skybluepink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
Hi Guys
I am aware u guys have been through a long journey to get your independent licence in Canada but how may of independent licence holder are keeping their Uk licence and doing yearly appraisal and revalidation. Would u have any plans to return to Uk?
thanks
I do not plan to work in the UK so I chose not keep up with reval , hence I had to relinquish my UK license
Old Apr 19th 2020, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

MITOOL2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. I would like to know how to start for my MCCQ PART 1 preparation.
What reasource to study(eg Toronto notes, step 2 ck or MTB) and Q banks to follow?
Another thing, do we just need to pass for get a high score?

Thank you
Old Apr 19th 2020, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

skybluepink is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , I did the exam in 2016. Toronto Notes and Q bank is all I used in terms of study material .

Also, I’d been a GP for 12 years in the UK before I moved and the experience really helped.

You just have to pass , the mark doesn’t have any other bearing as far as I’m aware .

Another thing- I did part one ,11 months after I started working in Canada as personally I felt I’d be more confident if I had some local knowledge/ work experience . There are some parts of the exam directed at how Provincial Health care is structured, care of First Nations and other Canadian healthcare specific (Public health) Issues. I wouldn’t say working here first is essential before doing the exam as you can read up the bits you need to know .

Some of the meds they use here are slightly different like the choice of antibiotic is different to what we’d use in the UK.

It was a slog as I was working , settling my family and studying but it is doable.

Good luck !
Old Apr 19th 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob.j
Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for the immensely helpful information in this thread. My partner and I are moving to Toronto this summer (2019) - I am a permanent resident and she is a Canadian citizen. She is also a UK-GP trainee, currently coming to the end of her ST3 year.

I am trying to still get my head around the details of the application for licensure, and wanted to check if my understanding is correct.... I think she needs to do the following:
  • Finish ST3 in the UK and obtain MRCGP and CCT
  • Get MRGP/CCT/Medical School Degree source verified through physicians apply
  • Apply to the CFCP for membership
    • followed by "Application process for recognition of training and certification from approved jurisdictions"
  • Identify an appropriate supervisor within Ontario.
  • Apply to the CPSO (Ontario licensing authority) for a restricted license.
  • Practice under supervision while studying for and sitting the MCQE1 and 2.
My questions are:
  1. I missing anything from the above process?
  2. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC).
  3. Is there a minimum length of the supervisory period - or can she apply for an independant license as soon as she has passed MCCQE1 & 2

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their advice on here over the last few years - It has been incredibly useful! And thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me with my questions!
hi
Yes! you got it right. once you did your source verification then apply for CFPC membership. you will receive letter of eligibility which you can apply to CPSO for restricted license.
CPSO will give you up to 3 years to do QE! and QE2 to obtain your independent license.
look on HFO. you can email me if you are looking in Vaughan/Woodbridge area.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
Hi Guys
thanks
No plan to come back to uk.....so after 2nd year I stopped all appraisal nonsense.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MITOOL2112
Hello everyone. I would like to know how to start for my MCCQ PART 1 preparation.
What reasource to study(eg Toronto notes, step 2 ck or MTB) and Q banks to follow?
Another thing, do we just need to pass for get a high score?

Thank you
you dont need high score if applying for license. Q bank will be sufficient if you are practising uk doctor. good luck as now you candy QE1 I believe in uk.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Scousee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dayo
Hello Everyone,
My husband (non medical) are trying to navigate this process as we have family in Canada and would like to move soon.
im currently at the start of ST3 and due to finish in April next year but have a few questions.

A bit of background, I’m in the process of source verification so I can do the MCCQE1 exam as soon as possible and are looking at Nova Scotia mainly because of a few incentives and proximity to the UK

Does anyone have any words of advice or experience as a family physician in this province as we have 2 young kids.

Also to speed up the process and make it as efficient as possible, following MCCQE1 what would you recommend. I’ve been told that the second part can be completed in Canada?

Has anyone on this forum successfully moved straight after CCT?

Apologies for the numerous questions but there’s a lot of Info out there and it all gets confusing.

thanks in advance
Hi Dayo

Also keen on trying to move with my son straight after my CCT - now due end of march 2021.

Also keen on the east coast. Did you do MCCQE1 yet?
Has COVID changed your CCT date etc?
Old Oct 13th 2020, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

crewsws is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scousee
Hi Dayo

Also keen on trying to move with my son straight after my CCT - now due end of march 2021.

Also keen on the east coast. Did you do MCCQE1 yet?
Has COVID changed your CCT date etc?
I am confused ... I thought the college of Family Practitioners in Canada enabled British GPs with MRCGP qualification to have reciprocal certification over there without the need to do the MCCQE ..?
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crewsws
I am confused ... I thought the college of Family Practitioners in Canada enabled British GPs with MRCGP qualification to have reciprocal certification over there without the need to do the MCCQE ..?
https://physiciansapply.ca/how-to-be...ian-in-canada/
Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Katebarnes25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I’m after a bit of advice. My boyfriend is a anaesthetist and is due to CCT in August 2022. We are planning on him applying for a fellowship in BC and me also coming out to work. I am a GP and will have been working for 18 months post CCT prior to starting.
The plan is to head over for a year and then return to the uk. I want to work as a GP but looking through the requirements it seems quite overwhelming!!
I am more than happy to do the exam... still unclear if I need both. My medical school is ok and on the list.
Any advice would be great!! I’m a bit lost!