Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBSA (Border Customs) Has anybody joined them

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I tend to agree with you on this point.

Way back in 1972 when I was going through the process of getting hired to be an Air Traffic Controller (a position that required the signing of the official secrets act), it was made abundantly clear that I stood no chance if I was not a Canadian citizen.
That "them and us" position persists. When I worked for the CHC, I had a security clearance. I could have had a "secret" clearance. No way was I going to get the "Canadian eyes only" clearance.

That always amused me. Several of the Canadians there had very high clearances (well above what I mentioned in the last para). They were some of the dodgiest, most unreliable people you can imagine. But they were cradle Canadian and thus to be trusted.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
That "them and us" position persists. When I worked for the CHC, I had a security clearance. I could have had a "secret" clearance. No way was I going to get the "Canadian eyes only" clearance.

That always amused me. Several of the Canadians there had very high clearances (well above what I mentioned in the last para). They were some of the dodgiest, most unreliable people you can imagine. But they were cradle Canadian and thus to be trusted.
The forms I had to fill out for the security check were interesting to say the least.

Addresses for the previous 15 years, names and current addresses for all living relatives, reason for death of any deceased close relatives, all locations of schools and educational institutions, all employment, etc etc. The RCMP did the checks back then I imagine it's CSIS today. If they still do it seeing as ATC is now private corp.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I am afraid that this is reality we might get some security clearance but we will never be fully trusted and will always be viewed as a potential risk. All countries are the same
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dinger24
I am afraid that this is reality we might get some security clearance but we will never be fully trusted and will always be viewed as a potential risk. All countries are the same
It does change with citizenship.
For some at least.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It does change with citizenship.
For some at least.
You mean white?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy
You mean white?
Unfortunately yes. I think.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lamin
I am still looking at my options for a second career and CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) has been suggested to me. In my line of work I have met a couple and had a quick chat. They all seem very positive has any expats out there joined them or had dealings with them they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.
Forget it unless you have your citizenship. Had previous 15 year Customs career in the UK and made contact with the Pacific Region recruitment team once we moved across. Discussed requirements (including my PR status and my colourblindness) and told there would be no problem with my application. Invited down to tour round Vancouver airport and meet the head of recruitment. Flew down from the BC Interior at my own expense and spent an interesting day behind the scenes. Again discussed all the requirements and encouraged to submit my application, which I did on my return home. Then heard nothing. When I eventually contacted the recruitment team and they contacted Ottawa to see what the hold up was, it transpired that my application had been put to the side as I was not a citizen. (Typical that no-one in Ottawa thought to actually inform me of this). This news came as a shock to the Pacific Region recruitment team, but they told me not to give up hope as they hoped for a change of policy because they did not have applications from Canadian Citizens in BC with my experience. That was nearly 2 years ago. I even contacted the local MP to see if he could help with this red tape hold up in Ottawa but all this did was get everyone, including the Pacific Region recruitment team to close ranks and quote the party line - that preference is given to Canadian citizens. I told them that I did not have an issue with this policy in general, but did have an issue being encouraged to apply when the recruitment team knew my status and also being told that they had a lack of suitable Canadian citizen appicants in this region, but still wouldn't consider my application. Their response - get my citizenship and then re-apply. Made me question whether I really want to work for an organization like this. I know the Civil Service in the UK has a reputation but I was never treated like this in my previous UK career.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You might get in, but preference is given to CDN citizens.
Its just a nice way to say you can apply but dont expect to get a job.

Here is the preferances the government uses when hiring.

In an advertised external appointment process, organizations governed by the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA) need to give preference for appointment, to those who meet the essential qualifications, in the following order:

1.A person in receipt of a pension by reason of war service;
2.A veteran or a survivor of a veteran;
3.A Canadian citizen; and
4.Persons not belonging to the previous groups.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 17th 2009 at 2:46 am.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its just a nice way to say you can apply but dont expect to get a job.

Here is the preferances the government uses when hiring.

In an advertised external appointment process, organizations governed by the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA) need to give preference for appointment, to those who meet the essential qualifications, in the following order:

1.A person in receipt of a pension by reason of war service;
2.A veteran or a survivor of a veteran;
3.A Canadian citizen; and
4.Persons not belonging to the previous groups.
In many posts is seems there is outwardly open competition (to go through the motions), but the job has already been assigned to someone a government employee.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

In many posts is seems there is outwardly open competition (to go through the motions), but the job has already been assigned to someone a government employee.
Actually there are 2 types of competitions, open where the public can apply but employees of the department can apply as well, so they would have a leg up on the knowledge part of the exam. Closed only open to employees of the government.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Actually there are 2 types of competitions, open where the public can apply but employees of the department can apply as well, so they would have a leg up on the knowledge part of the exam. Closed only open to employees of the government.
From my experience even the open competition is only going through the motions.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Although CBSA jobs are open to permanent residents the fact that they give preference to Canadian citizens seems to me indicative that you would struggle to get a job with them. My wife and I have a combined experience of twenty years as both Immigration and Customs officers. We have both applied for jobs with CBSA and are in the "inventory" but that has been for over a year now with no contact. We have probably dealt with far more counterfeit docs and dodgy immigrants than most CBSA employees will see in their entire careers. We have also applied for numerous Federal jobs, even those involving the Canadian passport agency. Since we have handled more passports than most people have had hot dinners you would think we would at least get an interview. However our "experience" apparently doesn't qualify us. I think they are short sighted, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Selsame
Although CBSA jobs are open to permanent residents the fact that they give preference to Canadian citizens seems to me indicative that you would struggle to get a job with them. My wife and I have a combined experience of twenty years as both Immigration and Customs officers. We have both applied for jobs with CBSA and are in the "inventory" but that has been for over a year now with no contact. We have probably dealt with far more counterfeit docs and dodgy immigrants than most CBSA employees will see in their entire careers. We have also applied for numerous Federal jobs, even those involving the Canadian passport agency. Since we have handled more passports than most people have had hot dinners you would think we would at least get an interview. However our "experience" apparently doesn't qualify us. I think they are short sighted, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.
Don't start me off .....
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience even the open competition is only going through the motions.
Pretty much.

And how many people are related to one another and all working for the federal government, sometimes it seems you need to know someone to get in.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you, especially "recent immigrants", can really and truly say you give a shit about Canada and the people living in it? I see very little evidence of it aside from a few individuals. All I seem to read is how the people born here are of a lessor quality and a sort of "sub species" of humanity. Would a bomb going off in the subway in Toronto really feel the same as the bombs in London? Do you really care about the place and the people? Be honest. Isn't it more or less "this is what I did before so I would like to continue doing it now",,, as if changing retail jobs or something? Don't you think there should be more than a "meh" attitude towards the country when aspiring to work in a security role for said country?

I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone and this is not directed at any individual in particular, but I can certainly understand why people born here would be given the edge over someone who was not born here or who became a citizen after staying here 3 years and getting their "papers" saying they are a now Canadian. Bit more to it than that I'm afraid.

Show me that you care and that you want to play on the team for the teams success and not just your own. Every ex pat from every country living here and their lowly cradle Canadian children deserve your respect before you deserve theirs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.