Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

You have to do it usually, depending on Province, it seems.Read post #4 to see how we did it for BC.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:51 am
Just Joined

makalino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Thank you for the quick reply!

How were you able to arrange the 'teaching?' here in the UK? I heard it would be quite hard to arrange training in Canada. Do you simply contact a teaching hospital in your area and ask to be trained for 8-weeks in paediatrics for example?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by makalino
Thank you for the quick reply!

How were you able to arrange the 'teaching?' here in the UK? I heard it would be quite hard to arrange training in Canada. Do you simply contact a teaching hospital in your area and ask to be trained for 8-weeks in paediatrics for example?
If you read this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...03&postcount=4 as suggested by snoopdog, it explains how they did it in the UK.

There is a lot of useful info on this thread that you may find helpful, if you can plough through it all.

Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you read this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...03&postcount=4 as suggested by snoopdog, it explains how they did it in the UK.

There is a lot of useful info on this thread that you may find helpful, if you can plough through it all.

I did read the post, thanks Although it's mentioned what they did to gain credit, I'm not entirely sure how they were able to set up the teaching. Do you simply approach a teaching hospital in your local area and ask if you can gain additional experience in X,Y & Z?

Thanks again
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We found out who the head of the department was. We set up a meeting with them and explained that we wanted to emigrate but required training in paediatrics. He discussed our situation with his colleagues and agreed to help.We then agreed with him exactly what we would do eg attend OP clinics, ward rounds, see kids in ER. He told HR about us, so we could get a " contract" - unpaid obviously.We needed security badges etc, police checks were ok as we were GPs in the area.It took some organising and took up a lot of our time but we were determined to do it.
Everyone was very helpful, colleagues helping colleagues . I think they quite liked having local GP input for a while and we updated our knowledge.
HTH!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
We found out who the head of the department was. We set up a meeting with them and explained that we wanted to emigrate but required training in paediatrics. He discussed our situation with his colleagues and agreed to help.We then agreed with him exactly what we would do eg attend OP clinics, ward rounds, see kids in ER. He told HR about us, so we could get a " contract" - unpaid obviously.We needed security badges etc, police checks were ok as we were GPs in the area.It took some organising and took up a lot of our time but we were determined to do it.
Everyone was very helpful, colleagues helping colleagues . I think they quite liked having local GP input for a while and we updated our knowledge.
HTH!
Thank you, thank you! Very informative! I really appreciate all your help!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Brainwave is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, I need help and advice. I had a job offer from a GP in surrey area . Cannot name him as that would be illegal. He sounded very nice on phone so I signed a two year contract with him. Since then I have coin out that he is a very bad employer and the GPs who worked with him had a horrendous time. I still want to work with the same health authority but not with him.
Am I bound with him through that contract I signed? I am still in UK, but can I chose a different clinic? Please help
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Hello Brainwave

Sorry about your situation
Is that Surrey BC?
Who else was involved? if BC, was Health Match BC involved or any of the Health Authority representatives

If I were you, I would take my concerns to them.
Also, since you're still here in the UK? and have.nt moved to start, it is better to find out as much as you can before making the move especially with the information you've had about the employer.
I hope it won't be too difficult to extricate your self from the situation, if need be
If it's BC then some other forum members who are GPs and already working in BC will soon come along to comment like snoopdawg
Sorry, I've not got any more advice, most doctors I know who made this move went over for site visits to see the practice and meet proposed colleagues, so something to bear in mind

Last edited by segs; Dec 15th 2013 at 1:04 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes it was surrey BC, i am feeling stupid to sign up after just the phone conversation, i thought if I am going through health match BC, how bad could it be?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

HI
When you say you signed a contract, what did the contract say? Most FPs in BC are self employed, a few are employed by Health Authorities but fairly rare.
Some FPs can be in loose "groups"- we are. You are still self employed but share overheads, I'm thinking this is you.
I know of FPs in relationships like that who very little contact with each other apart from sorting out overheads, we work fairly closely together, which I like as we always have someone to talk to, ask advice , share info etc.
You need to see the wording on the contract, can you break it? It really depends how "clever" this guy is- he needs someone to help pay his overheads, if others have fled, he may have made this contract watertight. Did he quote percentages?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

So i have been contracted as an independent contractor and my status is that of an associate. The split is competetive at 70:30, the contract remains in force for 2 years from the start date. My sponsor is the fraser health authority with this doctor acting as my superviser.

Does that make any sense? I cannot detail much as I may be acting illegally by doing that. But the feedback Ive got is that he can be very manipulative and can start playing up in different ways.

It says it is binding on all parties involved, no mention of a notice period

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 20th 2013 at 2:35 pm. Reason: Posts merged
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TBH I think you need legal advice about this, the splits ok, what does it says about holiday, illness?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

I had him commit to annual leave, so he agreed to it. No mention of illness though!

Also, he employed two more doctors, when there are only three clinical rooms. So in total there will be five dictors using 3 clinical rooms. From what I understand, doctors have to wait for each other for using the rooms

I did not know that there will be two more doctors coming when I signed the contract. For legal advice, would BCMA help?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 20th 2013 at 2:36 pm. Reason: Posts merged
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, this sounds awful! Neither the BCMA or the CMPA will be interested- not their remit.
Most docs work out of 2 rooms at a time- quickly alternate, the MOAs get next patient in whilst you are consulting.
3 rooms and 5 docs!- Sounds like you will be working part time and that this guy will be so flush with the money the rest of you will be paying for overheads that he wouldn't need to pay any- sweet for him!
I'm no lawyer but surely if you didn't have all the facts at the time of signing- ie didn't know about the other 2, you should be able to get out of this. Are you in the UK? Maybe run it past Healthmatch and ask if they have had a similar situation before- maybe they can point you in the right direction.
Ultimately, there are lots of jobs and lots of docs who can be your supervisor, take your time next time!!!! Preferably visit!
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Guys, be aware that its not all rosy in Canada, especially in Vancouver area, lots of unscrupulous people there, its nothing like UK., in Uk we are very protected , laws are very employee friendly. canada is different. I was nearly conned into this awful job and now everyone has washed their hands, Health Match BC, BCMA, etc, left it to me sort it out with the physician, advised me get legal counsel. Its rubbish. In Uk , every contract has to have termination clause, there are no contracts without any termination clauses,. Not so in Canada, in Canada, they could get you sign a slave bond and no one will bat an eyelid.
Also, in metro Vancouver area, the salary is not that great, after overheads are paid and tax is paid, not much more different from UK + living cost is actually higher. Smaller communities may be much better.
Do not sign anything without actually visiting, preferably sit in the clinics, see how much potential is there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.