Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changing from UK Licence to Ontario

Changing from UK Licence to Ontario

Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

juels275 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing from UK Licence to Ontario

All applicants must declare their driving experience on the driver's licence application form.
All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence at the time of application are required to;
  • present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator)
  • present written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s office representing the jurisdiction, in order to get credit for their driving experience.
  • pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules
  • pay all applicable fees
Provide acceptable proof of identity.

Where do we get the written authenitcation of foreign driving experience - is this just the UK paper licence part?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:18 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing from UK Licence to Ontario

Just take your paper and card licence. They will take them off you though to send back to the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

juels275 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I was there on Tuesday & they would not accept this. Kept telling me I needed a letter from DVLA. I'll make another appointment to go.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:32 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
...They will take them off you though to send back to the UK.
That doesnt always happen but yes, the OP will still get a Canadian license
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

i photocopied our UK licences first, just incase.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

bobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nice

Originally Posted by juels275
Thanks. I was there on Tuesday & they would not accept this. Kept telling me I needed a letter from DVLA. I'll make another appointment to go.
Sounds like they are being hard on you.
Go to the next nearest centre. Do not make an appointment.
When I did mine it was a ten minute process
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Many people "lose" their UK license shortly before heading to Canada, and then "find" it again shortly after the DVLO kindly send a replacement.

If you catch my drift
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:02 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Many people "lose" their UK license shortly before heading to Canada, and then "find" it again shortly after the DVLO kindly send a replacement.

If you catch my drift
But arent you supposed to send one of them back to DVLA. Thought its an offence to keep two licences at the same time.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
But arent you supposed to send one of them back to DVLA. Thought its an offence to keep two licences at the same time.
Far as I can tell you dont have two UK licenses if you just swapped one for an Ontario one...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I know of a few people who have done that.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:23 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

If you catch my drift
That happened to me too.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:39 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
That happened to me too.
I wish it had happened to me! I changed mine in March 2004 when they started accepting and luckily got them to photocopy my UK card! Wish they would now sort themselves out here to allow my full bike licence to also be valid!! Crazy exchange rules that a car licence can transfer but not a bike!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Jules25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would ask here..

What about a full motorcycle licence? For New Brunswick?

Hope no one minds me asking here : )
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:52 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules25

Im in toronto area so not sure about BC but understand it is a bit different there?!?!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I have a full Bike licence, but they will not simply swap that for a motorcycle entitlement...you need to take the Canadian Bike test, which I am really peeved about. As I worked hard to get it...I don't understand them not giving it to you. I took mine 25 years ago and have not been on a bike for around 20 years.....so I don't need it......and I wouldn't be stupid enough to walk onto a forecourt and buy a bike and drive off with it, without having a couple of refresher lessons....but that is not the point

You will still have entitlement if you went back and got another replacement UK Licence.

You will need to get a Driver's History from DVLA costs £5 and in the UK takes about 10 days to come back to you. It does show more than what is on your paper part of the licence, as it gives dates when all the tests were passed, and any convictions ever.....if convicted there is nothing stopping you for applying for a replacement licence when the endorsement is spent...it would come back to you clean....so this is why I think they are asking.
Hope this helps
Stef

Originally Posted by Jules25

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.