Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chances of finding rental in Edmonton on arrival

Chances of finding rental in Edmonton on arrival

Old Nov 28th 2019, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chances of finding rental in Edmonton on arrival

Hi all

I'm moving to Canada (Edmonton) in January. For my first month, I have booked an Airbnb but there is no option to extend so I'm facing either booking another airbnb for February or using my first couple of weeks to find a longer term rental.

Given that I won't yet have a credit rating and won't really have any references, but I will have a full time job, can anyone comment on the likelihood of me finding a place? Most ads I'm looking at state credit checks and references essential.

Ideally, I'd be renting a stand alone property (not sharing) but realistically I'm probably looking at a basement property until I get myself properly established.

I'd rather book an airbnb now whilst there is still decent availablility, if my chances of a longer term rental aren't that great. Hence my question now.

Thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:16 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of finding rental in Edmonton on arrival

EASY PEASY..its that simple
Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what does that mean!? Should I be taking a chance on the ads (most of them) that say 'credit check and references mandatory'? I don't want to waste time on either side.

Actually, I'm looking at airbnb as it currently seems to be a cheaper option...montly rate the same with utilites all in and no damage deposit to risk! Roughly 700GBP per month all in. Can't seem to find rental places of an equivalent standard for cheaper! But I've dreamed about having my own house (no separate basement flat) to rent and am willing to pay a bit more for that privilege.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 3:54 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bairn7 View Post
Sorry, what does that mean!? Should I be taking a chance on the ads (most of them) that say 'credit check and references mandatory'? I don't want to waste time on either side.

Actually, I'm looking at airbnb as it currently seems to be a cheaper option...montly rate the same with utilites all in and no damage deposit to risk! Roughly 700GBP per month all in. Can't seem to find rental places of an equivalent standard for cheaper! But I've dreamed about having my own house (no separate basement flat) to rent and am willing to pay a bit more for that privilege.
Have you looked at the different websites listed and general advice in our wiki? https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

There's a few town houses for under $1400
https://www.gottarent.com/searchresu...sort=price_asc

Do make sure you read the tenancy act and what they can and can't charge you for. https://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/ti...%20tenants.pdf

Also check reviews for places you are considering https://rentitornot.com/apartment/se...country=Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 30th 2019 at 4:02 am.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

AMB1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.broadstreet.ca/ and they provide reasonably new condo's all across the city with the option of a monthly lease, so if you find somewhere better its easy to get out of, as for credit checks etc, you should have enough to satisfy them after your first month here
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 3:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bairn7 View Post

i have rented twice in Edmonton..both 4 bedroom detached houses in the nice part of the city..first time no job, no references, no credit checks..paid a month rent in advance and damage deposit..2nd time i had a secured job..other than that the process was the same.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
i have rented twice in Edmonton..both 4 bedroom detached houses in the nice part of the city..first time no job, no references, no credit checks..paid a month rent in advance and damage deposit..2nd time i had a secured job..other than that the process was the same.
Thanks cheeky_monkey, that's reassuring!