Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi all,
It's crunch time for us: we're trying to decide on the clinic to choose and seeing the terms on paper has given us pause for thought. We would appreciate any advice as the two contenders are pretty different and it's quite a daunting task. If anyone is happy to have a quick read over the details let me know and I'll pm you the specifics - I'd rather not post them in a public forum.

Many thanks

Last edited by Verdant; Oct 12th 2017 at 8:26 am.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by ecokid
Hi all,
It's crunch time for us: we're trying to decide on the clinic to choose and seeing the terms on paper has given us pause for thought. We would appreciate any advice as the two contenders are pretty different and it's quite a daunting task. If anyone is happy to have a quick read over the details let me know and I'll pm you the specifics - I'd rather not post them in a public forum.

Many thanks
I think I saw most of it before you edited your post, in which case I would say I like a bit of both!!!!
But message me the specifics again and Stinky and I will get back to you, if he hasn't already pm'd you.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I think I saw most of it before you edited your post, in which case I would say I like a bit of both!!!!
But message me the specifics again and Stinky and I will get back to you, if he hasn't already pm'd you.
Haha, you were super fast as I edited pretty quickly! I've sent Stinky a PM with the info that I had previously posted. It's quite frustrating as we were hoping for the perfect clinic to fall on our laps.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

oastgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I'm a mature ( 52) UK GP partner married to a stressed out Surgeon. He is thinking of slightly early retirement from the NHS and I fancy spending a few years practising for a few years in Interior BC before maybe doing some work in third world countries. He'd build an aeroplane and be very happy. We both love skiing , swimming in lakes and Pickleball! Canadians will know what this is!
We don't need to worry about pensions as have fully paid up NHS ones and few other investments. I have grown up kids and all parents dead. I call it "adventure before dementia".
However, reading on here from beginning to end I see that there are a lot of difficult hoops to jump through including me getting some psychiatry experience as like Rich I don't have this. I have MRCGP and everything else required for BC.
For those of you who have done it , would you say it's not worth it for just 2-3 years?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:52 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oastgirl
Hi all,
I'm a mature ( 52) UK GP partner married to a stressed out Surgeon. He is thinking of slightly early retirement from the NHS and I fancy spending a few years practising for a few years in Interior BC before maybe doing some work in third world countries. He'd build an aeroplane and be very happy. We both love skiing , swimming in lakes and Pickleball! Canadians will know what this is!
We don't need to worry about pensions as have fully paid up NHS ones and few other investments. I have grown up kids and all parents dead. I call it "adventure before dementia".
However, reading on here from beginning to end I see that there are a lot of difficult hoops to jump through including me getting some psychiatry experience as like Rich I don't have this. I have MRCGP and everything else required for BC.
For those of you who have done it , would you say it's not worth it for just 2-3 years?
As you say, there are indeed a lot of hoops to jump through and for two or three years then no I wouldn't bother. Why Canada out of interest, with no great UK ties,why not Oz? Skiing not a patch but I believe a damn site less hoop jumping required. Pickleball... Yeah, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, it is becoming popular apparently but it doesn't appeal
Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks stinkypup for that. Why Canada: well I like BC and proximity to the Uk. However, I'm beginning to think you are right, there is a lot less hoop jumping for Oz and this might be a better match for just having an adventure abroad and using my skills for a few years. I can always holiday in Canada in my retirement. I went to a BMJ careers event in London yesterday and talked to Healthmatch and Oz recruiters. It was surprisingly fun, people were trying to entice me to go teach at a medical school campus in Malaysia, switch to psychiatry or work anywhere else in the U.K. because they are desperate for doctors. However going to Yorkshire in the future just doesn't do it for me! I could feel guilty about jumping ship in due course but I've worked 26 years for the NHS 😇
Old Oct 21st 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi oastgirl. Its taken me 18 months to get to the stage where we can book flights and look for accomodation and we plan to go in about 4 weeks!
You effectively need proof of every job you have ever worked in all the way to qualification so its a big effort then you have to do exams if you plan to stay longer than 3 years.
Personally I wouldnt have gone through this if we werent planning on staying there as its very stressful and has taken over our lives for the past 18 months - I have no idea what I will talk to my wife about once we get over there
Old Oct 21st 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rich. Out of interest, how did you get that proof? Most of the people I worked for as HO/SHO would be dead by now! The guy at Healthmatch yesterday gave me the impression the GMC would have that in their archives but from what you say, it doesn't sound that easy. I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's Oz for me. I spoke to some nice Ozzies yesterday and they couldn't believe the long days that I put in here. I hope the move goes well, very exciting and scary at the same time. I'd love to know how life compares.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies in advance as I know this is not an immigration forum but my question is linked with full registration, which is tied up with one getting permanent residence before they can apply for full registration.
I have a TWP from my LMIA issued recently but score less than 400 to be eligible for express entry or pnp. Have any one heard of a Dual Intent LMIA which can be applied by employers to help candidate achieve permanent residency and which is crucial to gain full registration. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
Apologies in advance as I know this is not an immigration forum but my question is linked with full registration, which is tied up with one getting permanent residence before they can apply for full registration.
I have a TWP from my LMIA issued recently but score less than 400 to be eligible for express entry or pnp. Have any one heard of a Dual Intent LMIA which can be applied by employers to help candidate achieve permanent residency and which is crucial to gain full registration. Thanks in advance.
when I get my full registration with CPSO I only had TWP. I was never asked for PR.
LMIA is only getting you points for the job whether it is for TWP or PR.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78. Thanks for your quick response. Below is link to cpso website
http://www.cpso.on.ca/Registering-to-Practise-Medicine-in-Ontario/Registration-Requirements/Independent-Practice-Certificate-of-Registration
on point 5 says pr or citizenship?
any advise. Have u managed to get full registration recently?
alas lately the 600 point of lmia are gone so that why I am unable to progress my pr express entry application.
thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
Hasan78. Thanks for your quick response. Below is link to cpso website
| Independent Practice Certificate of Registration | Registration Requirements | Applicant Information | College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
on point 5 says pr or citizenship?
any advise. Have u managed to get full registration recently?
alas lately the 600 point of lmia are gone so that why I am unable to progress my pr express entry application.
thanks
I got mine in 2015 ....have you applied? I think If you get TWP then you will be given your license.
yes! LMIA job now only attract 50 points I believe. are you already on TWP in Canada??
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oastgirl
Thanks Rich. Out of interest, how did you get that proof? Most of the people I worked for as HO/SHO would be dead by now! The guy at Healthmatch yesterday gave me the impression the GMC would have that in their archives but from what you say, it doesn't sound that easy. I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's Oz for me. I spoke to some nice Ozzies yesterday and they couldn't believe the long days that I put in here. I hope the move goes well, very exciting and scary at the same time. I'd love to know how life compares.
Hi. I got my HO proof from the medical school they keep a transcript on file, my VTS jobs were held by the GMC again you need to request off them. After that I had to contact any surgeries I had worked at to get letters off them! Its a bit of an ordeal to get them all but I managed in the end.
Good luck with Oz if you choose there
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi hasan 78
I have attained my TWP after long wait and am starting in Scarborough GTA next week.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi all. So we've decided on the clinic and we are due to be moving to Vancouver Island in February - although I'm sure it's going to take longer than this due to Christmas.

For prospective doctors, I would stress that if the province has a centralised recruitment
service for foreign doctors, like BC does, then it's worth the hassle of additional paperwork (over direct recruitment) as not only do you have someone to show you around and give you a genuine perspective on the area, but a point of contact to help you get established once you land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.