Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:58 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Gowest
Unless your husband has passed LMCC he will start work as a provisionally registered GP which means he will have to have a mentor/supervisor. How involved they are will vary but that was one criteria for me in choosing a practice. I wanted to be somewhere with a teaching type ethos.
He will then have more support than a lone locum wandering round NHS practices.
I'm now 4 weeks from starting and I'm terrified but others have done in and survived. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
You will be fine! You will be settling in, in no time
Old Jun 5th 2016, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi Dorabug- great name and welcome!
Vernon is a great community.
It pretty much has everything as long as you don't want to live in a big city. I'm not a city person so I'm content! The place we lived in Norfolk before here was much more isolated in some ways.
It does get hot- early heatwave this weekend- touched 31 this afternoon but a very dry heat- humidity now 31%- in summer it gets down to the low teens.
Winters are ok- can be socked in with cloud sometimes but sun is usually to be found on the ski hills. Rarely gets really cold but can do- generally between 0 to -10- but the last two winters much warmer. I've known down to -20-30, but this is rare. Last 2 years spring started about late January! Summer early April- can be T shirt weather to late October but don't quote me. Autumn is November I suppose.
Late March it was possible to ski in the am, golf in the afternoon and get out on the lake afterwards- people were on the beaches early April.
We have beautiful Provincial parks and lakes, some great trails- still being developed- the Coldstream to Kelowna rail trail will be quite incredible when finished.
For a small place there are great facilities- we have the Vernon Performing Arts centre which is a wonderful facility-something that good would only be found in a good size city in the UK. A new larger art gallery is being developed. There is also a small but beautiful theatre-The Powerhouse.
In Enderby- a bit of a drive-there is an old fashioned drive in movie theatre- popular with kids.
Above Coldstream is a newly built sports arena which again is amazing for a place this size, plus the main hockey rink is being twinned. Lumby close by- won the Kraft Hockeyville tournament- yeh! I voted a gazillion times!
Shops- Ok- Kelowna much better and Vancouver close by- well 5 hours or a plane ride!
Grocery shopping is decent though.

Vernon is in desperate need of GPs- there are sometimes GPs retiring with no-one to take over and anyway there are probably several thousand with no GP. Admittedly some of those you would not want but I would say there would plenty of decent folk to take on and such is the nature of the area that more arrive all the time. Your OH could have a great practice here and make a very good living.
We have opportunities professionally here which would never have been attainable in the UK.
I don't know why we are so short but I suspect that no-one is actively trying to recruit- I spoke to someone who is actively recruiting in Maple Ridge- he had got 13 or 15 GPs ( can't remember which) in 3 years. I also suspect Interior Health's stubbornness re privileges for a provisional licence has something to do with it!

How many people locally are prepared to be a supervisor- I don't know- but I would suspect not many- he would need one though until he has his full licence. Interior Health would sponsor him and there would almost certainly demand hospital privileges- I feel as do others that they are very stubborn and short sighted re this! Once he has his full licence ,he can do what he wants. The hospital has hospitalists now, so long term, losing privileges is an option.

Settling in takes time, I would think most jobs are the same, but we are perhaps in a bit of a different position in that your patients ( who feel their lives are in your hands) expect you to know what you are doing! Initially we didn't know how to even order an X-ray. Within the first week, simple stuff like that are easy but it was a year or two before I was completely up to speed and even now there may be something that I haven't come across before but the UK would be the same.
Length of time as a GP probably doesn't matter- in fact he may be more flexible and less set in his ways , so may find it easier.

Computer software was quite primitive compared to the UK when moved which added to our problems. Now it's better- at least the one we use is. it means that most forms are on there to be filled in, instead of asking and looking for one- makes life of a newbie much easier.

We can't take anyone on as we are completely full Dr wise, but as Stinky says , we would happily help out in what ever way we could before and after your move- even if just over the phone. If you come over to have a look around, let us know , we would happily show you around.

Feel free to fire more questions!
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:37 am
Just Joined

dorabug is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless your husband has passed LMCC he will start work as a provisionally registered GP which means he will have to have a mentor/supervisor. How involved they are will vary but that was one criteria for me in choosing a practice. I wanted to be somewhere with a teaching type ethos.
He will then have more support than a lone locum wandering round NHS practices.
I'm now 4 weeks from starting and I'm terrified but others have done in and survived. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
How exciting and scary in equal measure! Have you moved over yet or is the move and start of work in 4 weeks?

How did you find the teaching type ethos? through BC health match or just through visiting and sussing it yourself?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:00 am
Just Joined

dorabug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdawg

Vernon is in desperate need of GPs- there are sometimes GPs retiring with no-one to take over and anyway there are probably several thousand with no GP. Admittedly some of those you would not want but I would say there would plenty of decent folk to take on and such is the nature of the area that more arrive all the time. Your OH could have a great practice here and make a very good living.
We have opportunities professionally here which would never have been attainable in the UK.
I don't know why we are so short but I suspect that no-one is actively trying to recruit- I spoke to someone who is actively recruiting in Maple Ridge- he had got 13 or 15 GPs ( can't remember which) in 3 years. I also suspect Interior Health's stubbornness re privileges for a provisional licence has something to do with it!

