Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old May 12th 2016, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by hanhugz
Great, thankyou so much for all of your advice

One more quick question-did any of you use a representative/lawyer to help with your permanent residency application? I feel like we have gathered all of the documents that we need to submit asap when we get there (IELTS this weekend will be the final thing), other half not a GP and will be working for himself still (internet business). I have studied that PR document checklist!!

I can't believe the end is in sight....what a mammoth process!!!
Nope no lawyer but we did have help from Healthmatch BC who double check all forms. Not much use to you though!
The gist was to fill in everything, if not applicable, put N/ A just in case.
Good luck!
Old May 12th 2016, 3:30 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi all - very useful info from what I have read so far- I am a 46yr old GP looking at maybe heading west in the next 2 years with my son, new wife and her 16yr old son.

Looking at BC and possible around Kelowna.

Im aware to apply to healthmatch BC and physicians apply to get the ball rolling but wondered how much info do they need - I see people talking of letters from trusts - will I need a letter from everywhere I have worked to confirm experience?

I dont have A&E or psychiatry either but did work for 7 years in a rural practice with cover of minor injuries, would this hold any weight? Also will they take into account the psych component of working as a GP?

I also have a 6 month work gap around 12 years ago due to ill health will this count against me?

Cheers everyone
Just picking up on the 16yr old son, you need to apply before he hits 18. Is believe the age is locked in at application, but 18 is considered an adult and he wouldn't be able to piggy back on your application if he was already 18 and would have to find his own route to PR- no mean feat at that age.
Old May 12th 2016, 3:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hanhugz
Great, thankyou so much for all of your advice

One more quick question-did any of you use a representative/lawyer to help with your permanent residency application? I feel like we have gathered all of the documents that we need to submit asap when we get there (IELTS this weekend will be the final thing), other half not a GP and will be working for himself still (internet business). I have studied that PR document checklist!!

I can't believe the end is in sight....what a mammoth process!!!
If you can get through the process of medical registration in Canada you can handle a PR application. We didn't use a lawyer and it's all pretty straight forward!
Old May 12th 2016, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Just picking up on the 16yr old son, you need to apply before he hits 18. Is believe the age is locked in at application, but 18 is considered an adult and he wouldn't be able to piggy back on your application if he was already 18 and would have to find his own route to PR- no mean feat at that age.
Hi. I had been told it was 19?? I have a 22yr old who is struggling as is a ski instructor so not enough points at this stage. The immigration website states 19 as cut off here

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

Judging by whats been said I think a 2 year plan may be ambitious!!
Old May 12th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely 19 for BC
Don't know about other provinces.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:31 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Hi. I had been told it was 19?? I have a 22yr old who is struggling as is a ski instructor so not enough points at this stage. The immigration website states 19 as cut off here

Apologies if I'm wrong...and I might be

We dawdled through the process and still got here within two years. It's a long process though but with Express Entry it does mean you can arrive as PR's- we came over on a TWP and submitted an application for PR while we were here..
Old May 12th 2016, 7:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE! Glad you found us!

Yes, for sponsorship as a family member it's 19 at present - it's Federal, not Provincial.

Your 22 year old as a ski instructor - their NOC would be classed "B" - NOC # 5254 - so there is hope!

Unit Group

If they wanted to come to Canada and work (I don't know what the situation is) then they could apply for an IEC working holiday work permit - valid for 2 years.

Old May 12th 2016, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE! Glad you found us!

Yes, for sponsorship as a family member it's 19 at present - it's Federal, not Provincial.

Your 22 year old as a ski instructor - their NOC would be classed "B" - NOC # 5254 - so there is hope!

Unit Group

If they wanted to come to Canada and work (I don't know what the situation is) then they could apply for an IEC working holiday work permit - valid for 2 years.

Thanks... he has already done that so needs enough points to get express entry. Looks like he needs a job with a LMIA and the only ones seem to be as a nanny!!
Old May 13th 2016, 12:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks... he has already done that so needs enough points to get express entry. Looks like he needs a job with a LMIA and the only ones seem to be as a nanny!!
Ah! Don't suppose he managed to get 12 months of work experience in Canada so he could apply under CEC?

Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class
Old May 14th 2016, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Ah! Don't suppose he managed to get 12 months of work experience in Canada so he could apply under CEC?

Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class
He has done that - he has 2 seasons as a ski instructor so has the 12 months required - but has around 390 points so unlikely to get an invite.

