Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Certification for trades - job searching

Certification for trades - job searching

Old May 3rd 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Certification for trades - job searching

OH qualified for industrial electrician or instrument technician, does have an apprenticeship through the Royal Navy with relevant qualifications (he's a marine engineering articifer electronics if this clarifies anything. Have looked at Red Seal and also IQAS. Does he need to do both of these? A lot of jobs are for journeymen, does this mean someone who has an apprenticeship? Also saw a couple who needed to be a journeyman with ticket (its like a different language). Does the ticketed part mean being in a trade union? Does he have to join one first or when he gets a job? So many questions - thought they spoke english over there
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certification for trades - job searching

Originally Posted by MegSnow
Does the ticketed part mean being in a trade union?
No, it means having completed an apprenticeship and certified as a journeyman with a qualification such as Red Seal.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegSnow
OH qualified for industrial electrician or instrument technician, does have an apprenticeship through the Royal Navy with relevant qualifications (he's a marine engineering articifer electronics if this clarifies anything. Have looked at Red Seal and also IQAS. Does he need to do both of these? A lot of jobs are for journeymen, does this mean someone who has an apprenticeship? Also saw a couple who needed to be a journeyman with ticket (its like a different language). Does the ticketed part mean being in a trade union? Does he have to join one first or when he gets a job? So many questions - thought they spoke english over there
Red Seal is not in itself a qualification, it is a national endorsement of the provincial apprenticeship program. A journeyman is someone who has completed an apprenticship, with a red seal endorsement or not. For incoming tradespeople they can challenge the apprenticeship exam by sitting the red seal exam. Provincial apprentices cannot practice their trade in other provinces unless they have red seal endorsement if it is a red seal trade or resit the exam for that province if it is not red seal. 'Ticketed' is for a licensed trade, such as gas fitter for example and the tradesman is qualified in that field, must be provincially qualified, red seal is just an add on for portability if the tradesman want to move to another province and carry on in the same line of work without taking a bunch more exams.

Last edited by Aviator; May 3rd 2010 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:31 am
Just Joined

mulcruf is an unknown quantity at this point

As a qualified electrician in England to an unqualified electrician in Canada, let me share some points I wish I had known about.

I live in Saskatchewan which requires a "Journeyman" certificate. As I live near the border of Alberta many jobs in Alberta require a different qualification and some even require a "Master" electrician rating.

So how do you obtain these? I was informed by the Electrical Contractor's Association of Saskatchewan and a government office who assess international qualifications that I would have to work for a year with a Journeyman as a mate/4th year apprentice. After that time I could then apply for the Journeyman after an assessment/examination.

The drawback here is that while working for that year doing the job of an electrician you will be on a reduced rate.

Find out all the ins an outs before moving here and hitting this potential roadblock.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

MULCRUF - I would contact the examinng body for SK and get them to assess your UK qualifications, to see if they are equivalent to a Canadian apprenticeship.

If they are then you can challenge the journeyman / Red Seal exam straight away (or whenever they book it!)

As you know journeyman qualifies you for the province you took it in, Red Seal is interprovincial.

What you may not know is that if you go straight for the Red Seal exam (pass mark 80% I think) if you fail with more than 75% you get awarded the journeyman anyway. (Or so I believe - I know someone this happened to.)

So to recap, gather together your proof of UK apprenticeship, proof of (its going to be around 4000 hours) time served following apprenticeship, and letters of reference from UK employers confirming your length of time served on the job - and get in touch with the examining body.

If the above is going to prove too much of a pain now you are here, then unfortunately you will have to suck it up and just do your 4th year here and write the exam after that (although do check if you can go straight for the Red Seal)

HTH and good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:18 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=011...b-b03b0c752809
http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...nsing_process/