Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Yes! I did apply with CFPC while awaiting source verification. it was processed once source verification completed but you have to share it with CFPC on the physicianapply - you will be told how...

no problem...If you don't mind...can you pm me your email address then I will email my colleague directly and ask him if he wants to then he can email you directly!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:20 am
Just Joined

dr.matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Does anybody know the best person/ numbers to contact at the RCGP and GMC to check about how far they might have gotten on with source verifying certificates?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:33 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dr.matt
Does anybody know the best person/ numbers to contact at the RCGP and GMC to check about how far they might have gotten on with source verifying certificates?
I thought with source verification you had a login and could actively check with that particular organisation as to how progress was being made.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

I can see that the documents have been sent off on physiciansapply, but it doesn't give any contact details for the organisations. Apparently they send it off, wait 60 days, then if no reply send it off again. Failing that I believe you can pay extra to have it looked into/ organise for signed delivery to the organisation in question. But it may also be useful to call the organisations to check they are not sitting on the request - I just don't know who is best to call.

Having said that, I just received an email out of the blue from an RCGP administrator today saying they had received the request and emailed it back (to Philadelphia in the US, who are apparently handling the request for the MCC).
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:42 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sorry, my husband did it all himself rather than using an agency, so I guess he knew all that stuff before. Like I said though, if you can the relevant source I'm sure you have your account and therefore can check progress online.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

cecilehenderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dr Matt, did you ever find out from the cpsa whether you needed to get documents from all your previous jobs proving postgraduate training for source verification before applying for a review of qualifications or whether the cct, mrcgp and medical degree documents were enough as it's not terribly clear on the website
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

hi dr.matt
there is no particular person. i did email GMC and they reply to your request.

Last edited by Hasan78; Feb 26th 2015 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cecilehenderson
Hi dr Matt, did you ever find out from the cpsa whether you needed to get documents from all your previous jobs proving postgraduate training for source verification before applying for a review of qualifications or whether the cct, mrcgp and medical degree documents were enough as it's not terribly clear on the website
Hi Cecile, from what I understand from Alberta Health Services after I emailed them, once you've passed the MCCEE then you can apply for the review of qualifications. That process takes 2 weeks. It may well be worth applying for membership of the CFPC before applying as it will add weight to your application (they ask about it in the application for review of qualifications), and I understand only takes a couple of weeks to come through as long as you have your CCT/ MRCGP/ Medical degree documents source verified already. The CPSA then do a review of your qualifications which they say takes about 2 weeks, and then at that point tell you what proofs you need to get for them in order to apply for provisional licensure, which as far as I understand would normally only include a document from the deanery where you trained outlining your training rotations other than your CCT/ MRCGP/ Medical degree documents. Applying for the review of qualifications is relatively cheap I believe - around $200? Application for a provisional license is much more expensive I think, around $1600 for annual renewal from what I have read!

I haven't actually gone ahead with much of the above process yet - I have passed the MCCEE, but we are not yet ready to make the leap, probably a year away. However, I have contacted my deanery and am in the process of getting my document for postgraduate training source verified, in anticipation.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:57 am
Just Joined

shellygb is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening all,
Do any ex-pat Physicians (Segs? Snoopdawg?)have any thoughts on what to do about their NHS pension?
I found out today that after April 2015 we'll be unable to transfer UK pension overseas.
Just interested in hearing all your opinions-it is probably too late make any changes now.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We have just done it, took ages for various reasons. I applied for a transfer value about June last year, due to vacation actually started to try to arrange the move late August but my bank switched us to Scotia Macleod as they be able to offer a better cheaper service.
We were also querying with the NHS the amount of one pension, we felt it had been worked out wrong
Finally we gave in and sent papers end October, mine "arrived too late"" only it hadn't!! I had proof they had received in time, so argued a bit and they relented.
OH's did arrive too late but guess what, they then realised they had worked it out wrong!!!!
New papers arrived, Scotia Macleod were amazing at filling in again, and back they went, pretty quick.
We finally got our money early January. it's safely invested now, with a good team, feel pretty confident we had done the right thing.The spouse only getting half on death really worried me.
But no way have you got the time to arrange now, NHS works on mañana time except for GPs
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:56 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Argh what implications does that have?

Presumably you can still draw it in the UK but can't transfer it to invest over here? We both have NHS pensions...
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are stuck with current and future rules as subsequent governments decide to change things, too uncertain for us.They seem to be determined to devalue GPs pensions whilst asking for ever higher contributions and longer working life, presumably to stem the hemorrhage!! Plus once here , in the event of death (!!) , money can be transferred to the survivor, in the UK, you just get a spouse pension, which I believe is half.I presume , but don't know, that you only get taxed in Canada, but it would also apply to the lump sum, which would be annoying.
Have you asked for a transfer value? Just wondering if you started the process before the deadline, would they let you complete?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I think you are stuck with current and future rules as subsequent governments decide to change things, too uncertain for us.They seem to be determined to devalue GPs pensions whilst asking for ever higher contributions and longer working life, presumably to stem the hemorrhage!! Plus once here , in the event of death (!!) , money can be transferred to the survivor, in the UK, you just get a spouse pension, which I believe is half.I presume , but don't know, that you only get taxed in Canada, but it would also apply to the lump sum, which would be annoying.
Have you asked for a transfer value? Just wondering if you started the process before the deadline, would they let you complete?
No... Hubble off this week so will mention it to him. Tbh we have been tackling one thing at a time... To stay or go? Exam, PR app, incorporation/exam etc etc... New baby in there somewhere 😉
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know, even without a baby the first year or two was chaotic at best, so much is different work wise, tax wise, general living wise. Took us 5 years to get round to moving our pensions, when we had the time!!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

oh!
can we still transfer our nhs pension? i thought the deadline for changes to become effective was 16 March. At least the letter i have says to decide by 16 March if i want to change from pre-1995 scheme or 2008 scheme or something along that line...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.