Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Thanks for the reply. My wording here is not how i correspond to my potential employers. This is a forum so i keep things informal. Health force Ontario advisors have been made redundant and are advising us to look at the potential employer for ourself on their website rather then them send out our CV. You would have been lucky few years back.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 1:26 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Well I've just had a browse of the HFO website and there are many jobs with supervision listed, if you use the filters to narrow them down. We found my husbands job via this page and asked them to send our cv off. You don't necessarily get first pick of where you want to go though...

The other option is to pass the exams and then you will no longer need supervision.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Calling on Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitionersa

Thanks for taking time to look at those numerous jobs at hfo. Of those 200 such jobs offering supervison to which I have already applied or called whom have multiple openings, Bearley 1 or 2 are able to provide supervisor and work permit(Lmia) who are offering binding contract for 5 yr. These are not employer I would recommend anyone. U still need mentorship/supervision paper work despite clearing all exam to show cpso that u are ok so no way out despite getting exams out. It seems recruitment has taken a down turn despite their need for doctor in ontario and alberta due to colleges and Immigration restrictions.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 2:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling on Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitionersa

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
Thanks for taking time to look at those numerous jobs at hfo. Of those 200 such jobs offering supervison to which I have already applied or called whom have multiple openings, Bearley 1 or 2 are able to provide supervisor and work permit(Lmia) who are offering binding contract for 5 yr. These are not employer I would recommend anyone. U still need mentorship/supervision paper work despite clearing all exam to show cpso that u are ok so no way out despite getting exams out. It seems recruitment has taken a down turn despite their need for doctor in ontario and alberta due to colleges and Immigration restrictions.
I know that this has been mentioned before, but I seriously would advise trying to adapt your writing style. You have used the term "informal"- I would suggest that you practice writing in a more formal style so that when you do your applications, then these may present better to prospective employers. If you check out posts on this thread,indeed, on the rest of the Canadian forum, I don't think you will spot many who write in your informal writing style. It is always good to practice on forums such as this amongst friends.

I cannot comment on the issues with Ontario but it seems that there are jobs, TiryTory's other half managed to get one where he wanted with supervision thus suggesting that this is not by any means impossible. I cannot imagine that the situation has changed that much over not a particularly long length of time.

In Alberta, I think that they certainly have tightened up and they expect you to do your penance perhaps away from more popular areas and expect you to work in the sticks. Reimbursement is both higher in Alberta as well as Ontario compared to where we work but obviously there are potential downsides and one has to work out what one ultimately wants from life. I don't think that any of this is unobtainable for you, you just need to persist, perhaps compromise initially at least until you have settled and if necessary once you have gained the necessary pieces of paper and you are not happy then you can probably move elsewhere within the Province, at that time without the need for supervisor.

Quite often, in the past, South African doctors seemed to need for whatever reason, probably through some regulation at the time to do time in the less favorable areas of Saskatchewan before moving to other areas-in our area obviously heading for jobs in BC. Obviously other provinces are available!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 3rd 2016 at 3:48 am. Reason: I can't spell
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Stinky and Tirytory (?) ............ I know I'm not medical, and I have difficulty like all of us understanding what has been written on here, but my understanding of English and deciphering difficult phraseology is pretty good .......

the phrase in red stood out for me.

Am I understanding that Dr Orakzai is wanting a position where the clinic will offer a Binding Contract with supervision for 5 years??

If that is what is meant ................ are such contracts offered? Is that a possible reason why there is no follow-up for him?

(and please don't ask why I suddenly decided to look on this thread ............. boredom I think )
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 3:52 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Stinky and Tirytory (?) ............ I know I'm not medical, and I have difficulty like all of us understanding what has been written on here, but my understanding of English and deciphering difficult phraseology is pretty good .......

the phrase in red stood out for me.

Am I understanding that Dr Orakzai is wanting a position where the clinic will offer a Binding Contract with supervision for 5 years??

If that is what is meant ................ are such contracts offered? Is that a possible reason why there is no follow-up for him?

(and please don't ask why I suddenly decided to look on this thread ............. boredom I think )
I wander around the forums Scilly when I get bored as well so don't worry, I've posted on the Barbie on the Oz forums once in a while! That puzzled me too. In BC we don't have a binding contract for any period. Each side needs a get out clause. TT has more local knowledge so she may be able to enlighten us.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!

I had to decipher a lot of my boss's unintelligible writing (handwriting AND language) for other members of staff and when I was editing his manuscripts. Good training!!!

We come across quite a few foreign trained doctors doing the FP Residency at the clinic we go to at the university ....... it's interesting to hear their stories!

As a matter of interest ............... most of the Residents who go through that programme, and most especially the foreign trained ones, have to go "up-country" for at least 2 years after their residencies are complete.

