Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changes to TWP programme

Changes to TWP programme

Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:16 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to TWP programme

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How would you know? It's not good at any rate. RBC and their recruitment company have shaken it all up and made life that much more difficult for new foreign workers
I don't know if it will, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and yes it sucks for new foreign workers
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

As someone who is planning on moving out in August on an LMO i am very very worried indeed.

Not only that but the power to revoke existing LMO's is dangerous for those employed and currently going through PNP
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I don't know if it will, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and yes it sucks for new foreign workers
Yet aren't Brits in the UK complaining about foreign workers Oh I forgot they are EU citizens legally entitled to work in the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

How would you know? It's not good at any rate. RBC and their recruitment company have shaken it all up and made life that much more difficult for new foreign workers
It wasn't just RBC, CBC had tons of people moan to them and I've got to say the PR depts of those companies (if they exist) such as Sunwing only confirmed that they were abusing the permit procedure.

Like I said at the start of the thread, if you look back at Kenney's comments when he first got the job, he intended for people to come in on TWP rather than as PRs, which is why the number of people on work permits has grown massively. How hard is it to get SW1 now without an employer? Next to impossible. (Yes I know TFW is not the same thing but I'm talking about permits generally).
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:59 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yet aren't Brits in the UK complaining about foreign workers Oh I forgot they are EU citizens legally entitled to work in the UK.
I know your joking FL, but it is a good point that some people complain. However, I have polish friends, my girlfriend is Danish, I have some German friends. You get the picture basically I have no issue with immigration, as the people I know work damn hard and a lot harder than these people who can't be bothered to get a job and then complain immigrants took their jobs

Ok rant over

Last edited by Mikeypm; Apr 30th 2013 at 8:01 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, maybe I`m getting this all wrong but it doesnt seem like that long ago I was constantly hearing about how Canada had massive skills shortages which were set to get worse

The answer, it was proclaimed, was to seek skilled workers from overseas and entice them over to Canada (which it did by BIG recruitment drives at "Working Abroad" expos etc etc - thats where I first heard)

Now, it seems the tide has turned - more hoops are being introduced to reduce the very thing they were desperate for a few months ago

So are all the shortages now satisfied? Or have I got it all wrong?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Ok, maybe I`m getting this all wrong but it doesnt seem like that long ago I was constantly hearing about how Canada had massive skills shortages which were set to get worse

The answer, it was proclaimed, was to seek skilled workers from overseas and entice them over to Canada (which it did by BIG recruitment drives at "Working Abroad" expos etc etc - thats where I first heard)

Now, it seems the tide has turned - more hoops are being introduced to reduce the very thing they were desperate for a few months ago

So are all the shortages now satisfied? Or have I got it all wrong?
You've got it wrong. What happened is that the utterly incompetent Jason Kenny, aided by the not incompetent but utterly immoral Harper, fiddled with the rules in a way which made it advantageous for companies in several sectors to lay off Canadians and hire foreigners for grunge work. This has been cynically exploited (as you'd expect) by many employers.

The shortages aren't satisfied, but unemployment has gone up anyway. As have profits in the relevant sectors. Nice job if you're not bothered about people but just about the bottom line.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You've got it wrong. What happened is that the utterly incompetent Jason Kenny, aided by the not incompetent but utterly immoral Harper, fiddled with the rules in a way which made it advantageous for companies in several sectors to lay off Canadians and hire foreigners for grunge work. This has been cynically exploited (as you'd expect) by many employers.

The shortages aren't satisfied, but unemployment has gone up anyway. As have profits in the relevant sectors. Nice job if you're not bothered about people but just about the bottom line.
Why were the rules fiddled with? What was the intended politcal gain?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Why were the rules fiddled with? What was the intended politcal gain?
More money in the pockets of their funding sources of course. The Harperists don't think the electorate has an IQ over 20 and for the most part they're right.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:49 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I know your joking FL, but it is a good point that some people complain. However, I have polish friends, my girlfriend is Danish, I have some German friends. You get the picture basically I have no issue with immigration, as the people I know work damn hard and a lot harder than these people who can't be bothered to get a job and then complain immigrants took their jobs

Ok rant over
This is what they said on the radio today.

The problem is with the lower paid workers, landscaping or waitressing and yes, serving a fresh Timmies. Try getting a 19-20 yer old University graduate to do the above.!!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:55 pm
Born again atheist

This is what they said on the radio today.

The problem is with the lower paid workers, landscaping or waitressing and yes, serving a fresh Timmies. Try getting a 19-20 yer old University graduate to do the above.!!
I may be wrong, but I think a 19-20 year old University graduate would be a news story in itself.

That aside, a lot of 23-25 year old University graduates have little choice these days, but to take the jobs you mention.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:03 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I may be wrong, but I think a 19-20 year old University graduate would be a news story in itself.

That aside, a lot of 23-25 year old University graduates have little choice these days, but to take the jobs you mention.
Oops, maybe mine are drop outs and would fit in perfectly then :@)
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Interesting sats on LMOs issued in 2012 for all of Canada.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/fore...erly2012.shtml

Alberta approx 84,000 positive LMOs WOW.
The detailed breakdowns are quite interesting. The top 20 occupations for Oct-Dec don't exactly seem like those that most Canadians would be desperately keen to work in.

NOC Code Occupational Group Number Rank
6641 Food Counter Attendants, Kitchen Helpers and Related Occupations 5,605 1
8432 Nursery and Greenhouse Workers 5,030 2
6474 Babysitters, Nannies and Parents' Helpers 3,630 3
6242 Cooks 3,090 4
6212 Food Service Supervisors 2,365 5
8431 General Farm Workers 2,150 6
8611 Harvesting Labourers 1,680 7
6661 Light Duty Cleaners 1,275 8
7411 Truck Drivers 1,240 9
5232 Other Performers 980 10
7293 Insulators 920 11
6453 Food and Beverage Servers 770 12
6611 Cashiers 765 13
7252 Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers 555 14
2243 Industrial Instrument Technicians and Mechanics 555 14
9463 Fish Plant Workers 530 16
7611 Construction Trades Helpers and Labourers 520 17
5133 Musicians and Singers 520 17
7271 Carpenters 460 19
9462 Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers 440 20
Old May 1st 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice

it doesn't affect LMO's already in process
I'm getting slightly worried as my hubby is waiting for his LMO (3 weeks now)
Old May 1st 2013, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
newsflash. Canadians are no more or less whipped up by immigration fraud that brits are. I don't know why that would be a surprise?
Promise me you'll never get involved in politics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.