Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

jem1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

thanks snoopdawg!

Just wanted to see if there was any current/recent experience with this prior to contacting healthmatch...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Medix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to all
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

I have made extensive use of Healthmatch BC. I can say they are very helpful but the CPSBC is rigid with it's requirements. Be patient (I would allow at least a year). I managed to get exempted from MCCEE by having the correct rotations and MRCGP (which as a newly qualifying GP you should get anyway in conjunction with your CCT). The CPSBC's take is that since MRCGP holders are eligible for CCFP registration by virtue of recognition of training (called the ARC pathway), this is one way that the Medical Council of Canada will give MCCEE exemption. As far as I am aware, no other province will allow this (Alberta and SK insist upon MCCEE).

You should be able to make up the missing rotation but you MUST have it otherwise they will refuse registration. When my deanery gave me a letter, they omitted the word 'Obstetrics' from my O&G rotation and the college insisted on full and correct terminology to accept I had done my four months of O&G - so I had to get it re-typed.

As an example, of timescales, I applied in late 2011 and I am starting in a few weeks! It took even longer than I thought. Also be aware that the process of document verification with the PCRC is painfully slow - I would suggest getting started early. Good luck!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

jem1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks medix!
Was it the immigration and PCRC process that took the longest?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Medix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to allMedix is a name known to all

Yes, definitely. Once Healthmatch makes contact with the College, they are pretty quick at turning around your eligibility review and letting you know if you meet their requirements.

The slowest part is the interaction with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). PCRC themselves are reasonable in that you have to physically mail them all your paperwork, but in my case, some of the institutions (especially the deanery) took forever to acknowledge the authenticity of their own documents. Some of my documents sat on 'In Progress' for months until I hunted down the right people to check their mail to ensure they had actually acted upon the request!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

mgpant is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
I am a UK trained GP and my husband is a Psychiatrist.We are hoping to get work in Canada and emigrate in the next 2 years. This thread has been very useful but just wondered if there is any one area we ought to concentrate where more chances of both of us getting jobs. We were thinking BC/Alberta. Any advice appreciated..
thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Also if anyone knows about the 89 day locum programme in Alberta??
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Have a look at a blog below
http://gpincanada.tumblr.com/post/54...ocum-programme
or

email the coordinator direct at <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 2nd 2013 at 1:26 pm. Reason: Pls don't put others email addresses on a public forum - they won't thank you when it's picked up by every spambot!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

You can also PM me if you'd like
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies christmasoompa
I should have thought
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by segs
Apologies christmasoompa
I should have thought
No problem. Mgpant can PM you for the email address if s/he wishes.

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is interested I have contacts for physician recruitment in Kingston Ontario and Brockville Ontario, please PM me and I will gladly pass info on.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:11 am
Just Joined

thanks for your replies Segs,christmasoompa and shelley748, will sent a pm to you
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

sidds29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great forum and great people ..could I pick brains please???
I am qualified as GP in UK 4 last 2yrs.
I got CCT n MRCGP
Started process with health match BC.

I have been asked to do clinical attachments of 4weeks psych
And 8weeks of O&G.!!!!
My rotations are
Oncology
Peads
Care of elderly / gen medicine
GP registrar
I done A&E for 7 years ,4 years of senior clinical fellow(registrar)

Is a letter from A&E consultant or my GP trainer enough - if they say I am competent in O&G and Psychs

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I think such letters should do; but check with the health match consultants
We abandonned BC for Ontario [ healthforce ontario] cause they [BC] wanted my GP husband to do a peads attachment

Ask health match direct they're v helpful
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

sidds29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot seg..
how is his health match with Ontario going on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.