Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chartered Building Surveyors

Chartered Building Surveyors

Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:54 am
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chartered Building Surveyors

Does anybody know whether this job exists in Canada?

We're thinking of emigrating to Vancouver but i'm getting a bit confused by the NOC lists as i'm not sure whether my husbands job is on this list or not as there seems to be a bit of a job title translation issue.

apparently (and i'm not too sure as obviously i go into dreamland whenever he talks about work!!) he's a building surveryor dealing mainly with commercial construction and refits. He works in the projects team so i think that means he does a far bit of project management and the odd survey or two as well.

Anyway....what does that translate to over in Canada (if it transfers at all) and would he need to be reaccredited to work? Is it hard to find jobs? etc etc

any help much appreciated
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chartered Building Surveyors

From the list of regional occupations under pressure for BC, maybe he can fit into one of these:

1122 Professional occupations in business services to management
2131 Civil engineers
2154 Land Surveyors
2234 Construction estimators
7219 Contractors and supervisors - other construction trades

None of them are actually building surveyors but if you are prepared to be a bit creative in your application there is plenty of work available in the construction industry in BC.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
From the list of regional occupations under pressure for BC, maybe he can fit into one of these:

1122 Professional occupations in business services to management
2131 Civil engineers
2154 Land Surveyors
2234 Construction estimators
7219 Contractors and supervisors - other construction trades

None of them are actually building surveyors but if you are prepared to be a bit creative in your application there is plenty of work available in the construction industry in BC.
I'm an estates surveyor and I didn't think it translates well at all, it's best to look at the professional bodies and see which has his skill set.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Teacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to allTeacup is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
I'm an estates surveyor and I didn't think it translates well at all, it's best to look at the professional bodies and see which has his skill set.
My uncle is a chartered surveyor (FRICS) and came here a few years back with tons of experience and his own successful business behind him. He had trouble with having his qualifications recognised and even with his own business in Canada found that it was a quite different industry.

There is a company called Measuremasters based about 30 minutes outside Vancouver that might be close to what you are looking for. Try this link.

http://www.constructionmall.com/profile/3599
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:52 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I've not come across Building Surveyors in Manitoba.

Here we have "House Inspectors" unregulated, anyone can open up, and call themselves a "House Inspector".

If we need a Professional we get hold of a "Manitoba Registered Professional Engineer" who gives a structural (or whatever) Report on the property.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:12 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Smile Re: Chartered Building Surveyors

Hi

I'm also a Building Surveyor working as a Consultant Building Control Surveyor and I have been listed as a Construction Inspector.

KJM