Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A chance of a lifetime, should I stay or go…?

A chance of a lifetime, should I stay or go…?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:13 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A chance of a lifetime, should I stay or go…?

Originally Posted by sarah_matt
Bull Shit on the holiday front. A lot of Canadians have no idea what a holiday is or going any further than 20 miles. 90% of the Canadians I know have never left Canada and 60% have never left ns. If they don't use the week of for hunting they normally do nothing. Remember most normal Canadians would not use this site so you will never get a true Canadian response.
So how many Canadians do you know, because this is certainly not my experience. I cannot think of any neighbour, friend or relative living in Canada that has not been overseas at least once and for most, many times. I also know many people living in all parts of this country who are ardent overseas travelers.
Your generalization is bullshit!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Bull Shit on the holiday front. A lot of Canadians have no idea what a holiday is or going any further than 20 miles. 90% of the Canadians I know have never left Canada and 60% have never left ns. If they don't use the week of for hunting they normally do nothing. Remember most normal Canadians would not use this site so you will never get a true Canadian response.
I would say that 10% of Canadians left Canada this month at some point. Also, between kids hockey and basketball tournanments, travelling south for a vacation to the US, Mexico, South America or the Caribean, and those travelling west to work their shift, I would guestimate 40% of Nova Scotians left Nova Scotia this month or at least this winter.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Jan 27th 2010 at 8:53 pm. Reason: it's not your business
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I would say that 10% of Canadians left Canada this month at some point. Also, between kids hockey and basketball tournanments, travelling south for a vacation to the US, Mexico, South America or the Caribean, and those travelling west to work their shift, I would guestimate 40% of Nova Scotians left Nova Scotia last month.
I disagree. I think 40% stayed at home or had roast beef, while another 20% went without that food stuff. In addition another 20% went to some kind of trading establishment.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be living in some isolated backwoods place then. It's not the case here. One co-worker just got back from London and Oslo, one was in Hawaii, and another was on the island.

Plus with time in with a company here, vacation is more comparable to the UK on average (around 4-5 weeks). But you do need time in. It took me 10 years to get to 5 weeks. However, I can bank overtime and I find that there is a much more relaxed approach about leaving early for the weekend, or doing personal errands.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I disagree. I think 40% stayed at home or had roast beef, while another 20% went without that food stuff. In addition another 20% went to some kind of trading establishment.
Those figures are spot on. 35% of Nova Scotians are cannibals.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Plus with time in with a company here, vacation is more comparable to the UK on average (around 4-5 weeks). But you do need time in. It took me 10 years to get to 5 weeks. However, I can bank overtime and I find that there is a much more relaxed approach about leaving early for the weekend, or doing personal errands.
I get five weeks and as much flexibility and freedom as I want. I had this in the UK too though, but with six weeks vacation.

Anyway - in the RCMP it's easy to accrue extra holiday. Just shag one of the witnesses and reap the rewards of indefinite gardening leave on full pay
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:29 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I get five weeks and as much flexibility and freedom as I want. I had this in the UK too though, but with six weeks vacation.

Anyway - in the RCMP it's easy to accrue extra holiday. Just shag one of the witnesses and reap the rewards of indefinite gardening leave on full pay
i sure hope she was worth it, he's in for a world of pain and may well lose his job.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:35 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
84% of stats are made up on the spot
I employ two statisticians - they are very good - I get the numbers I want when I want them
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
Banned

MrsBritain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 10-4
Hi everyone… my company has given me the opportunities to work and live in Toronto on a fulltime bases. From reading bog’s and books I get the impression that the grass is not a green on the other side as the books make it out to be in Canada. If I decide to go my UK wage would just be turned in to dollars so with the higher living costs it’s a downer. Plus I believe that you only get 2 weeks of optional holiday in Canada were the UK get around 4 weeks.
I still believe this is an opportunity of a lifetime so could any help to say what are the positive sides of moving form the UK to Toronto with my wife and two children (age 4 & 2).
Brits and Canadians speak English, but we don't understand each other if that makes sense.
They have a different lifestyle and sense of humour to us Brits.
It's equally if not more expensive to live in Canada and you HAVE to drive everywhere.
The education system is crap compared to UK. There's no culture, castles, history here. No conversation unless you're into ice hockey!!!
Seriously think about it before the upheaval and separation of families.
The grass is definitely not greener here, just a worse shade.
We're going back after 5 loooong booooring years, been let down so many times by so called "friends".
We can't wait to get back to quaint familiarity and no snow, ice and freezing rain for 5 months of the year.
The terrain in Ontario is the same for miles, no seaside or mountains, hard to get used to, I wish you all the best with your decision.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsBritain
Brits and Canadians speak English, but we don't understand each other if that makes sense.
It's equally if not more expensive to live in Canada and you HAVE to drive everywhere.
The education system is crap compared to UK. There's no culture, castles, history here. No conversation unless you're into ice hockey!!!
We're going back after 5 loooong booooring years, been let down so many times by so called "friends".
We can't wait to get back to quaint familiarity and no snow, ice and freezing rain for 5 months of the year.
The terrain in Ontario is the same for miles, no seaside or mountains, hard to get used to, I wish you all the best with your decision.

this seems so familiar.....
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:06 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Doesn't it just......

Guess the piglet didn't get any roast beef
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But she has a point.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But she has a point.
Agreed. There's parts of Ontario I wouldn't live in either. STill, turning "my crappy part of Ontario " into "The Whole Of Canada" is a massive stretch.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:43 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. There's parts of Ontario I wouldn't live in either. STill, turning "my crappy part of Ontario " into "The Whole Of Canada" is a massive stretch.
Even Ontario is pushing it - I live 10 mins from a beach. OK, it's a lake not the sea, but still, if someone put you there and didn't tell you, you'd never guess it wasn't the see (unless you tasted the water I guess )
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsBritain
Oh, hello Jan. Have you been away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.