Changing £ into CAD$

Changing £ into CAD$

Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

No1champ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing £ into CAD$

Hi

I am moving to Canada in a few weeks.

I was thinking of using currency fair for exchanging my £ into $. this may sound silly but will i have to physically wait until I am in Canada and have set up a Canadian bank account before I can transfer?

Or would it be better to send it to my partner who is already in Canada whilst i'm in the uk and she can transfer me the money once i've set up my bank account?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing £ into CAD$

We sent ours through Halo Financial. They "held it" for up to a week to get the best exchange rate. You could see whether they can hold it from when you transfer it until you open then Canadian account which would be only a couple of days?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends how urgently you need the $CAD! We opened a chequing account (which is what a current account is called over here) the day after we landed: it took all of 30 mins. We went with PC Financial as they don't charge you for 'normal' bank services. Then transferred mney into it with CurrencyFair, with no problem. In the interim we withdrew Canadian dollars from our UK bank account using our Visa Debit cards.

We try to avoid transferring money to and from each other - just i case we get audited by the Canadian tax authorities, and have the hassle of explaining that this large transfer from another person shouldn't be treated as income. But that might just be paranoia!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No1champ
Hi

I am moving to Canada in a few weeks.

I was thinking of using currency fair for exchanging my £ into $. this may sound silly but will i have to physically wait until I am in Canada and have set up a Canadian bank account before I can transfer?

Or would it be better to send it to my partner who is already in Canada whilst i'm in the uk and she can transfer me the money once i've set up my bank account?
We set up a Canadian bank account while in the UK, from the UK. Then we transferred the money into that account with no issues.

We weren't able to make any withdrawals from the account until we had presented ourselves in Canada but, once we had done so, we could withdraw whatever we wanted to.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

ryanh1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would use Transferwise, we have used it for a few transactions of around $1000 and the fee has been significantly lower than any other means. Give it a look.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You have to have a bank account to send it to, whether it be yours or someone else's.

Most of the Fx houses are fine, bit of a hobsons choice. You'll get a multitude of suggestions on here. Pick one out of a hat. I use Western Union Business Solutions, Custom House (owned by WU) do retail Fx, as do many others. Pick a rate you are happy with and do the exchange. Sometimes I have got a better rate writing a cheque to myself in GBP and depositing it into my CAD account. Unless you have a long standing relaitonship with the bank, this could result in a short hold on the funds until they clear. Usually around 10 days.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:16 am
Just Joined

ryanh1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
You have to have a bank account to send it to, whether it be yours or someone else's.

Most of the Fx houses are fine, bit of a hobsons choice. You'll get a multitude of suggestions on here. Pick one out of a hat. I use Western Union Business Solutions, Custom House (owned by WU) do retail Fx, as do many others. Pick a rate you are happy with and do the exchange. Sometimes I have got a better rate writing a cheque to myself in GBP and depositing it into my CAD account. Unless you have a long standing relaitonship with the bank, this could result in a short hold on the funds until they clear. Usually around 10 days.
I would agree that most standard fx services are the same but there are some smarter systems that avoid sending your money across border by matching it up with a transaction from your target destination. You money goes to their recipient account in the U.K. and their money goes to your recipient account in Canada. It is very clever and saves you huge amounts. Transferwise charge as little as 0.5% as a fee and as you aren't sending the money cross border you recipient account receives the entire rate of exchange
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanh1988
I would agree that most standard fx services are the same but there are some smarter systems that avoid sending your money across border by matching it up with a transaction from your target destination. You money goes to their recipient account in the U.K. and their money goes to your recipient account in Canada. It is very clever and saves you huge amounts. Transferwise charge as little as 0.5% as a fee and as you aren't sending the money cross border you recipient account receives the entire rate of exchange
Transferwise compare themselves to banks, not Fx houses. What counts is not how much you are charged, but how much you get in your account at the end of the transactions. Savvy traders will check all this out to transfer the most cost effective way, on occasion negotiating with the institution.

Transferwise, as with banks and other institutions are out to make money. For profit organisations look at the bottom line and try to find innovative ways to market their services.

Out of interest, I did a sample calculation on the their website, it was not as good as the rate I could get from my financial institution.

They are all out to make money, the banks will get it one way or another. If they lose on one division, charges go up in another.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 20th 2015 at 3:36 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently done a transfer via paypal. I have a Canadian paypal account linked to my RBC and a UK paypal account linked to my Barclays (you will need two email addresses). In all paypal charge 2% fee plus the rate is a little lower. All in all I worked out it cost 4% and took 3 days. Transferwise looks good as well for £ to CAD (havn't used it yet but looks good) but cant yet do CAD to £. When I worked it out though for any amounts over around 1,200 the bank was the better deal despite the seemingly expensive fees (they gave a much better rate)

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Nov 20th 2015 at 5:34 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We set up a Canadian bank account while in the UK, from the UK. Then we transferred the money into that account with no issues.

We weren't able to make any withdrawals from the account until we had presented ourselves in Canada but, once we had done so, we could withdraw whatever we wanted to.
Could you say what bank you used. We have tried a couple who were not interested, including HSBC, who really do not make the process easy and charge £50 for the privilege. Would like to know which bank you went to. Many thanks.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 3:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I've recently done a transfer via paypal. I have a Canadian paypal account linked to my RBC and a UK paypal account linked to my Barclays (you will need two email addresses). In all paypal charge 2% fee plus the rate is a little lower. All in all I worked out it cost 4% and took 3 days. .....
Ouch! That's a bit pricy - the last time I checked xe.com worked out around 2%. 1% is quite achievable, and one exchanger/remitter (maybe Transferwise?) I hear charges only 0.5% (aggregate spread + fee).
Old Nov 21st 2015, 4:49 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Monthly income is paid into my German bank account from my freelance translation work for clients there (many of them refuse to consider any other option). Transferwise works fine for my monthly transfers to my Canadian checking account. PayPal is horribly pricey, and Skrill (Moneybookers) little better. Only minor complaint about Transferwise is the time it takes to complete a transaction.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Seems transfer wise is the way to go for £ to CAD. Anyone got any tips for otherway round?
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by williamceri
Could you say what bank you used. We have tried a couple who were not interested, including HSBC, who really do not make the process easy and charge £50 for the privilege. Would like to know which bank you went to. Many thanks.
TD Canada Trust
Old Nov 28th 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

bobby.scott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are moving to Canada in a few weeks and we have learnt about "Xend Pay" which featured in the press recently. You pay Xend Pay what you feel their service is worth to you for transferring your money across. So if you dont like it pay nothing!

I have benchmarked them against many of the banks, post office, John Lewis Money, FXs etc all on the same day, made sure that i included all charges at both ends and exchange rates and they continuously work out cheaper. If you are moving a large amount of money, they will have a conversation and improve the rate as well.

Worth looking at certainly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.