Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Apr 29th 2016, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

hanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hello

This is such a great forum
I am currently working as a GP in the U.K. but am moving to a job in Toronto at the end of May (18 months after starting the process!)
I am coming over on a TWP.
The above info on P.R. application is really useful-i'm trying to get my letters sorted before i go (i haven't applied or used any agencies so far so i'm not sure what the CIC need to have included in those letters or whether a simple letter stating my rotations from H.R. is enough.
I only completed my GP training in 2014 so, hopefully, not too much paperwork!

Thankyou so much in advance
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi Hanhugz
welcome to the forum. nice to hear ur moving to toronto. I managed to get letter from Hr by mentioning my rotation and salary and but were not able to provide job description which i plan to elaborate when i apply to immigration but luckly the role are senior house officer or foundation house officer like thing which shouldnt be difficult to explain as they interlap. As long as ur Gp job is well covered where my deanery put a link at the bottom of the letter to the cirriculum with rotation at top, so i hope that will be sufficent. I am wanting to enquire more if u dont mind PM ur detials or i contact u about job hunting !! cheers.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hanhugz
Hello

I am currently working as a GP in the U.K. but am moving to a job in Toronto at the end of May (18 months after starting the process!)
The above info on P.R. application is really useful-i'm trying to get my letters sorted before i go (i haven't applied or used any agencies so far so i'm not sure what the CIC need to have included in those letters or whether a simple letter stating my rotations from H.R. is enough.

Hello and welcome to BE!

Congrats on the job - exciting times indeed.. and you will be in Toronto just in time for the next BE meet-up too, the perfect time to connect with some Brits (and the odd non-Brit) and pick their brains!

If you have any questions about the PR process, please feel free to post a thread in our Immi forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...hip-canada-33/

Old Apr 30th 2016, 3:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not wanting to cause offence to Dr O but I'm not sure that the advice given is wholly accurate and they admit themselves that they are hoping that what documentation they present re their jobs is sufficient. I hope that it is but I wouldn't count on it. Those who have been through the experience, have been there and done that so might well be able to offer direct advice, currently working in general practice in Canada. Maybe voice your queries openly to get help rather than resort to PMs

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 30th 2016 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

welcome to the forum.

You will enjoy the Toronto.

re letter of work for PR: I submitted only letters related to my GP work i.e. 3 years of GP training and any GP job/work done post CCT.

Ensure the following informations are included in the letter:
1. hours you worked. 2. your salaries/earnings. 3. dates you worked. 4. your duties (look at Noc code for FP/GP and try to cover as much point as you can from that list in NOC code in the letter) i.e providing primary care service i.e history taking, examination etc points to be included.
I found it easier to draft a letter myself and ask them to modifies or changes as they wish. of course! hospital HR were not forth coming so i approach the speciality consultant for the letter if HR refuse to say for instance about my duties. also you job contract/payslip will be helpful so hold onto them.

oh! do your ILTES now so by end of May when you move to Toronto then you can apply for EE PR quickly.

best of luck!

Hassan
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

To stinkypup
No offence taken and I can only hope the letter I am colleting works as consultant and Hr are verbally refusing to add any details of job description rather just job title so I have little choice. Regarding the Pm I would like to meet or chat to someone in person if they agree and get their experience with the process as I plan to meet most of you that is if u want to meet me when I plan to visit Toronto in October.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
To stinkypup
No offence taken and I can only hope the letter I am colleting works as consultant and Hr are verbally refusing to add any details of job description rather just job title so I have little choice. Regarding the Pm I would like to meet or chat to someone in person if they agree and get their experience with the process as I plan to meet most of you that is if u want to meet me when I plan to visit Toronto in October.
hi dr Orankzai

if they refuse to do that, then email them and try to get their reply in writing so you can submit that with a letter of explanation. HR is definitely won't provide the detail of your job description as your contract should have that but consultant...mmm....dont understand why being obstructive..
Also don't worry! if only some refuse but most of other letters/references will contain the details.

ok! sure you can meet if I am still in Toronto in Oct. so just msg closer to time but not sure if you can meet all as for instance! stinkypup is in BC!

Last edited by Hasan78; Apr 30th 2016 at 4:46 pm. Reason: completion!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

oh!
I just wanted to know if any body working as FP/GP in NS specifically in Halifax in NS?
is there an equivalent of HFO in NS too...

Thanks.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

thanks hasan78 for understanding the situation and will try to get to them again. will msg u when near october. Are u planning to leave ontario ??
Old May 5th 2016, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - very useful info from what I have read so far- I am a 46yr old GP looking at maybe heading west in the next 2 years with my son, new wife and her 16yr old son.

Looking at BC and possible around Kelowna.

