Wikiposts

CF Care

Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:37 am
Just Joined

MattF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CF Care

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with some medical advice as in all honesty I'm at a bit of a loss of where to start.

I'm 28 and work as a skilled software engineer in the UK and am looking to move over to Vancouver to work and possibly emigrate permanently. However I suffer from a genetic medical condition called cystic fibrosis and in the UK I can get my check ups and medicines through the NHS and am just wondering how this would translate if I were to move to Canada?

I was reading some of the other posts and it looks like prescription costs and drugs are generally expensive and am wondering how the medical system works over there. Would it be that the company I work for provide the health care privately and is this something that could work against me when trying to find a job. I really hope I don't fall at the first hurdle as Canada is such an amazing place.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Matt
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CF Care

It might be a possible barrier to immigration, as you can be refused on medical grounds if the examining officer decides that you pose a potential drain on Canadian Health resources .....

There are asthmatics on here who have posted about the costs of their inhalers etc, but I don't think we have yet had a query re CF. Normally if you have medical costs you can claim these back on your tax. However, how much help you get with the upfront costs depends on the provincial system and your income level etc.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:49 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

One of the immigration criteria is the burden an individual would put on the medical system. Excessive burden could result in inadmissibility. This would be your first hurdle.

Upon arrival in BC new residents apply for the Medical Services Plan, they then have to wait for the remainder of the month they arrive and two successive months before it kicks in. Until that point they, or any additional insurance they have arranged would have to cover the cost.

Extended health care from an employer requires MSP coverage and usually only kicks in between 3 to 6 months after the commencement of employment depending on qualifying period. Extended health covers many things (not all) that MSP does not cover. As the employer (sometimes employees pay part) has to pay for this, the higher the level of claims, the higher the premium.

Private health care is not legal on BC.

From an employment perspective an employer cannot discriminate in hiring an employee with a disability provided they are able and qualified to do the job.

The amount of medical expenses that can be claimed as a tax deductible expense is based on a proportion of income, they aren't 100% deductible.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your posts guys..

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know how I would go about having an assessment? Is this something that is done in the UK?

Thanks

Matt
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:51 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need a medical if you are coming on a temporary work permit, except for some occupations (eg in health care).

If you are applying for permanent residency the normal course is that you don't go for your medical until you are instructed to. Then the doctor who examines you is not allowed to judge and tell you what the decision is ... I don't think they can even offer an opinion. They just report on their findings, highlighting any possible concerns, and the decision is made by an adjudicating immigration officer at the CHC.

I don't know if there is anyway around this process. Others might be able to advise you.

Here is a link to the list of designated medical practioners who carry out medicals for Canadian Immigration within the UK. Maybe you might be able to get some idea from one of them as to whether you are likely to be rejected. http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicali...&ProvinceName=

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jun 8th 2008 at 5:57 am.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MattF
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with some medical advice as in all honesty I'm at a bit of a loss of where to start.

I'm 28 and work as a skilled software engineer in the UK and am looking to move over to Vancouver to work and possibly emigrate permanently. However I suffer from a genetic medical condition called cystic fibrosis and in the UK I can get my check ups and medicines through the NHS and am just wondering how this would translate if I were to move to Canada?

I was reading some of the other posts and it looks like prescription costs and drugs are generally expensive and am wondering how the medical system works over there. Would it be that the company I work for provide the health care privately and is this something that could work against me when trying to find a job. I really hope I don't fall at the first hurdle as Canada is such an amazing place.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Matt
I think it will be very difficult for you. The drugs, physio etc are very expensive. You are also probably looking at lung transplant in the future if you haven't been through this already. There is a massive shortage, on our ICU we look after those waiting pre-transplant as they need to be isolated. Unfortuately a lot of them haven't been able to get the lungs. The ICU and transplant costs are phenomenal. Some company policies won't cover pre-existing conditions and if you don't get benefits you probably wouldn't be able to get affordable coverage. Unfortunately CF is a very expensive condition to have and at least you get what you need on the NHS.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:05 am
little snowy owl

OK, coming off the fence I would tend to agree with Gail. I'm sure you are very aware of your condition and the seriousness of it and don't need to be told.

When I was training (Physio) it was a condition that was fatal in childhood, and while things have obviously changed hugely since then it will still be viewed as chronic, progressive and life-shortening.

My honest opinion would be to live where you are able to get health care provided, but this still might not preclude you from working overseas on a temporary basis, and you still have the option of visiting.

Bear in mind that there is a member on this forum, whose daughter was refused on (spurious) medical grounds and then given a ban on even entering Canada as a visitor now. Truly outrageous!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jun 8th 2008 at 7:33 am. Reason: possibly ambiguous.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for you help on this. Luckily I am in great health and am no where near needing a transplant I've never been hospitalised or taken any time off work directly related to my condition and consider myself to be very fortunate but obviously understand how this would be viewed as a potential drain on resource. Will continue to investigate..

All the best

Matt
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:36 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by MattF
Thanks for you help on this. Luckily I am in great health and am no where near needing a transplant I've never been hospitalised or taken any time off work directly related to my condition and consider myself to be very fortunate but obviously understand how this would be viewed as a potential drain on resource. Will continue to investigate..

All the best

Matt
Matt,

Really pleased to hear you are so well .... I just wanted to warn you of possible repercussions if you were rejected on medical grounds. Keepo away from them bugs!