Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Old May 4th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Hi

There seems to be a recieved wisdom that the Catholic public shcools are 'better' than the non-catholic ones. Even the lady in the bank said she thought so! However, don't seem to be able to elucidate why!!

Can anyone tell me the key differences... Are they stronger academically? Do they offer more options to the child? or is it just a snob thing?

My husband is Catholic (pretty lapsed however!) so our kids would/could be eligible.

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Snowqueen
Old May 4th 2006, 8:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

In one word...discipline.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:12 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have my elementary age kids in Catholic school. Discipline is the key reason they are in there, less opportunity to run with the bad crowd, safer environment (smaller school, many parishioners know me due to work and the church...etc.). My kids are thriving on a more challenging curriculum, the teachers actually teach rather than do the bare minimum under the Union contract and Kindergarten is full days!!! Helps with work as this 2.5 hr day public school thing is bloody ridiculous for working parents.

Your kids need to be baptized to get the cheapest rate of fees and if you volunteer either in the church or at the school that goes toward the fee rate you get. I would never put any of my younger kids back in the public system here in BC. The elder ones (Junior High and Grade 11) have no choice but to suffer the local school district standards. The eldest one is graduating A honours with not much effort, the next kid down (12) put the "Z" in lazy but still gets B level reports for work I think I was doing when I was seven years old.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
In one word...discipline.
Hopefull not of the ruler over the knuckles/twisting ears variety!
However, that gets my vote otherwise!

How much of the school ethos is religion based? Personally, as my kids are in a church school at the moment I'm quite happy for it to continue (to a degree) but I would guess that there is actually very little in Canadian public schools, Catholic or otherwise - would I guess right?

Thanks
Snowqueen
Old May 4th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowqueen

How much of the school ethos is religion based? Personally, as my kids are in a church school at the moment I'm quite happy for it to continue (to a degree) but I would guess that there is actually very little in Canadian public schools, Catholic or otherwise - would I guess right?

Thanks
Snowqueen
Is there Catholic public schools in Toronto?
How difficult is to enroll a kid in a Catholic public school compare with a non-catholic one?
How much does it cost a Catholic private school in Toronto?
Old May 4th 2006, 10:24 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Snowqueen
It's a significant part of the school philosophy at the Catholic school my kids go to. The public school system in my school district is still very Christian based, not Catholic for sure, but definitely Christian.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:25 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Snowqueen
Well here in BC it is very multicultural, so there is religion - all of them (But the holidays are still structured around the Christian holidays)

If you want a church school you are looking at paying fees and doing it privately. I still regret I did not do that with my son. He would already be learning French etc which he will not do until Grade 4
Old May 4th 2006, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
When we moved out to Canada both our girls went into Catholic public schools, i was very impressed with the curriculum and discipline, we thought it best to keep them within the learning system that they we're accustomed to in the UK, luckily they both settled straight in which i firmly believe was down to the daily structure
we we're told we had to pay for them to attend catholic school in Canada and to be truthful i was quite worried about it, as it happened the yearly charges where a very reasonable $60

the curriculum is very similar structure now back in the UK, once again discipline is high on the agenda, My eldest daughter takes GCSES next week, and both schools have liaised as to what she will need to revise on
I don't feel she would have been given the attention if she had returned to a non catholic school, the catholic teachers in both countries we're very committed to school and students, and where always willing to give extra time
But thats just my opinion
Old May 5th 2006, 4:27 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

another thought - the teachers are not unionised, so when the next BC teachers strike happens they will be be working.

Yes, discipline is a big thing with them, and more homework.

Clare
Old May 5th 2006, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eferreira
Is there Catholic public schools in Toronto?
Yes. Lots. There are four types of state funded school, Catholic and other, each in English and French.

How difficult is to enroll a kid in a Catholic public school compare with a non-catholic one?
About the same. You just have to show that your property taxes go to the Catholic board and that the child has been baptised.

How much does it cost a Catholic private school in Toronto?
It's free. Catholics are subject to positive discrimination policies in Ontario.
Old May 5th 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes. Lots. There are four types of state funded school, Catholic and other, each in English and French.

About the same. You just have to show that your property taxes go to the Catholic board and that the child has been baptised.

It's free. Catholics are subject to positive discrimination policies in Ontario.
Thank you for your answers.
It is good to know that.
Best regards,
Old May 5th 2006, 2:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show that God is on our side

Actually its a throwback to the days when politicians in Ontario gave a shit about the sensibilities of the Quebecous faction, who historically were mostly RC. The catholic board I'm told was a result of protecting the French Catholic tradition? I dunno, the OH has a masters in history and thats what she told me...but shes the catholic one in our household, so maybe thats just the party line.

Personally I dont quite know how to justify this, but Im glad its there as our kids will benefit (I hope). I dont care for the micro skirt uniform for the girls at all though.

Last edited by iaink; May 5th 2006 at 2:59 pm.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:52 pm
Cynically amused.

Really? I have to pay here - approximately $300 a month for two kids plus transport. It was about $400 and something for three, plus transport. I know the family rate is capped at $480 a month (anything over three kids). Another jolly good reason to move to Ontario.....
Old May 5th 2006, 4:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Really? I have to pay here - approximately $300 a month for two kids plus transport. It was about $400 and something for three, plus transport. I know the family rate is capped at $480 a month (anything over three kids). Another jolly good reason to move to Ontario.....
Yes, it's free. All of my children went to French language Catholic middle school, one went briefly to a English language Catholic high school before switching to the secular French language high school where the second one went. The third one attends a Catholic high school which is a hour from where she lives, there's no bus so the school board pays for a taxi. I think it would be fair to say that the French language Catholic school board is awash with money, which is in marked contrast to the other three school systems.

It can be competitive to get the first child into certain Catholic schools though, we camped out for the whole weekend before registration day.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Personally I dont quite know how to justify this
It's not justifiable, it's overt discrimination on the grounds of religion and makes a mockery of that charter of rights and wossnames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.