Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

a challenge to overcome or a real problem? advice needed please

a challenge to overcome or a real problem? advice needed please

Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:25 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default a challenge to overcome or a real problem? advice needed please

hubby already in vancouver on a BC PNP with TWP at POE....no problems there.....

we're hoping (me and the two kids) to be in vancouver at the end of this month, entering as SOWP off the back of OH TWP and study permits for the kids. PR applied for and still ever hopeful that this might be granted in the next three weeks.......

we've got an offer on the house and hopefully exchanging this week or early part of next week, shippers in on the 26th and we fly out the following weekend!!!! sounds good so far right?.....

question is though, plan B, if it all goes horribly wrong with the sale of the house (no reason to think it will)......can i fly out with 16year old son, him enter on a study permit, me on a visitors permit or activate my SOWP, get him settled into school and be with OH.....and i fly back to the UK to sort out house.......then fly back into canada, me and my daughter at a later date??????

any advice please, very gratefully accepted, as just trying to anticipate how to deal with things if they don't go to plan......
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:11 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a challenge to overcome or a real problem? advice needed please

Back in the day, I recall my work permit had something on the lines of "does not guarantee re-entry" printed on it (implying the possibility of having to re-apply for it if I ever left the country and came back in again).

I'd ask them if that "clause" will apply to you and will be on your work permit - have a chat with immigration when you come over and see what they advise. Possibly just activate his study permit but just enter as a visitor yourself on your first trip over, if so.

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
can i fly out with 16year old son, him enter on a study permit, me on a visitors permit or activate my SOWP, get him settled into school and be with OH.....and i fly back to the UK to sort out house.......then fly back into canada, me and my daughter at a later date??????
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:52 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I didn't understand all the initials (and I've been on this site like for ever), but I think you need to stop over-thinking stuff and wait it out. Looks like things are imminent and that's when the hamsters are at their worst!

Take a chill pill. Sorry if that's not helpful.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Back in the day, I recall my work permit had something on the lines of "does not guarantee re-entry" printed on it (implying the possibility of having to re-apply for it if I ever left the country and came back in again).

I'd ask them if that "clause" will apply to you and will be on your work permit - have a chat with immigration when you come over and see what they advise. Possibly just activate his study permit but just enter as a visitor yourself on your first trip over, if so.
You're right about talking to immigration on arrival.

That clause about not guaranteeing re-entry though.... I had a chat with our lawyers about that, and they seem to think it means that just because you got a TWP once, doesn't mean you'll get it again. You can come and go as you please. I leave Canada a lot, and come back with no problems.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by geedee
You're right about talking to immigration on arrival.

That clause about not guaranteeing re-entry though.... I had a chat with our lawyers about that, and they seem to think it means that just because you got a TWP once, doesn't mean you'll get it again. You can come and go as you please. I leave Canada a lot, and come back with no problems.
Actually the phrases main purposes is to warn non visa exempt workers that the work permit alone will not get them back into Canada (unless they only traveled to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that you could fly with son - both get permits, then fly back with daughter and then get hers

But what do I know???
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding

question is though, plan B, if it all goes horribly wrong with the sale of the house (no reason to think it will)......can i fly out with 16year old son, him enter on a study permit, me on a visitors permit or activate my SOWP, get him settled into school and be with OH.....and i fly back to the UK to sort out house.......then fly back into canada, me and my daughter at a later date??????

any advice please, very gratefully accepted, as just trying to anticipate how to deal with things if they don't go to plan......
Hey

I did this.

Hubby came out in Feb 07 and then I came and brought my daughter - got my SOWP, and kids sorted with school.

Left daughter with hubby to start school whilst me and my son went back to finally pack the house up and then came Aug 07.

One thing that my immigration lawyer did say was to activate your right to the SOWP sooner rather than later.

No probs at all for us

gaynor
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:24 am

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Well, I didn't understand all the initials (and I've been on this site like for ever), but I think you need to stop over-thinking stuff and wait it out. Looks like things are imminent and that's when the hamsters are at their worst!

Take a chill pill. Sorry if that's not helpful.
BC PNP British columbia provincial nominne programme

OH other halve

SOWP spouse open work permit

TWP temporary work permit

POE port of entry

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hey

I did this.

Hubby came out in Feb 07 and then I came and brought my daughter - got my SOWP, and kids sorted with school.

Left daughter with hubby to start school whilst me and my son went back to finally pack the house up and then came Aug 07.

One thing that my immigration lawyer did say was to activate your right to the SOWP sooner rather than later.

No probs at all for us

gaynor
thank you so much for sharing this with me. i am so desperate to get our son into school in canada, as every day spent here is a waste of time, unless we decide to stick it out until may this year for him to take his GCSE's......which will account for very little in canada......so you've put my mind at rest....xx....although, it has gone 'tit's up' on the house front....more on a new thread about that......

as to re-entering numerous times on a TWP, hubby was out in vancouver since november, came home for the xmas week and then flew back new year's day, with no problems at all on re-entering.......