Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Snowroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Thank you for your very informative replies, especially Stinkypup, Richb1970 and Collie. Your answers allow us to move forward with our plan. And OK, I will go through the entire thread...
With us, too, it's not about the money, but rather quality of life. But money has to be factored in, with the expected £30k we'll have to spend getting the PR and ourselves to Canada.
Re Kelowna, from this thread one can get the impression that it's becoming a British colony (:
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Tameside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by ecokid
I’d echo what others have said – you do need to read through this thread in its entirety as it really is a treasure trove of useful information. Most of our questions (related to GP’ing in Canada) were answered as well as other questions we hadn’t even thought of. Also, it’s a little bit churlish to snap at those who give their time freely and have helped others make the move. Financially, Canada is better than the UK (not too sure about Australia due to high pay and also lower tax system, but as with all things there are downsides despite what recruiters would tell you (sorting out your own pension, some of the systems seem a little behind NHS, patients understand that you're a business and therefore treat you as such). Also, the greater financial rewards are in underserved areas, which tend to be either small communities or rural (and often difficult to get to ) towns. It is worth visiting Canada (especially the areas other than Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver to get a feel for the place) - we fell in love with the country when my partner was out there doing his elective in Kelowna (B.C) back in 09 and decided once we had enough experience and money we’d make the move.

Our contracts for the house are being exchanged this week. Also, our itinerary is pretty much sorted for August/September trip. Just need to get through the move in one piece - namely moving our 21 yr old cat to Wales to retire.
Thanks for the reply and good luck with the move
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowroll
Thank you for your very informative replies, especially Stinkypup, Richb1970 and Collie.
Apologies, I just realised that I forgot to thank snoopdawg as well. Couldn't edit my previous post.
So thank you, snoopdawg and everybody else, for the patience and for answering my questions .
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Toryhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

<snip> the word on the street is that most go through healthmatch and depending on the province that you choose, their local health authority should sponsor you for a 'supervisory period' - GP's I've spoken to have had to take some paeds training but it appears to not be a big deal.

Originally Posted by segs
Hello there,
I hope you can help on this 'medical training/qualifications' question

What evidence can a current UK salaried GP of 3 years standing provide to 'prove' competency in paediatrics and emergency medicine to the various provincial medical colleges if the said GP did not do a paediatrics or emergency medicine rotation during GPVTS training?

Rotations completed were
Medicine
Psychiatry
ENT/Opthamology
Obs and Gynae
And GP registrar year

Any advice would be appreciated especially if you've come across someone who has overcome this 'deficiency'

Thanks in advance

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 17th 2017 at 9:25 pm. Reason: Sorry, but site rule 9, you cannot direct anybody to your services. Pls do re-read the site Rules before posting further! Thx
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Toryhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I have managed a GP Practice in BC for the past six years, having done the same thing in the UK for the NHS - the obvious difference is in payment - fee for service is the general rule with incentives for complex and chronic issues, BC offers incentives for doctors willing to take on new patients with complex issues. The demand for family physicians is a real issue, most patients resorting to the use of walk in clinics because of the lack of GP's. The lifestyle and flexibility that is afforded to doctors here by far exceeds that in the UK and provided you have good admin support within your office, you will find the transition a smooth one (hopefully).
Old Jul 18th 2017, 12:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryhunt
<snip> the word on the street is that most go through healthmatch and depending on the province that you choose, their local health authority should sponsor you for a 'supervisory period' - GP's I've spoken to have had to take some paeds training but it appears to not be a big deal.
You do realize that the post you quoted was from about 5 years ago? Most indeed do go through Healthmatch in BC although you can find a job without them and as has been discussed in the thread, in BC you have to have a supervisor for a time- ours certainly didn't do a whole lot of supervising! We had to do some paeds, it was certainly doable but was quite hard work, others in the forum have had to do some psychiatry.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryhunt
I have managed a GP Practice in BC for the past six years, having done the same thing in the UK for the NHS - the obvious difference is in payment - fee for service is the general rule with incentives for complex and chronic issues, BC offers incentives for doctors willing to take on new patients with complex issues. The demand for family physicians is a real issue, most patients resorting to the use of walk in clinics because of the lack of GP's. The lifestyle and flexibility that is afforded to doctors here by far exceeds that in the UK and provided you have good admin support within your office, you will find the transition a smooth one (hopefully).
Lol!
Actually from a managerial point of view the best news is the lack of expensive admin staff that we had in the UK.
From a staff level of 20-30 - who knows they seemed to increase daily in the U.K.- for 3 docs, we have 5 staff for 5 docs, one of which is our manager.
They work hard and we work hard.
It's one of the reasons why overheads are low and lifestyle is better!

