Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cats from the UK to Canada - how have they adapted ?

Cats from the UK to Canada - how have they adapted ?

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cats from the UK to Canada - how have they adapted ?

Hi,

We're bringing our two cats with us from Scotland to Vancouver and I was wondering if anyone else has already done this ? If so, how did they adapt ? Is there anything we should look out for ?We've heard some scare stories about cats being eaten by Coyotes but is this genuine ? Is it the done thing to let cats out on their own with access to the house via catflaps or are they more 'house cats' ?

Thanks cat lovers !
Old Feb 4th 2003, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

ngoodlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cats from the UK to Canada - how have they adapted ?

Hi Ian,
I had the same concerns too. My cats are still in Scotland and I am in Vancouver. The thing to watch out for in Vancouver is that if you are renting, only 5% of buildings/houses etc allow pets. I'm quite lucky that the place I wanted allows pets, the only problem is I live on a busy street so wouldn't be able to let them out. Also if you are renting you may be asked for an extra damage deposit for the cats.

Coyotes are more of a problem in the suburbs and only when they don't have any food. I haven't heard of anything in Vancouver, although I've been told they do wander residential neighbourhoods in Calgary.

I've seen many cats out in the streets here, so letting them out shouldn't be a problem. Although I was quite shocked to hear Calgary had a bylaw which says cats are not permitted outdoors.

I've had different opinions about keeping outdoor cats indoors - my vet told me if they are young and used to being outdoors they won't adjust too well to being kept indoors. However if you're cats are quite happy to stay inside, or are old, then there shouldn't be a problem.

How are you transporting your cats to Vancouver? Will they be on the same flight with you? Mine will be coming over with my boyfriend sometime after the summer, so we have some time to get things sorted out.

All the best!

Originally posted by iancurtis
Hi,

We're bringing our two cats with us from Scotland to Vancouver and I was wondering if anyone else has already done this ? If so, how did they adapt ? Is there anything we should look out for ?We've heard some scare stories about cats being eaten by Coyotes but is this genuine ? Is it the done thing to let cats out on their own with access to the house via catflaps or are they more 'house cats' ?

Thanks cat lovers !
Old Feb 4th 2003, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough

I would watch were you live, about letting your cats out. We have a house cat, since it gets to cold in the winter here (Ontario, last week it was -26). He got out two months ago, he got out 5:30pm, some called animal aid at 5:45 the same day.

I went looking for him the next day, he had only been out for the night, I found out that it is against the by-laws of the town to let cats out. I had to go get him from animal aid, it cost me $80 to get him back out.

It scared him being there, that he hasn't been the same since. So look into the by-laws, because their will always be a neighbor that will call the by-law enforcers on you.