Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
I think part of the problem in some areas of work is those pesky protectionist unions.

Basically when a job gets advertised externally, the HR people have to consider the internal union applicants before they even see the external applicants list, thus often appointing someone before they even get to the external applicant shortlist.

Seen it happen quite a lot in larger municipal government organizations here.

My pragmatic self says why don't they just always advertise something internally first if its going to go that way anyway then it saves us poor, pesky immigrants all the hope and subsequent angst!
Canada has a unique economy. It is the only country in the World that basically relies on it's mineral wealth for income and is not a third-World country. If you are not employed in this area, then you are dispensable. Relying on resources for income is also a third-World mentality.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Canada has a unique economy. It is the only country in the World that basically relies on it's mineral wealth for income and is not a third-World country. If you are not employed in this area, then you are dispensable. Relying on resources for income is also a third-World mentality.
It's not unique: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_disease
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

But were you looking for employment with the government?
No, with the airlines.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I am not following your post. People who have spent 2 decades in Canada are not "New Canadians" The point I was making was more about ones attitude to the people they are being paid to protect. Your comment about good judgment and knowledge to know who your friends are is the point I am making.
Precisely. The ability to distinguish between who you are protecting and what kind of person/experience/qualifications is an asset in doing so go hand in hand. If you have no clue how to distinguish between who you are protecting, and who you are protecting against, you are stymied from the start. Canadian institutions seem nowadays so blinkered that all they are doing is protecting themselves and ignoring the general population the working majority of which are "New Canadians".
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I can't say I particularly give a shit about Canada or Canadians. I'm not going to think more or less about anyone because of some arbitrary accident of birth - in fact I find the whole concept of where you were born affecting what you can and can't do and where you can and can't go abhorrent.
Abhorrent it is. Sad truth also is that it is widely practised in the new millenium Canada.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not following your post. People who have spent 2 decades in Canada are not "New Canadians" The point I was making was more about ones attitude to the people they are being paid to protect. Your comment about good judgment and knowledge to know who your friends are is the point I am making.
You may have spent 6 decades in Canada, but in today's Canada, if you are'nt born here, you are a new Canadian......unless you are a millionaire!!!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Precisely. The ability to distinguish between who you are protecting and what kind of person/experience/qualifications is an asset in doing so go hand in hand. If you have no clue how to distinguish between who you are protecting, and who you are protecting against, you are stymied from the start. Canadian institutions seem nowadays so blinkered that all they are doing is protecting themselves and ignoring the general population the working majority of which are "New Canadians".
lol

You may have spent 6 decades in Canada, but in today's Canada, if you are'nt born here, you are a new Canadian......unless you are a millionaire!!!
That statement makes no sense. How you fit in is a product of how you feel. What does money or a piece of paper have to do with anything?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Natural resources account for about 6% of GDP and employ 4% of Canadians. The vast majority of the Canadian economy is service oriented.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:56 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Natural resources account for about 6% of GDP and employ 4% of Canadians. The vast majority of the Canadian economy is service oriented.
Quite. That myth about mining persists, despite having been bollocks for years.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of bollocks.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What a load of bollocks.
Tell why.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:40 pm

My kids have been in Canada 15 years, yet were born in the UK. They are in no way British in anything they do, say or behave. We are Canadian in every way, Britain is where I was born , but it is not home. Even when the the kids went to England, they are quite obviously Canadian.

How does being born here may someone more Canadian? A two week old baby vs a 40 year naturalised resident? Who's been a Canadian longer?

How does how much money you have make any difference to how you integrate?

Like I said the comment originally made it absolute rubbish, or do you have something that substantiates such a broad statement?
Old May 18th 2010, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

j23can is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Hello

I wanted to know if any of u knew when the CBSA was hiring for 2010? I have been trying to get that information for a while now, in vain! And the second thing is, is there anyway to study for the test beforehand?

Thanks!
Old May 18th 2010, 10:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by j23can
Hello

I wanted to know if any of u knew when the CBSA was hiring for 2010? I have been trying to get that information for a while now, in vain! And the second thing is, is there anyway to study for the test beforehand?

Thanks!
According to their web page, they are not hiring at the present time.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emplo...ement-eng.html
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by j23can
Hello

Thanks!
if you are 1) a Canadian citizen who is 2) genuinely interested in CBSA opportunities then PM me. I am not in CBSA myself right now but in final stages of process, and can give you some good pointers for preparing for the exam which is the toughest test I ever wrote! I'm not interested in communicating about the other posts on this forum on what is or is not a "new Canadian". I am law enforcement and I am interested in communicating only about law enforcement careers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.