Challenging the Steamfitter/pipefitter exam

Wikiposts

Challenging the Steamfitter/pipefitter exam

Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Challenging the Steamfitter/pipefitter exam

Hi all

Have now moved and bought a house in Okotoks, Alberta for the past 2 months, feel very settled , not missing home, the wife is working , I had a job offer before I arrived, the kids are settled in schoole, everything is rosy.......but I have to challenge the exam in less that two weeks!!!

Have bought and studied all the ILM's for the last couple of months, but my trade is a Pipefitter not a Steanfitter and the exam seems bias towards that, and I am a ittle worried that if I don't pass with my two attempts, then what?

Will I have to leave the Country? My work permit is for 6 months, so I have to pass the exam within those 6 months then apply for an extension.

My quetion is, has anyone been in this situation, and not passed the exam within 6 months and if so , what happened from then, don't really want to go hom and drag the kids back to England.

Any help/advice/experience would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by toyer1; Mar 5th 2006 at 2:43 am.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:05 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenging the Steamfitter/pipefitter exam

Originally Posted by toyer1
Hi all

Have now moved and bought a house in Okotoks, Alberta for the past 2 months, feel very settled , not missing home, the wife is working , I had a job offer before I arrived, the kids are settled in schoole, everything is rosy.......but I have to challenge the exam in less that two weeks!!!

Have bought and studied all the ILM's for the last couple of months, but my trade is a Pipefitter not a Steanfitter and the exam seems bias towards that, and I am a ittle worried that if I don't pass with my two attempts, then what?

Will I have to leave the Country? My work permit is for 6 months, so I have to pass the exam within those 6 months then apply for an extension.

My quetion is, has anyone been in this situation, and not passed the exam within 6 months and if so , what happened from then, don't really want to go hom and drag the kids back to England.

Thanks in advance.
stop worrying about the 1st attempt get studying and relax, if you stress out about Failure then you're not helping yourself. What does your work colleagues \ employers say? Can anyone of them help you with the study material? Your employer probably doesn't want to see you leave either so they should be into helping you.

Relax and what steam pressure can a plastic pipe 2 mm pipe hold?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grah
stop worrying about the 1st attempt get studying and relax, if you stress out about Failure then you're not helping yourself. What does your work colleagues \ employers say? Can anyone of them help you with the study material? Your employer probably doesn't want to see you leave either so they should be into helping you.

Relax and what steam pressure can a plastic pipe 2 mm pipe hold?
See I don't know the answer to your question...I need more study!!!

No one I work with has a journeyman's certificate, so have not challenged the exam themselves. Seems a bit strange that I am fully qualified in England , so more qualified than my Canadian colleagues, but I have to sit an exam to work in my trade, but Canadians can work with no qualifications, I thought Canada neede skilled immigrants!!!

I know my position is not unique, but why make it so hard when you first arrive, you have enough trouble settling etc, without this exam hanging over your head!!!

My employer does not want to lose me , so will try all he can to help, but again knows nothing about exam.

Anyhow thanks for the reply
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:31 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

See I don't know the answer to your question...I need more study!!!

No one I work with has a journeyman's certificate, so have not challenged the exam themselves. Seems a bit strange that I am fully qualified in England , so more qualified than my Canadian colleagues, but I have to sit an exam to work in my trade, but Canadians can work with no qualifications, I thought Canada neede skilled immigrants!!!

I know my position is not unique, but why make it so hard when you first arrive, you have enough trouble settling etc, without this exam hanging over your head!!!

My employer does not want to lose me , so will try all he can to help, but again knows nothing about exam.

Ooops sorry I didn't think your would put steam in plastic, I don't know anything about piping

Is this site any good to you?

Trade secrets Alberta
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:48 am
AKA Badger

rod burner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks in advance.
Hi there
I challenged the journeyman exam in welding last november ,just keep reading the moduels and you will be ok,pay attention to the terminology as this may differ from the uk.Good luck .
What is okotoks like?
p.s take a calculator to the exam.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:51 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Ooops sorry I didn't think your would put steam in plastic, I don't know anything about piping
That one even sounded wrong to me - steam in plastic pipe? Maybe I should sit the exams?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Is this site any good to you?

