Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I absolutely get your position TT, often there are RN spouses with GPs, obviously the circles that we mixed during our 'frisky' days! It must be incredibly frustrating for RNs trying to get registered here despite their experience gained in the UK. Unfortunately in the unionised nursing Canada world, it isn't how good you are that gets the job, it is how long you have worked. Merit and ability are rarely considered. As I said, we, the "BC Dogs" -(that amuses me btw) are obviously in the fortunate position of both working as GPs. In the UK, Snoopdawg was our slave! Part time salaried getting paid genuinely very little for her labours. I don't know what your hours were but you may not have been correct in your presumption....
Nah I was only 10 hrs and extra hrs as I wanted...

I think my point wasn't to get into an argument about whether doctors are better in Canada- I think they are but it annoys me people diss the NHS as a whole without having any real idea about other countries e.g Dr Ozarnaki or whatever his name is assertions... I think you're right btw... he is trolling the thread...
Old Apr 7th 2015, 1:05 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Gowest
I can also only comment on my own experiences. Vastly increased out of control work load. 40% more paperwork and 30% more patient contact than 5 years ago but in real terms a 15% pay cut. And the pension that takes 24% of my after tax earnings and won't pay out until I'm 68 at which time it will be taxed again. And there's no way I could survive this job until then which is of course the point.
I've looked at the figures and income in BC will be about equal. I'm not moving for money.
And patient care in nhs. Patient wants maybe if you're articulate and middle class but not the needs of the vulnerable or mentally ill or old. This past year survival rates of the elderly in UK fell for the first time ever.
And in 5 years if the nhs hasn't been privatised I will be astounded.
They can't recruit to general practice in UK and the average age female GPs retire permanently is 38. The over 50s are leaving in their droves before the pension is raided further. Leaving the rest of us to carry more and more
And as a self employed partner I only get leave if I can get locum cover and that is getting harder and harder
If canada doesn't work for me work wise the best thing will be that I will have escaped UK general practice and they won't let me in again without working for a year for nothing and sitting exams.
Just my opinion from this side of the pond. It's got immeasurably worse even in the last 2 years and the direction of travel is clear which ever government gets in this May

I think that you have hit the nail on the head- I feel that you would thrive in BC- weird stat re female GPs retiring at 38 though. We are glad that we got out when we did and I would 100% agree with the privatisation comment, that has been on the cards for a long time. Too many high up people involved in decision making with way too many conflicts of interest.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Nah I was only 10 hrs and extra hrs as I wanted...

I think my point wasn't to get into an argument about whether doctors are better in Canada- I think they are but it annoys me people diss the NHS as a whole without having any real idea about other countries e.g Dr Ozarnaki or whatever his name is assertions... I think you're right btw... he is trolling the thread...
for those who think i am trolling or what ever that is. I have no intention of upsetting people but i have the right to express views and that after reading on this very forums on this website from people who have experienced over 10years & are still struggling to cope with the move. I am not expecting that this will change my decision not to check canada out.
sorry i am putting the link which i assume most of u have already seen.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canni...n-ever-855791/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canni...r-year-818032/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canni...ack-uk-847870/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...ack-uk-854420/
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

Trip trap trip trap

Not much of a doctor if you think one person's experience automatically would be the same as another's

The plural of anecdote is not data

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai
for those who think i am trolling or what ever that is. I have no intention of upsetting people but i have the right to express views and that after reading on this very forums on this website from people who have experienced over 10years & are still struggling to cope with the move. I am not expecting that this will change my decision not to check canada out.

Old Apr 7th 2015, 12:43 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai

Jeepers you're not upsetting people- healthy debate that's all ..I've been chatting with the pups for a while now so don't kid yourself that your stirring things up

But to introduce antagonistic comments and then not return to the thread to back them up...what would you call that?

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 7th 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

savvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, new to this site and threads (first post ). Currently working as a GP in London and whilst I absolutely love the NHS and what it stands for, it is currently being exploited heavily for the wrong reasons by both patients and politicians and unfortunately GP's are suffering, as are ill patients who genuinely need the service.
I would like to consider moving to Canada...thinking Alberta, Calgary. Does anyone have any experience there. From what I can work out, its a fee-per service, income may be similar but quality of life is much better, nicer patients etc...But would really like to hear someones views
Old Apr 10th 2015, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Hello savvy,

Welcome, I expect you'll get replies from the other drs here soon. It's a long process and the bureaucracy is all experienced differently by all the doctors who've made the move, as you'll find by reading posts on this forum.
There are many posts on here you can search through. Also as you have specifically mentioned Alberta, a UK GP who moved to Alberta has a forum he runs giving the kind of info it seems you're looking for- the process and experience of moving to work in Canada as a GP etc.
In addition to the posts on here, you may want to google 'GP in Canada' and you'll find the forum- I think he gets you to join/subscribe or so.
I hope it's ok to signpost you to the site on here...