It seems to depend on who sponsored them ..... I'd love to know what happened to one particular doctor sponsored by Northern Health who ended up in Terrace. He was a superb doctor! But he had also spent 3 months between years 1 and 2 interning in Inuvik.

He was from a former British colony in Africa, and loved the north and all that came with it!
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that I am struggling to find an employer that would sponsor a work permit and also be my supervisor and provide a reasonable contract that both party can agree. I have managed to come across 2 employer who are wanting me to work for them for minimum 3-5 yr without any get out clause or notice, because they are applying for a work permit and providing supervison. The leave notice only applies after I have committed 3-5 years and then they will take a 6 months notice for me to leave them. Any early termination will have legal implications. So from where I see it, that is the bounded contract I am talking about. What I would like is 2-3 year contract with mutal 3 months termination notice from both sides at any time. I guess employer want to squeeze as much out of you and exploit us just because they have applied for a Lmia for you. I can forward a contract copy if someone is intrested in seeing it.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:17 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that I am struggling to find an employer that would sponsor a work permit and also be my supervisor and provide a reasonable contract that both party can agree. I have managed to come across 2 employer who are wanting me to work for them for minimum 3-5 yr without any get out clause or notice, because they are applying for a work permit and providing supervison. The leave notice only applies after I have committed 3-5 years and then they will take a 6 months notice for me to leave them. Any early termination will have legal implications. So from where I see it, that is the bounded contract I am talking about. What I would like is 2-3 year contract with mutal 3 months termination notice from both sides at any time. I guess employer want to squeeze as much out of you and exploit us just because they have applied for a Lmia for you. I can forward a contract copy if someone is intrested in seeing it.
Well a contract protects you too especially if you need to pass both exams, even applying for them and passing straight away took 18 months then you need to get your license. In reality we have been here 2.5 yrs and only now thinking of moving employers so three years doesn't sound out of the way. In a new place it really does fly.. Although I understand circumstances change so you do need some notice period..

But I don't understand what you mean about the exams, once passed you can apply for a full license and will no longer need a supervisor.

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 3rd 2016 at 11:20 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

I agree contract protects me as well but as u said if things change the current employer were not flexible because of providing Lmia. Passing exam does qualify one for full registration but the supervison is converted to mentorship as discussed with hasan78 in post 271 of this forum. So I guess, I will still be needing some association with a canadian gp for some time till I am up and running and this does involve giving gp names with good standing with the cpso and filling in paper work. I am planning to sit the mccqe1 soon anyhow.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 3:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

I agree contract protects me as well but as u said if things change the current employer were not flexible because of providing Lmia. Passing exam does qualify one for full registration but the supervison is converted to mentorship as discussed with hasan78 in post 271 of this forum. So I guess, I will still be needing some association with a canadian gp for some time till I am up and running and this does involve giving gp names with good standing with the cpso and filling in paper work. I am planning to sit the mccqe1 soon anyhow.
I read post #271 and I think you misunderstand what Hasan meant, I read it as very informal ie once exams have been passed, you don't need to look for a supervisor merely a colleague who will offer to be there to answer any questions and will write a letter as such. Far less onerous on an employer than a supervisory position, not that supervision was onerous really, Hasan also said they don't police it. This should widen your employment options, so impress your new employer and it shouldn't be a problem, for the exams sat and passed option of course!
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 3:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Of course you haven't mentioned the alternative visa route which is gain PR before coming via Express Entry and you don't need an LMIA...
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh well mentioned!!! Good of you to think laterally. I dont qualify for PR based on MRCGP + Uk experience and having IELTS score of 7. My EE score are 380 points and I need something over 450 points now to qualify for Express Entry. LMIA grants me 600 point so i need a LMIA without which it wont work.
I am half way through my exam as have booked MCCQE1 in october this year and would like to leave prior to MCCQE2 exam hopefully next year, so leaves me with little options other than needing a supervised + LMIA position. I feel recruitment might worsening the more i stay in Uk to wait to clear my exams to gain full registration.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:34 pm
I need a walk

Ahh well mentioned!!! Good of you to think laterally. I dont qualify for PR based on MRCGP + Uk experience and having IELTS score of 7. My EE score are 380 points and I need something over 450 points now to qualify for Express Entry. LMIA grants me 600 point so i need a LMIA without which it wont work.
I am half way through my exam as have booked MCCQE1 in october this year and would like to leave prior to MCCQE2 exam hopefully next year, so leaves me with little options other than needing a supervised + LMIA position. I feel recruitment might worsening the more i stay in Uk to wait to clear my exams to gain full registration.
I think you would struggle to get both before working in Canada, they are Canadian orientated exams, particularly part 2
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advise. That why i am planning to get QE1 out first and likely do the QE2 when i have worked there for a while. Having passed the MCCEE have given me some confidence that it can be done. I Just need to work hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.