How many people locally are prepared to be a supervisor- I don't know- but I would suspect not many- he would need one though until he has his full licence. Interior Health would sponsor him and there would almost certainly demand hospital privileges- I feel as do others that they are very stubborn and short sighted re this! Once he has his full licence ,he can do what he wants. The hospital has hospitalists now, so long term, losing privileges is an option.

Settling in takes time, I would think most jobs are the same, but we are perhaps in a bit of a different position in that your patients ( who feel their lives are in your hands) expect you to know what you are doing! Initially we didn't know how to even order an X-ray. Within the first week, simple stuff like that are easy but it was a year or two before I was completely up to speed and even now there may be something that I haven't come across before but the UK would be the same.
Length of time as a GP probably doesn't matter- in fact he may be more flexible and less set in his ways , so may find it easier.
Thanks so much for the detailed response, immensely helpful! Lifestyle stuff sounds fantastic, I just need to investigate nursery and elementary school for the munchkins. It sounds like the UBC campus in Kelowna a doable commute from Vernon (that's for me)?

I think you have mentioned in a previous post that there are more jobs around than advertised on BC health match, where does one find those i.e. the Maple Ridge practice you mention? We saw a job advertised in Victoria which specifically stated that they support IMGs (Vic is not our first choice) I am guessing that is more the exception that the rule from your comment on supervision?

Hospital privileges sound like a nightmare for folks! what do they entail and are we right in assuming that they more prevalent in rural/smaller areas?

You mention you've had more professional opportunities, can I ask the sort of range of stuff that is available or that you have done? when we talked to BC health match they gave the impression that IMGs can't access the same sort of development opportunities that homegrown Drs, but hopefully that isn't accurate.

We might do a recce in the next few months (aiming to move for summer 2017 to settle in for our oldest to start grade one that Sept) and it would fantastic if we could meet for a coffee if you had the time or a chat on the phone.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 2:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorabug
Thanks so much for the detailed response, immensely helpful! Lifestyle stuff sounds fantastic, I just need to investigate nursery and elementary school for the munchkins. It sounds like the UBC campus in Kelowna a doable commute from Vernon (that's for me)?

I think you have mentioned in a previous post that there are more jobs around than advertised on BC health match, where does one find those i.e. the Maple Ridge practice you mention? We saw a job advertised in Victoria which specifically stated that they support IMGs (Vic is not our first choice) I am guessing that is more the exception that the rule from your comment on supervision?

Hospital privileges sound like a nightmare for folks! what do they entail and are we right in assuming that they more prevalent in rural/smaller areas?

You mention you've had more professional opportunities, can I ask the sort of range of stuff that is available or that you have done? when we talked to BC health match they gave the impression that IMGs can't access the same sort of development opportunities that homegrown Drs, but hopefully that isn't accurate.

We might do a recce in the next few months (aiming to move for summer 2017 to settle in for our oldest to start grade one that Sept) and it would fantastic if we could meet for a coffee if you had the time or a chat on the phone.
Skip BC and come to Quebec. I could seriously do with access to a GP and I've got next to no chance of getting one.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

They won't let us into Quebec unless we are able to practice in French as well as English. Sorry souvy

I sussed out my lot myself. When you do get to meet with practices they can easily all blend into one but if you are prepared and have a list of questions and take a lot of notes that helps a lot.
I've just looked at hmbc and there are still loads of jobs. Look at Fraser valley if you're interested in maple ridge etc or interior if it's okanagan. Any that say provisionally registered is ok are an option for your husband.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

They won't let us into Quebec unless we are able to practice in French as well as English. Sorry souvy

I sussed out my lot myself. When you do get to meet with practices they can easily all blend into one but if you are prepared and have a list of questions and take a lot of notes that helps a lot.
I've just looked at hmbc and there are still loads of jobs. Look at Fraser valley if you're interested in maple ridge etc or interior if it's okanagan. Any that say provisionally registered is ok are an option for your husband.
I don't think my sebaceous cyst cares much about language. I could do with getting of it though. That's not going to happen here any time soon. It puts me about as far up the priority list as a hurty knee.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to move to bc then souvy. I can't help you otherwise.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorabug

Yes UBCO is commutable- a lot do it- students and staff. there will be a few days each year when the road will be hell- snow/ice but most of the year its a great drive with the new road. UBCO is close to the airport so easier for us than most of Kelowna given the awful traffic there!!!
Most doctors seem to live either in BX or Coldstream.
Bx is good for distant lake views but it just 15 minutes to the ski slopes. Nice area but further from the highway for you. If private Christian school appeal- they are north end of vernon so BX is good for that.
Coldstream is closer to lakes- specifically Kalamalka, easier for the highway.
Schools- 2 elementaries- Coldstream and Kidston- Coldstream is newer and probably better- I don't like the principal at Kidston but she may move on. There is a Montessori near Coldstream if that appeals- I know they do nursery care but there are others.

