Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Personally I think you will have to do it, the CPSBC will be the ones asking.We - UK/ Australia/South African trained docs get off quite lightly compared to the rest!!!
If you look at it, it's a small price to pay. Your earnings will be more here to offset the cost.We had to do paediatrics and coped whilst working / running around after 2 kids as well.
BC is beautiful and worth the effort. Where are you looking at?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:25 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by segs
Hello there,
I hope you can help on this 'medical training/qualifications' question

What evidence can a current UK salaried GP of 3 years standing provide to 'prove' competency in paediatrics and emergency medicine to the various provincial medical colleges if the said GP did not do a paediatrics or emergency medicine rotation during GPVTS training?

Rotations completed were
Medicine
Psychiatry
ENT/Opthamology
Obs and Gynae
And GP registrar year

Any advice would be appreciated especially if you've come across someone who has overcome this 'deficiency'

Thanks in advance
They need more doctors here, that's a common thing I've noticed and heard more and more.

I'm a nurse over here, we need more British doctors here believe me
You'll do well if you have the broad experience, paeds as well as adults. I'm adult trained but I now work with paeds as well as adults and my exam I had to sit and pass here was for both too.

Even the Canadians I have spoken to that have been a patient or had a relative that was one like our British ones more, and our nursing care, and to be honest, I miss working with you all too.
Don't get me wrong, I have interacted with many a nice doctor over here too, hospital junior doctors not so much when compared to those I worked with back in England they didn't care to order (prescribe) stopping a K+ infusion that was raising a patients blood level too high, saying it was not their patient and just walked off, unlike the ones I worked with back in the UK that cared more about the patient than whose doctor it was. My patient's here haven't had great experiences with their doctors but a doctors letter from me has often helped, and I've not had any bad experiences in Ontario with doctors myself. I found the team work with doctors and nurses in the UK hospitals much better than what I encountered in BC, but then the team work with nurses in the hospitals in general was too.

Originally Posted by mgpant
hi
I am a UK trained GP and my husband is a Psychiatrist.We are hoping to get work in Canada and emigrate in the next 2 years. This thread has been very useful but just wondered if there is any one area we ought to concentrate where more chances of both of us getting jobs. We were thinking BC/Alberta. Any advice appreciated..
thanks
Every province differs slightly, with it's laws, and needs, some need doctors more than others and some are more accepting of us, I'm a nurse myself. I found work far easier to get in Ontario, they were cutting back with contract jobs and making them more casual in BC to avoid paying out benefits and to save themselves 'employer' money.

I found Ontario far more like the UK than BC for working, and acceptance, for example, when I reported patient abuse to a manager at a long term care home, she looked down on me like I was causing her more work and didn't care to act on it which put me off working for her obviously. When I mentioned it in Ontario they said, they definitely would not be ignoring anything like that. In hindsight I should have reported it to the nursing body. I also found they had an 'attitude' in BC of feeling they were above everyone else and better, but have not felt that attitude here, so to me, Ontario is better.
The work economy is not as great in Vancouver area, and that was across the board, not just job specific. Far more hospitals where I am now in Ontario to choose from, but I don't like working in hospitals here compared to the UK, hence I prefer working in the community these days, which is far nicer. I work as a visiting (district nurse) these days.

I fed back a few things I noticed, comparisons, to CRA (the goverment on tax returns), who agreed and said the further East you live in Canada, the more you will find it is like the UK in how they do things, can't remember the ins and outs totally, just that mainly. Alberta is beautiful, especially the Rockies which I didn't rule out living and working in, apart from it being colder when Ontario is cold enough for me in winter.

BC has a climate more like the UK and warmer winters than the rest of Canada. BC and Alberta are both great for downhill skiing too. Think you'll find Alberta has more work opportunities than BC, and it's the friendliest place I visited in Canada (the Rockies three times over while living in BC). Some health care profs have been relocating to Alberta from Ontario too for slightly better pay and work opportunities, it's the oil area of Canada so is richer.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 3rd 2013 at 9:47 am. Reason: Merged
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

shellygb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hello All,
Thank you for sharing all your experiences and pearls of wisdom.
I am in the latter stages getting employment as a GP in BC. I have chosen a clinic;accepted a job offer etc. Now trying to negotiate physciansapply.ca.
For those of you that have had dealings: Did you submit all of your certificates including DCH,DRCOG etc or the salient ones: MBBS,MRCGP and JCTGP?
Would be grateful for any feedback-it maybe 'just me' but I don't find the site easy to use and my last e-mail enquiry was replied after 6 weeks!