Trade secrets Alberta
Just kidding no steam in plastic pipes ha ha.

Thx for the link, tradesecrets.org.the bane of my life
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:46 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I am in the process of getting my trade of industrial electrician recognised, I failed on my first attempt (by 7 marks) and re sit again on March 20.
The ruling is that if you fail the 2nd time, they ask you to go through a period of upgrading, having spoken to my Apprentice branch, this is a little subjective, as if your province do not offer a course for upgrading then, how can they ask you to? Providing you do not fail badly, you should be able to take it a 3rd time and so on (so I was told).
Remember, it is not a test created for immigrants, you are taking the same test that a 4th level apprentice takes after his 10 weeks of 'off the job schooling', so you are at an instant disadvantage! Your branch must appreciate this. It is a real achievement to pass in our shoes, my advice is get hold of the recommended study books (not cheap) and study as much as you can on the things you feel you are weak on.

Good Luck, it is pretty tough, but I guess it has to be.

I am not sure about your trade, but Electrician is licensed meaning you can only work as either an apprentice or Journeyman (they have outlawed 'helper') something I want to bring up with my branch as this does not consider immigrants who are unable to work, even if they are prepared to Apprentice for a while.

Darren

Hi all

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

maximpouska is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

is this your job?

PLUMBER

Duties
Plumbers plan, install and service plumbing systems, fixtures, piping equipment and controls. These piping systems may be used to transport water, waste, gases or hot liquids.

On a typical construction job, plumbers do the “roughing in” after the frame and roof of a new building are in place. In other words, they:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...cupations.html

maxim
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

I am in the process of getting my trade of industrial electrician recognised, I failed on my first attempt (by 7 marks) and re sit again on March 20.
The ruling is that if you fail the 2nd time, they ask you to go through a period of upgrading, having spoken to my Apprentice branch, this is a little subjective, as if your province do not offer a course for upgrading then, how can they ask you to? Providing you do not fail badly, you should be able to take it a 3rd time and so on (so I was told).
Remember, it is not a test created for immigrants, you are taking the same test that a 4th level apprentice takes after his 10 weeks of 'off the job schooling', so you are at an instant disadvantage! Your branch must appreciate this. It is a real achievement to pass in our shoes, my advice is get hold of the recommended study books (not cheap) and study as much as you can on the things you feel you are weak on.

Good Luck, it is pretty tough, but I guess it has to be.

I am not sure about your trade, but Electrician is licensed meaning you can only work as either an apprentice or Journeyman (they have outlawed 'helper') something I want to bring up with my branch as this does not consider immigrants who are unable to work, even if they are prepared to Apprentice for a while.

Darren
Hi
How do you locate a local electrician Apprentice branch ?
(i.e. one in Vancouver )
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

maximpouska is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

http://www.itabc.ca/apprentices_overview.php

or via
http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/...ip/index_e.asp

go to: pick a carrer

http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/careers/index_e.asp

and then to electrician:

Where to study in Canada
In addition to the Canadian schools listed below, many employer and labour organizations offer training. To find a complete list of schools, check out Related links.

British Columbia:
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Camosun College
College of New Caledonia
North Island College
Northern Lights College
Selkirk College
The University College of the Cariboo
University College of the Fraser Valley

maxim
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maximpouska
Hello

http://www.itabc.ca/apprentices_overview.php

or via
http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/...ip/index_e.asp

go to: pick a carrer

http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/careers/index_e.asp

and then to electrician:

Where to study in Canada
In addition to the Canadian schools listed below, many employer and labour organizations offer training. To find a complete list of schools, check out Related links.

British Columbia:
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Camosun College
College of New Caledonia
North Island College
Northern Lights College
Selkirk College
The University College of the Cariboo
University College of the Fraser Valley

maxim
Hi
Many thanks for the info