He is looking at a study visa now as could also work whilst studying. Will be more expensive though but if I can get to Canada he could always live with me to keep costs down I guess!
Old May 16th 2016, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all having an issue with the GMC - I need to confirm my training posts and was led to understand the JCPTGP had this on file and then passed to the GMC. I have applied under Article 50 to confirm training and been given an email asking for loads of info from my training posts which to be honest will cover what I need wothout access to GMC information.

I finished GP training in 1997 so may well struggle to get this! Anyone have any guidance as to how they had their SHO posts verified for the Canadian licensing people. Thanks. Rich
Old May 17th 2016, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all having an issue with the GMC - I need to confirm my training posts and was led to understand the JCPTGP had this on file and then passed to the GMC. I have applied under Article 50 to confirm training and been given an email asking for loads of info from my training posts which to be honest will cover what I need wothout access to GMC information.

I finished GP training in 1997 so may well struggle to get this! Anyone have any guidance as to how they had their SHO posts verified for the Canadian licensing people. Thanks. Rich
We had JCPTGP certificates but the PMETB were still around when we moved and gave us nice certificates BUT still we needed to go to every hospital we worked at get some confirmation
I became a GP about 1991!- I still managed to get something from everywhere I worked. I approached consultants themselves if still alive/not retired Otherwise medical staffing/ payroll. I somehow managed all of them- it was very hard work- at times I thought I would never manage it. One I only managed as a secretary remembered me and could even remember when I worked- years of trying to be nice to everyone worked!!! She even sent me a nice letter- asking how I was etc.
Stinky was easier because he is doubly qualified and his medical training started later. He also did a formal GP rotation- I didn't- and got his MRCGP- I was too busy supporting him, working and having kids!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

dorabug is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely delighted to find this thread! These are questions for snoopdawg and stinkypup specifically, and others more generally. My husband is the GP, I am non-medical and Canadian, but I have been in the UK for 18 years. My husband is English and just received his Confirmation of Permanent Residency (guidance on this forum has been so helpful). We are looking to move to BC and one area we are considering is Vernon, so we are so hoping to be able to get some insights from you.

We’d love to know how the adjustment went for you – apologies if some of this has been covered elsewhere, I have read through a lot but not all!

I think you were much more experienced GPs when you moved over, my husband is just recently qualified (medicine is a second career) so has some nervousness about being thrown into the deep end with no support/mentoring/guidance on the differences. Do clinics taking on IMG’s tend to have a mechanism for support/mentoring? Also curious about how CPD works, can IMG’s do additional training and diplomas? Finally how is it practicing in Vernon – upsides? downsides? better standard of living/quality of life?- loads of questions I know!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your husband has passed LMCC he will start work as a provisionally registered GP which means he will have to have a mentor/supervisor. How involved they are will vary but that was one criteria for me in choosing a practice. I wanted to be somewhere with a teaching type ethos.
He will then have more support than a lone locum wandering round NHS practices.
I'm now 4 weeks from starting and I'm terrified but others have done in and survived. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:57 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorabug
Absolutely delighted to find this thread! These are questions for snoopdawg and stinkypup specifically, and others more generally. My husband is the GP, I am non-medical and Canadian, but I have been in the UK for 18 years. My husband is English and just received his Confirmation of Permanent Residency (guidance on this forum has been so helpful). We are looking to move to BC and one area we are considering is Vernon, so we are so hoping to be able to get some insights from you.

We’d love to know how the adjustment went for you – apologies if some of this has been covered elsewhere, I have read through a lot but not all!

I think you were much more experienced GPs when you moved over, my husband is just recently qualified (medicine is a second career) so has some nervousness about being thrown into the deep end with no support/mentoring/guidance on the differences. Do clinics taking on IMG’s tend to have a mechanism for support/mentoring? Also curious about how CPD works, can IMG’s do additional training and diplomas? Finally how is it practicing in Vernon – upsides? downsides? better standard of living/quality of life?- loads of questions I know!
Hi dorabug
Snoop will no doubt be on at some stage, she is very thorough in her responses so I will leave it to her to reply fully. I'm out gardening and it is hot and I nipped in for a lolly Adaptation wasn't too bad, he won't be dumped in the deep end. If you choose to move locally we can guide you if you need help. He will get mentored until the relevant exams done MCEE, MCQE etc and then use his MRCGP for CCFP when he can ditch the mentor.
Re lifestyle changes, where are you moving from? The area is a mix of town/ rural, population of around 50k, great leisure stuff, hiking, biking, lakes, ski hills. Airport half an hour away with flights to Vancouver/Calgary/ Toronto/.and beyond. Always a need for GPs - just need to choose carefully where you go. Kelowna is another option. I personally have no regrets , pups love it and Snoop also seems very content
Await her response

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 4th 2016 at 10:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.