Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by medicm
Hi all
it looks like a very useful forum, I've had a good look at many of the posts, but I may need some new info as things keep changing in Canada and its territories.
I'm a newly qualified GP, did all my foundation and GP training in UK.
Im waiting for my CCT and MRCGP paperwork to come through. I'm quite keen to work in Ontario specifically.
I'm wondering if there is anyone here had gone through the process of applying for CFPC Certification with/without Examination?
Thank You
hi Medicm
there is not much changes to registering as GP in Ontario but has been changes to immigration side. so look through and you will find handful of info on the threat. for Ontario, your MRCGP will get you to register for CFPC without any examination but you do need to do MCCQE1 and 2 for registering with CPSO (equivalent of GMC). get onto mcc.ca to get your docs source verified first..

Last edited by Hasan78; Jan 14th 2018 at 9:50 pm. Reason: corrected misspell
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

medicm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Hasan78
hi Medicm
there is not much changes to registering as GP in Ontario but has been changes to immigration side. so look through and you will find handful of info on the threat. for Ontario, your MRCGP will get you to register for CFPC without any examination but you do need to do MCCQE1 and 2 for registering with CPSO (equivalent of GMC). get onto mcc.ca to get your docs source verified first..
Thanks Hasan78
im presuming I can still do QE1 and 2 whilst im working in a practice in Ontario? I have read somewhere that doctors are given up to 3 yrs to perform those 2 exams, is that still up to date?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hasan78
im presuming I can still do QE1 and 2 whilst im working in a practice in Ontario? I have read somewhere that doctors are given up to 3 yrs to perform those 2 exams, is that still up to date?
Yes! you can. I think CPSO give you supervision license for 1yr then extend but I believe it is up to 3 yrs to do QE1 and QE 2. You can do those exams easily with some prep as recently done your MRCGP so I suggest do source verification and while waiting for approval fly to Canada to do these exams. having full independent license give you more option in finding job. do look at immigration side too to ensure you are getting you PR as you know going back becoming more difficult...good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hasan78
Yes! you can. I think CPSO give you supervision license for 1yr then extend but I believe it is up to 3 yrs to do QE1 and QE 2. You can do those exams easily with some prep as recently done your MRCGP so I suggest do source verification and while waiting for approval fly to Canada to do these exams. having full independent license give you more option in finding job. do look at immigration side too to ensure you are getting you PR as you know going back becoming more difficult...good luck!
I'll start SVR soon.
I'm not worried about immigration as I hold a Canadian PR, I did my immigration few years ago, and I did the landing 2 yrs ago. thanks a lot for the advice
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start SVR soon.
I'm not worried about immigration as I hold a Canadian PR, I did my immigration few years ago, and I did the landing 2 yrs ago. thanks a lot for the advice
Presumably you are on course for maintaining PR status by living here long enough rather than landing and flying straight back without spending time in Canada since?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Presumably you are on course for maintaining PR status by living here long enough rather than landing and flying straight back without spending time in Canada since?
Yes, Thats the plan now.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Thats the plan now.
Just trying to make sure that "landing 2 years ago" wasn't actually something over 2 but short of 3 and if you'd not been in Canada since, there might be a nasty surprise at the next PR Card renewal.

We occasionally read someone landed but delayed the actual move so long they they no longer meet PR conditions.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just trying to make sure that "landing 2 years ago" wasn't actually something over 2 but short of 3 and if you'd not been in Canada since, there might be a nasty surprise at the next PR Card renewal.

We occasionally read someone landed but delayed the actual move so long they they no longer meet PR conditions.
You're absolutely right, I normally visit my family at least twice a year spending a couple of weeks each time. I know that I have to maintain a specific total no of days. Soon, I should make the decision whether to come and stay or to start thinking about getting an immigration solicitor.
thanks for the advice mate.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:26 am
Oscar nominated

You're absolutely right, I normally visit my family at least twice a year spending a couple of weeks each time. I know that I have to maintain a specific total no of days. Soon, I should make the decision whether to come and stay or to start thinking about getting an immigration solicitor.
thanks for the advice mate.
The Immigration part of the Canada forum will likely have useful examples as well as a number of experts there.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

banana_1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone!
I'm looking into how to get licensed as a GP in British Columbia. I think I am eligible for CCFP without examination as I have the MRCGP, but I'm not sure what this actually means? Does this grant me a full licence (without need to complete the MCCQE-1 and 2?

I don't have 8 weeks in a standalone paediatrics job. I wonder how others in a similar situation have managed to tick this box? Would a letter from a clinical supervisor detailing experience of paediatrics within a GP or A+E rotation suffice? It would be difficult to get a paeds job in my area as they are all training posts.

Thanks for your help - I've tried contacting healthmatch BC but not received a reply
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banana_1234
Hi everyone!
I'm looking into how to get licensed as a GP in British Columbia. I think I am eligible for CCFP without examination as I have the MRCGP, but I'm not sure what this actually means? Does this grant me a full licence (without need to complete the MCCQE-1 and 2?

I don't have 8 weeks in a standalone paediatrics job. I wonder how others in a similar situation have managed to tick this box? Would a letter from a clinical supervisor detailing experience of paediatrics within a GP or A+E rotation suffice? It would be difficult to get a paeds job in my area as they are all training posts.

Thanks for your help - I've tried contacting healthmatch BC but not received a reply
Hello - welcome!

Even with MRCGP you need to be in a supervised role and do the QE1 and QE2 within three years. In reality supervision is independent practice with someone around to ask questions if needed no teaching as such

With regards to paeds you will have no option but to do the attachment. I didnt have psych and tried various letters from VTS and colleagues but they wouldnt accept them. You can do a locum for 8 weeks as long as it has an acceptable educational plan. Other than that I have heard of folk do odd days here and there to add up to the necessary 8 weeks

Any queries feel free to PM me! I have been in BC for two months now - its a royal pain getting here but its worth it
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

A bit off-topic here.

I'm in Quebec, in a large city. My wife got a letter on Friday telling her that she had been assigned a family doctor.

She'd been on the waiting list for eight years!

It's the same with nursing. My SIL is a hospital nurse on Montreal's South Shore. At times, there is one nurse for 70 patients.

Ditto the two Gatineau hospitals. Patients left on stretchers in a corridor for 48 hours?

It beggars belief.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

YEBAAT is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, i am a new member here. i am in 4th year of gp training in ireland. i enquired about BC registration. They are looking for 8 weeks of surgical rotation. any one had similar experience and how did you do this missing rotation??
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by YEBAAT
...how did you do this missing rotation??
Take turns.

(sorry )
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:37 am
Just Joined

dr604 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

First time poster.
I'm a GP living in Vancouver. Has anyone else used a financial advisor for advice regarding savings, investments, pension etc?
Any leads or recommendations would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.