The guy who is trying to recruit to Maple Ridge is a realtor! He is somehow allied to the local Division of General Practice so he is recruiting for the area not one office.
If I were looking now, I would ask Healthmatch to send out my resume to all the towns/cities that interested me to whomever is recruiting. I would also contact each Division of General Practice and ask them to send out an email with my details/resume attached
https://www.divisionsbc.ca/provincial/home

Yes to smaller/more rural. They are a nightmare but some love it! You are basically looking after seriously ill patients who are just not ill enough for ICU/CCU! Nearly everyone is in a call group though. But during the week you have to go before starting work and see your own plus those of holidaying colleagues if needed.

Here's where I have changed my thinking from the UK!! I should have been more clear. In the UK, you have an ever dwindling NHS pension to look forward to. Here you have to make your own. Nearly all doctors are incorporated, and a lot have holding companies. The money that is not drawn as a personal wage needs to made to work for your future. You might want to invest some in the stock market, buy investment property, invest in another company, even set up a separate business. I see this now as part of my job. Given the falling income in the UK, I know this would have been impossible there now, here it's expected I would say.
Re the rest of your paragraph- once you are fully licensed , you are treated no different to anyone else.

Yes, absolutely. Just let us know when you are around!
Sorry for the bold!! It was the only way to make mine stand out!
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:04 pm
Slob

You will have to move to bc then souvy. I can't help you otherwise.
You could send me some instructions.

I've already got sharp blades, a mirror, peroxide and a stock of Tylenol 3.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:16 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Snoop misinterpreted the word development. I might be wrong but I think you meant CPD. His opportunities would be the same as anyone already there. He has a good opportunity to go on courses etc, just won't get paid on the days that he is away. Same goes for holidays. It just needs a different mindset to the British one, you still need your time off to work or go on courses to stay happy. There are courses organised locally as well as in the cities, Vancouver, Calgary are the main destinations for us when we go to conferences.

Snoop seems determined to put the fear of God into you wrt hospital privileges and I don't think that is 100% fair. Your hubby will have been in training in hospital posts a lot more recently than us. You do now get good support from the Internist/ Surgeons etc in Vernon for example. When we came, support was terrible some of the specialists were bone idle- it is way better now and you are a lot better supported. Similar in Kelowna I believe. Once he gets full registration he could ditch priveliges like we did. Don't let this issue put you off looking at the Interior. It depends what you are into but it is a fantastic place to live and has most things available.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 5th 2016 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:22 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Souvy
I don't think my sebaceous cyst cares much about language. I could do with getting of it though. That's not going to happen here any time soon. It puts me about as far up the priority list as a hurty knee.
Sadly your suspicions are correct, sebaceous cysts come two places above hurty knees in the Medical Top Trumps, which incidentally are both below itchy bottoms and so I wouldn't hold your breath
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I think that Snoop misinterpreted the word development. I might be wrong but I think you meant CPD. His opportunities would be the same as anyone already there. He has a good opportunity to go on courses etc, just won't get paid on the days that he is away. Same goes for holidays. It just needs a different mindset to the British one, you still need your time off to work or go on courses to stay happy. There are courses organised locally as well as in the cities, Vancouver, Calgary are the main destinations for us when we go to conferences.

Snoop seems determined to put the fear of God into you wrt hospital privileges and I don't think that is 100% fair. Your hubby will have been in training in hospital posts a lot more recently to us. You do now get good support from the Internist/ Surgeons etc in Vernon for example. When we came, support was terrible some of the specialists were bone idle- it is way better now and you are a lot better supported. Similar in Kelowna I believe. Once he gets full registration he could ditch priveliges like we did. Don't let this issue put you off looking at the Interior. It depends what you are into but it is a fantastic place to live and has most things available.
No I just didn't make myself clear in original post!!!

Agree re hospital- if I can do it years after setting foot in one-then a young pup can do it. Think of it as short term pain, plus you may enjoy it- some do. I've no idea why, but they do! Money can be good too if that's an issue.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:24 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Souvy
You could send me some instructions.

I've already got sharp blades, a mirror, peroxide and a stock of Tylenol 3.
I weirdly absolutely love removing sebaceous cysts- if you were ever holidaying in BC I would absolutely remove it for you
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:49 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I weirdly absolutely love removing sebaceous cysts- if you were ever holidaying in BC I would absolutely remove it for you
You are most certainly weird if you enjoy that kind of thing! Those buggers are messy, as I discovered a few months ago. The lump is gone but the cyst is still there and it leaks. I don't like the smell. I doubt that other people do either.

It's almost worth the plane ticket. I've toyed with the idea of finding a doctor in New York State (not all that far from me).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.