There are a lot of changes coming on Oct 1st , one of which is that 14074 is ending, seems short sighted to me.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Lol!
There are a lot of changes coming on Oct 1st , one of which is that 14074 is ending, seems short sighted to me.
Excuse my ignorance, but out of interest what does 14074 entail? I hope your summer is going well - it's been pretty good here so far (well weather wise, politics not so much). Gearing up for our visit out there in a month. Last few weeks have been rather stressful with the house sale and move, I'm so ready for the vacation!

Last edited by Verdant; Jul 20th 2017 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecokid
Excuse my ignorance, but out of interest what does 14074 entail? I hope your summer is going well - it's been pretty good here so far (well weather wise, politics not so much). Gearing up for our visit out there in a month. Last few weeks have been rather stressful with the house sale and move, I'm so ready for the vacation!
It's a billing code , we were being paid to take on " in need" patients eg elderly, high needs patients,mums/ newborns. It seemed to be working well, encouraging us to squeeze a few extra in!!!
You slowly get to learn the codes.
Yes, summer is excellent but about to nose dive as we return to work!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Brainwave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowroll
Thank you for your very informative replies, especially Stinkypup, Richb1970 and Collie. Your answers allow us to move forward with our plan. And OK, I will go through the entire thread...
With us, too, it's not about the money, but rather quality of life. But money has to be factored in, with the expected £30k we'll have to spend getting the PR and ourselves to Canada.
Re Kelowna, from this thread one can get the impression that it's becoming a British colony (:

Without wanting to be rude, I just wanted to point out that to some of us British Asians, the Colonial past of Britain reminds us of the ruthlessness, exploitation of native people, not to mention of gross abuses human rights and crimes committed that would be akin to war crimes( I can give numerous examples to back this up) committed during those times.
It surely is not something I would associate with a smiley face and certainly not something to be proud of, it really gets my back up when I see some of my Caucasian British friends quote the colonial past as if it is a matter of pride.
And sorry there are no British Colonies anymore, thank god for that, and Rant Over !!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:41 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brainwave
Without wanting to be rude, I just wanted to point out that to some of us British Asians, the Colonial past of Britain reminds us of the ruthlessness, exploitation of native people, not to mention of gross abuses human rights and crimes committed that would be akin to war crimes( I can give numerous examples to back this up) committed during those times.
It surely is not something I would associate with a smiley face and certainly not something to be proud of, it really gets my back up when I see some of my Caucasian British friends quote the colonial past as if it is a matter of pride.
And sorry there are no British Cols anymore, thank god for that, and Rant Over !!
I get what you are saying but I think that you knew exactly what the poster meant and just felt like a rant...your prerogative of course....a misplaced and unnecessary rant however imo. There are fair numbers of Brits in the Okanagan who in theory make up a community, a synonym for colony

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jul 28th 2017 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And sorry there are no British Colonies anymore, thank god for that, and Rant Over !!
Blimey. I think you're reading far too much in to a simple comment, and are misunderstanding (I hope) the intended use of the word colony.

The common usage is just an area where those with common nationality or interests live - 'an artists colony', 'a British colony in the Dordogne' etc. Let's give Snowroll the benefit of the doubt and assume he just meant that rather than something else eh?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Hi All

Maybe I over reacted, and I definitely did not wish to offend anyone or distract from the real topic ie help for family Physicians who wish to relocate.
But a "British Community" sounding a lot more pleasing than British Colony ;-)
btw just hoping that federals wont bring about tax changes, it feels like that all the trouble have started in GP life since I landed !
First the attachment initiative is going, and now the horrible tax changes which will take away the financial benefit of making the move , if implemented!
There are other benefits ofcourse, but the financial benefit will surely be gone if they have their way. Hoping for the best!
btw there is a lot more autonomy here than the UK so perhaps financial benefit is not such a huge factor.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi All

btw just hoping that federals wont bring about tax changes, it feels like that all the trouble have started in GP life since I landed !
First the attachment initiative is going, and now the horrible tax changes which will take away the financial benefit of making the move , if implemented!
There are other benefits ofcourse, but the financial benefit will surely be gone if they have their way. Hoping for the best!
Interesting.
Following your post, I ran a search and found these:
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...-to-leave.html

Tax changes proposed by Trudeau government are unfair and could have many uninte

Not very encouraging.
How likely is it to be implemented?
I would appreciate any views on this.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Not sure

Haven't been here long enough to understand their politics ,currently back in UK for a couple of weeks to deal
with a few issues.
But it surely will take away some benefit + NDP BC talk about increasing personal tax , it may be a big knock .
On the positive side, I have had good experience of clinical life so far

Hope they see the light as Australia would surely welcome the new Canadian GP exodus if they implement it.

Following your post, I ran a search and found these:
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...-to-leave.html

Tax changes proposed by Trudeau government are unfair and could have many uninte

Not very encouraging.
How likely is it to be implemented?
I would appreciate any views on this.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.