Im aware to apply to healthmatch BC and physicians apply to get the ball rolling but wondered how much info do they need - I see people talking of letters from trusts - will I need a letter from everywhere I have worked to confirm experience?

I dont have A&E or psychiatry either but did work for 7 years in a rural practice with cover of minor injuries, would this hold any weight? Also will they take into account the psych component of working as a GP?

I also have a 6 month work gap around 12 years ago due to ill health will this count against me?

Cheers everyone
Old May 5th 2016, 7:51 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi all - very useful info from what I have read so far- I am a 46yr old GP looking at maybe heading west in the next 2 years with my son, new wife and her 16yr old son.

Looking at BC and possible around Kelowna.

Im aware to apply to healthmatch BC and physicians apply to get the ball rolling but wondered how much info do they need - I see people talking of letters from trusts - will I need a letter from everywhere I have worked to confirm experience?

I dont have A&E or psychiatry either but did work for 7 years in a rural practice with cover of minor injuries, would this hold any weight? Also will they take into account the psych component of working as a GP?

I also have a 6 month work gap around 12 years ago due to ill health will this count against me?

Cheers everyone
Hi RichB
Have a look through Snoopdawg's and my posts, I vaguely know her (other half!) She detailed our route very well and clearly.
I never did A&E nor psychiatry nor post grad paeds and there are ways and means-psych shouldn't be a problem as I hadn't done it and as you say a lot of GP is psych! The other two need some research but we managed it. I had done orthopediacs and ENT as SHO which helped with a supporting letter from my ortho consultant WRT A&E. Minor Injuries experience will I'm sure help.
I doubt that on the clinical side a health break would be a problem although obviously you will need a medical before getting here and that may be more relevant theredepending on the problem (it may well not though)

Have a look at our posts with regards to the evidence that we needed to provide- more recent graduates seem to be doing things differently- training has changed over the years and more recent comments have come from recent graduates which may be less relevant to you.

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 5th 2016 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Hi RichB
Have a look through Snoopdawg's and my posts, I vaguely know her (other half!) She detailed our route very well and clearly.
I never did A&E nor psychiatry nor post grad paeds and there are ways and means-psych shouldn't be a problem as I hadn't done it and as you say a lot of GP is psych! The other two need some research but we managed it. I had done orthopediacs and ENT as SHO which helped with a supporting letter from my ortho consultant WRT A&E. Minor Injuries experience will I'm sure help.
I doubt that on the clinical side a health break would be a problem although obviously you will need a medical before getting here and that may be more relevant theredepending on the problem (it may well not though)

Have a look at our posts with regards to the evidence that we needed to provide- more recent graduates seem to be doing things differently- training has changed over the years and more recent comments have come from recent graduates which may be less relevant to you.
Great - sounds a bit more promising - I have added an account to health match BC to set things going.

Will I need a copy of my degree certificate??? as it seems to have wandered deep into my filing system somewhere!!
Old May 6th 2016, 7:29 am
I need a walk

Wink re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Great - sounds a bit more promising - I have added an account to health match BC to set things going.

Will I need a copy of my degree certificate??? as it seems to have wandered deep into my filing system somewhere!!
Quick reply before bed- yes, you will need your certs and stuff so start digging! Okanagan is a great place to work, Kelowna has had several threads. It is a complex process with loads of red tape and but we can guide you where we can. It definitely is worth it to sadly escape the NHS demise
There are more jobs available than Healthmatch will admit to. They may point you to less desirable jobs- have a look at the jobs, areas and really think about coming over for a visit. Read through this thread as well as other threads on potential areas that you might consider, if BC, then Okanagan, coast, Vancouver Island- read up and ask if needs be .. Night night Zzzz

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 6th 2016 at 7:34 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

hanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond reputehanhugz has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thankyou so much for all of your advice

One more quick question-did any of you use a representative/lawyer to help with your permanent residency application? I feel like we have gathered all of the documents that we need to submit asap when we get there (IELTS this weekend will be the final thing), other half not a GP and will be working for himself still (internet business). I have studied that PR document checklist!!

I can't believe the end is in sight....what a mammoth process!!!
Old May 11th 2016, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thankyou so much for all of your advice

One more quick question-did any of you use a representative/lawyer to help with your permanent residency application? I feel like we have gathered all of the documents that we need to submit asap when we get there (IELTS this weekend will be the final thing), other half not a GP and will be working for himself still (internet business). I have studied that PR document checklist!!

I can't believe the end is in sight....what a mammoth process!!!
good luck! you ll enjoy it.

No! you don't need to use any lawyer or rep unless you have a very complicated situation or background...so long as you provide all the documents and filling the forms correctly you will be fine. you can start creating the EE profile now.

Best of luck on your new adventure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.