Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
How many of you, especially "recent immigrants", can really and truly say you give a shit about Canada and the people living in it? I see very little evidence of it aside from a few individuals. All I seem to read is how the people born here are of a lessor quality and a sort of "sub species" of humanity. Would a bomb going off in the subway in Toronto really feel the same as the bombs in London? Do you really care about the place and the people? Be honest. Isn't it more or less "this is what I did before so I would like to continue doing it now",,, as if changing retail jobs or something? Don't you think there should be more than a "meh" attitude towards the country when aspiring to work in a security role for said country?

I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone and this is not directed at any individual in particular, but I can certainly understand why people born here would be given the edge over someone who was not born here or who became a citizen after staying here 3 years and getting their "papers" saying they are a now Canadian. Bit more to it than that I'm afraid.

Show me that you care and that you want to play on the team for the teams success and not just your own. Every ex pat from every country living here and their lowly cradle Canadian children deserve your respect before you deserve theirs.
Well not speaking for others of course, but I am an expat and Canadian citizen and consider myself as Canadian as I can get. Yes, I do care about my country. There are 'sub species' everywhere, from what I hear, Britain has more than its fair share.

If immigrants come here and think it is so much better somewhere else, why come here?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Well not speaking for others of course, but I am an expat and Canadian citizen and consider myself as Canadian as I can get. Yes, I do care about my country. There are 'sub species' everywhere, from what I hear, Britain has more than its fair share.

If immigrants come here and think it is so much better somewhere else, why come here?
I realize that the longer someone lives in a particular place the more likely they are to feel "part" of the place and the people, that is only natural. The point I was making was that I understand the reason why it is difficult for a new comer to get access to certain lines of work involving the federal government, especially security related jobs.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lamin
I am still looking at my options for a second career and CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) has been suggested to me. In my line of work I have met a couple and had a quick chat. They all seem very positive has any expats out there joined them or had dealings with them they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.
No chance. Like the OPP, just macho men, usually from the provincial areas. Unless you consider yourself as a minority of course.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 18th 2009 at 3:59 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

I realize that the longer someone lives in a particular place the more likely they are to feel "part" of the place and the people, that is only natural. The point I was making was that I understand the reason why it is difficult for a new comer to get access to certain lines of work involving the federal government, especially security related jobs.
"New Canadians" (even with 2 decades in Canada) with experience have more to offer than Canadians are willing to admit. In the 1950s to 70s Canadians in a position to recruit and hire were willing to acknowledge and accept this fact. Today, Canadians in general look at "New Canadians" as potential competition primarily, and as assets only when there is no choice. As for security concerns: it takes knowledge and good judgement to know who your friends are. It's getting more obvious each day that both are lacking severely in modern recruitment.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
"New Canadians" (even with 2 decades in Canada) with experience have more to offer than Canadians are willing to admit. In the 1950s to 70s Canadians in a position to recruit and hire were willing to acknowledge and accept this fact. Today, Canadians in general look at "New Canadians" as potential competition primarily, and as assets only when there is no choice. As for security concerns: it takes knowledge and good judgement to know who your friends are. It's getting more obvious each day that both are lacking severely in modern recruitment.
Good post. My sentinments exactly. Now let's talk about the nepotism in these fields.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 18th 2009 at 3:56 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We hire purely on ability to do the job and have as many failures with immigrants as Canadians. I never came across this 'Canadian' only hiring practice. Quite to the contrary, when I was looking for work, my overseas experience was a distinct asset.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
We hire purely on ability to do the job and have as many failures with immigrants as Canadians. I never came across this 'Canadian' only hiring practice. Quite to the contrary, when I was looking for work, my overseas experience was a distinct asset.
But were you looking for employment with the government?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:08 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you, especially "recent immigrants", can really and truly say you give a shit about Canada and the people living in it? I see very little evidence of it aside from a few individuals. All I seem to read is how the people born here are of a lessor quality and a sort of "sub species" of humanity. Would a bomb going off in the subway in Toronto really feel the same as the bombs in London? Do you really care about the place and the people? Be honest. Isn't it more or less "this is what I did before so I would like to continue doing it now",,, as if changing retail jobs or something? Don't you think there should be more than a "meh" attitude towards the country when aspiring to work in a security role for said country?

I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone and this is not directed at any individual in particular, but I can certainly understand why people born here would be given the edge over someone who was not born here or who became a citizen after staying here 3 years and getting their "papers" saying they are a now Canadian. Bit more to it than that I'm afraid.

Show me that you care and that you want to play on the team for the teams success and not just your own. Every ex pat from every country living here and their lowly cradle Canadian children deserve your respect before you deserve theirs.
I can't say I particularly give a shit about Canada or Canadians. I'm not going to think more or less about anyone because of some arbitrary accident of birth - in fact I find the whole concept of where you were born affecting what you can and can't do and where you can and can't go abhorrent.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:12 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

"New Canadians" (even with 2 decades in Canada) with experience have more to offer than Canadians are willing to admit. In the 1950s to 70s Canadians in a position to recruit and hire were willing to acknowledge and accept this fact. Today, Canadians in general look at "New Canadians" as potential competition primarily, and as assets only when there is no choice. As for security concerns: it takes knowledge and good judgment to know who your friends are. It's getting more obvious each day that both are lacking severely in modern recruitment.
I am not following your post. People who have spent 2 decades in Canada are not "New Canadians" The point I was making was more about ones attitude to the people they are being paid to protect. Your comment about good judgment and knowledge to know who your friends are is the point I am making.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Oct 18th 2009 at 4:30 am. Reason: I better fix the typos
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Troll

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I can't say I particularly give a shit about Canada or Canadians. I'm not going to think more or less about anyone because of some arbitrary accident of birth - in fact I find the whole concept of where you were born affecting what you can and can't do and where you can and can't go abhorrent.
The swish sound you heard was my point flying over your head. Part of doing a good job is wanting to do a good job, if you don't care, well,,,
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not following your post. People who have spent 2 decades in Canada are not "New Canadians" The point I was making was more about ones attitude to the people they are being paid to protect. You comment about good judgment and knowledge to know who your friends are is my point I am making.
There are some in the UK who would say even the second or third generation weren't truly british.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:15 am

The swish sound you head was my point flying over your head.
It didn't. I just ignored it and made my own ranty point instead.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Troll

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It didn't. I just ignored it and made my own ranty point instead.
fair enough, the anti establishment type, I am sympathetic. Down with the borders? Maybe some day in the future when all humanity respects each other equally. Of course then you could have the one world government to worry about,... complicated,..

Last edited by Lord Vader; Oct 18th 2009 at 4:22 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I am not following your post. People who have spent 2 decades in Canada are not "New Canadians" The point I was making was more about ones attitude to the people they are being paid to protect. Your comment about good judgment and knowledge to know who your friends are is the point I am making.
I think this depends on what age you came here. The younger you are, the easier it is to adapt. Also, let's not forget, living in a different country at some point in your life is a great experience. It is not for everyone but at least if you return to the UK, you have at least made the effort.

What amazes me is that most nations, when they are abroad, they tend to support one another, but not the Brits. Maybe it is the Celtic blood, maybe we are too independent?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:12 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the problem in some areas of work is those pesky protectionist unions.

Basically when a job gets advertised externally, the HR people have to consider the internal union applicants before they even see the external applicants list, thus often appointing someone before they even get to the external applicant shortlist.

Seen it happen quite a lot in larger municipal government organizations here.

My pragmatic self says why don't they just always advertise something internally first if its going to go that way anyway then it saves us poor, pesky immigrants all the hope and subsequent angst!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.