For us it's been a good move so far, but I think patients are the same everywhere though- my psychiatric patients and my husbands family practice patients seem grateful to have a dr, but once you have a good rapport with them . It's all the same 'demands' etc- which is fine! But I can relate do the view that the do seem 'nicer' in some way.
Good luck
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking at Alberta I foind Alberta health services website very informative

Alberta dont need mrcgp but do need the mccee exam. Physician apply is the portal for the medical council of Canada for all matters exam and registration. It's not cheap but there are a few people who have done it here or via doctorsnet or the gpincanada website. And they all seem happy

Originally Posted by segs
Hello savvy,

Welcome, I expect you'll get replies from the other drs here soon. It's a long process and the bureaucracy is all experienced differently by all the doctors who've made the move, as you'll find by reading posts on this forum.
There are many posts on here you can search through. Also as you have specifically mentioned Alberta, a UK GP who moved to Alberta has a forum he runs giving the kind of info it seems you're looking for- the process and experience of moving to work in Canada as a GP etc.
In addition to the posts on here, you may want to google 'GP in Canada' and you'll find the forum- I think he gets you to join/subscribe or so.

For us it's been a good move so far, but I think patients are the same everywhere though- my psychiatric patients and my husbands family practice patients seem grateful to have a dr, but once you have a good rapport with them . It's all the same 'demands' etc- which is fine! But I can relate do the view that the do seem 'nicer' in some way.
Good luck
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

savvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Segs,
Thanks for your reply...Will check out "GP in Canada"
Old Apr 11th 2015, 1:58 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Wink re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by segs
Hello savvy,

Good luck
I would just say that the GP who writes this blog/ oversees the forum loves getting his hands dirty in ER ... He is clearly experienced but ER duties are most certainly if you are looking at non Rural posts not required and neither are obstetric duties... I think that his forum is ok but has a definite ER slant which I am sure would dissuade a lot of Drs from making the move and it shouldn't - you can be a normal GP doing similar duties to the UK but in more pleasant surroundings and usually less stress! And get suitably rewarded. It is worth the effort.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

skilovernat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Here in BC, there are of course big frustrations, IT is very behind but is catching up to some degree- it has in part been more orientated towards billing but that is changing. Ontario may be getting cuts but they are actually starting from a higher staring point . Finances are finite as they are in the UK but I don't believe that the squeeze on pay is similar here. We are a fortunate position that we both work as GPs, we work hard, we ensure that we get adequate holidays to enjoy life. You have to get over the loss of income when not working mentality - you typically earn more in the time that you work and therefore enjoy your time off. NHS pensions in the UK were excellent, now not so much. You just have to plan things here. Nothing is ever ideal.
Do I regret moving here- absolutely not, we have a good balance in work and funtime, the kids love it. We miss the folks back home but visit once a year and they come here. We have just returned from a trip and still love M&S food, Quavers, proper Dairy Milk etc but came home happy but tired!!
Would I recommend it to others considering the move? Absolutely! Speaking to colleagues still there, they are indeed considering their options, emigrating, leaving the profession or just counting the days/ years until they retire. This is really sad. You do indeed have only one life, it is a huge thing to do - there is huge bureaucracy and multiple hurdles to jump but as it stands now, we would do it again in an instant. I hope that helps those considering it.
How bad are the IT systems out there? Are there practices that are still paper based fully? Having only ever worked in the high tech NHS GP electronic land, I'm not sure how I'd cope hand writing notes...

Plus - oh boy... life without M&S... fingers crossed I'll have more time out there to cook!

Last edited by skilovernat; May 10th 2015 at 5:24 pm. Reason: forgot to add something
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dr Orakzai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi tweet6
can u clarify the exam situation in this process is it like bc where u get mccee excemption due to mrcgp but need to sit mccqe1 and 2 once u start working in Toronto with in 3 yrs.?
What english language requirement apply i mean ielts needed after mrcgp and cct for registration ?
From ur post i understand there are no rotation restriction need like bc?
thanks for ur reply.
It would help if other colleauge from ontario who would like to comment on this.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Kevill12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new to the forum and have read this thread with great interest. I'm a UK GP and I've just had the go ahead to start looking for jobs in Canada.

I've got my eye on the southern interior of BC and will be aiming to come out in a month or so and look at some practices. I'd be keen to get any advice on the area, things to look out for when looking at practices (particularly those that are unique to Canada), any potential pitfalls and also generally how to structure such a trip.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:41 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Kevill12
I'm new to the forum and have read this thread with great interest. I'm a UK GP and I've just had the go ahead to start looking for jobs in Canada.

I've got my eye on the southern interior of BC and will be aiming to come out in a month or so and look at some practices. I'd be keen to get any advice on the area, things to look out for when looking at practices (particularly those that are unique to Canada), any potential pitfalls and also generally how to structure such a trip.
Welcome! Any ideas about any towns that might appeal? Southern Interior is quite a large area with large variation in climate, things to do etc I am sure that we can help/guide you!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Kevill12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the Okanagan, I'm also going to have a look at some jobs in Nelson and Castlegar. I also will be having a look at Westerna Alberta around Calgary but we are pretty set on the Okanagan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.