Look forward to hearing from someone.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:56 am
Just Joined

sidds29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Personally I think you will have to do it, the CPSBC will be the ones asking.We - UK/ Australia/South African trained docs get off quite lightly compared to the rest!!!
If you look at it, it's a small price to pay. Your earnings will be more here to offset the cost.We had to do paediatrics and coped whilst working / running around after 2 kids as well.
BC is beautiful and worth the effort. Where are you looking at?
thanks for your prompt reply
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:56 am
Just Joined

sidds29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Supermum1
They need more doctors here, that's a common thing I've noticed and heard more and more.

I'm a nurse over here, we need more British doctors here believe me
You'll do well if you have the broad experience, paeds as well as adults. I'm adult trained but I now work with paeds as well as adults and my exam I had to sit and pass here was for both too.

Even the Canadians I have spoken to that have been a patient or had a relative that was one like our British ones more, and our nursing care, and to be honest, I miss working with you all too.
Don't get me wrong, I have interacted with many a nice doctor over here too, hospital junior doctors not so much when compared to those I worked with back in England they didn't care to order (prescribe) stopping a K+ infusion that was raising a patients blood level too high, saying it was not their patient and just walked off, unlike the ones I worked with back in the UK that cared more about the patient than whose doctor it was. My patient's here haven't had great experiences with their doctors but a doctors letter from me has often helped, and I've not had any bad experiences in Ontario with doctors myself. I found the team work with doctors and nurses in the UK hospitals much better than what I encountered in BC, but then the team work with nurses in the hospitals in general was too.

Every province differs slightly, with it's laws, and needs, some need doctors more than others and some are more accepting of us, I'm a nurse myself. I found work far easier to get in Ontario, they were cutting back with contract jobs and making them more casual in BC to avoid paying out benefits and to save themselves 'employer' money.

I found Ontario far more like the UK than BC for working, and acceptance, for example, when I reported patient abuse to a manager at a long term care home, she looked down on me like I was causing her more work and didn't care to act on it which put me off working for her obviously. When I mentioned it in Ontario they said, they definitely would not be ignoring anything like that. In hindsight I should have reported it to the nursing body. I also found they had an 'attitude' in BC of feeling they were above everyone else and better, but have not felt that attitude here, so to me, Ontario is better.
The work economy is not as great in Vancouver area, and that was across the board, not just job specific. Far more hospitals where I am now in Ontario to choose from, but I don't like working in hospitals here compared to the UK, hence I prefer working in the community these days, which is far nicer. I work as a visiting (district nurse) these days.

I fed back a few things I noticed, comparisons, to CRA (the goverment on tax returns), who agreed and said the further East you live in Canada, the more you will find it is like the UK in how they do things, can't remember the ins and outs totally, just that mainly. Alberta is beautiful, especially the Rockies which I didn't rule out living and working in, apart from it being colder when Ontario is cold enough for me in winter.

BC has a climate more like the UK and warmer winters than the rest of Canada. BC and Alberta are both great for downhill skiing too. Think you'll find Alberta has more work opportunities than BC, and it's the friendliest place I visited in Canada (the Rockies three times over while living in BC). Some health care profs have been relocating to Alberta from Ontario too for slightly better pay and work opportunities, it's the oil area of Canada so is richer.

thank you very much for your info
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We sent everything we could , we figured that it was best and its such a pain to do- at least was with the old PCRC- that we didn't want to keep having to send other bits.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your prompt reply Snoogdawg( great username!)
Looks like the costs will soon mount up at 140 CAD to source verify each document.
No pain no gain!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shellygb
Looks like the costs will soon mount up at 140 CAD to source verify each document.
It's a drop in the ocean weighed against your earning potential.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Yeah...you're right. Hard to imagine right now!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:35 am
JSD
Just Joined

JSD is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any general advice regarding how difficult the MCCQE1 & 2 exams and if they must be passed withing 3 years of starting work in BC?

My wife and I have started the BC healtmatch process (both completed GP training 3 years ago) but have 3 kids now and cannot face exams with babies and the move to Canada all rolled in to one!

Is it possible to fly to Canada and complete the MCCQE1 while living in the UK? ie before you start working on the ground.

Is there any possible method by which you can obtain full exemption from the exams?

Thanks in advance
Jas
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JSD
Does anyone have any general advice regarding how difficult the MCCQE1 & 2 exams and if they must be passed withing 3 years of starting work in BC?

My wife and I have started the BC healtmatch process (both completed GP training 3 years ago) but have 3 kids now and cannot face exams with babies and the move to Canada all rolled in to one!

Is it possible to fly to Canada and complete the MCCQE1 while living in the UK? ie before you start working on the ground.

Is there any possible method by which you can obtain full exemption from the exams?

Thanks in advance
Jas
Hi
Am fairly sure you must do the MCCQE1 after working here a bit. To be honest, it should be fairly easy for you, we did almost no work- honest- for it- may be a total of a day or two- and passed easily. It would not impact you with kids- just that you would need a baby sitter for a day
The MCCQE2 has been merged with the exam from the College of family physicians of Canada- see http://www.cfpc.ca/2013_CCFP/
You can get exemption from it if you have your MRCGP but I'm not sure if you would then need to get your MCCQE2!!!! This would negate the benefits of having your MRCGP!!
I would email them and ask the question

As for length of time- that seem to vary a little but I think 3 years is the norm
Old Sep 27th 2013, 8:00 am
JSD
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Hi
Am fairly sure you must do the MCCQE1 after working here a bit. To be honest, it should be fairly easy for you, we did almost no work- honest- for it- may be a total of a day or two- and passed easily. It would not impact you with kids- just that you would need a baby sitter for a day
The MCCQE2 has been merged with the exam from the College of family physicians of Canada- see http://www.cfpc.ca/2013_CCFP/
You can get exemption from it if you have your MRCGP but I'm not sure if you would then need to get your MCCQE2!!!! This would negate the benefits of having your MRCGP!!
I would email them and ask the question

As for length of time- that seem to vary a little but I think 3 years is the norm
Hi snoopdawg,

Many thanks for your prompt response, I will email them today and keep informed of their response.

Apologies for any basic questions but how dose the allocation of hospital privileges work? How do you get out them? and how bad can it get?

I have done some background reading criticising FPs in BC for giving up these and leaving it to the the hospitalists.

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:33 pm
JSD
Just Joined

Dear Dr.

Graduates of general practice vocational training programmes that have been accredited by the General Medical Council (GMC) and who meet the standards of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) and who also hold membership in the Royal College of General Practitioners (MRCGP) are eligible to obtain CCFP without examination based on their training and certification in the UK. If this applies to you, please see http://www.cfpc.ca/RecognizedTraining/ for more information including the application form and steps to complete. In this case, if you are eligible to obtain CCFP without examination, to obtain your MCCQE1 and MCCQE2, you would need to register directly with the Medical Council of Canada to sit these examinations.

If the above does not apply to you, so that you are not eligible for CCFP without examination, you would need to sit the new Certification Examination in Family Medicine in order to obtain your CCFP. In this case, you would need to meet the exam eligibility requirements, available at http://www.cfpc.ca/CategoryB/ , including having successfully completed the MCCQE 1, prior to sitting the exam.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Examination Candidate Coordinator
The College of Family Physicians of Canada
905-629-0900 or 1-800-387-6197 ext. 393
[email protected]
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:20 pm
ONI
Just Joined

ONI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

I am just starting the process of trying to work in Alberta. I am a newly qualified GP looking for a change. I chose Alberta because it seems to have the easiest registration process though I would rather work somewhere like BC as a single traveller.

I would love to find out the real deal about working in Alberta so finding this is so great! Ann M will definitely be messaging you for some advice

Originally Posted by ann m
If there are GP's still reading this thread, and not put off () and would consider Alberta - even Cochrane - for work, I have an excellent contact. British-trained GP - has been here about five years, and like snoopdawg, can explain the non-glossy warts-and-all version of working here. Can also point you in the right direction re hoops that need to be jumped. LMO's might even be available. Send me a message.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

makalino is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys!

First off- great forum! A lot of good advice on here.

I'm currently living in the UK as a GP and have been thinking about relocating to Canada. I have one question and was hoping someone could help with it - if you haven't completed all the required rotations, how do you go about making up for it to satisfy the requirements of the provincial college? (Ie: don't have a full 8 weeks of obstetrics/gynaecology)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.