Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cashing in final salary pension.

Cashing in final salary pension.

Old Feb 10th 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Re: Cashing in final salary pension.

Are you 100% sure about this, I’ve spent many $1,000s trying to get a definitive answer on this and no one can provide it.

Rest assured if the CRA can get their filthy hands on 40% of your transferred pension they will (unless you’re a liberal MP that is).

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
Contrary to what some people say there is no Canadian CRA involvement until you actually start drawing money from the pension, whether it's still with the company or whether it has been transferred to a SIPP. The transfer of the UK Company pension into a UK SIPP has nothing at all to do with the CRA, unless you elect to take a cash option along with the transfer or you decide to start making withdrawals straight away.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
Are you 100% sure about this, I’ve spent many $1,000s trying to get a definitive answer on this and no one can provide it.

Rest assured if the CRA can get their filthy hands on 40% of your transferred pension they will (unless you’re a liberal MP that is).
There is no difference between having it in the UK Company Pension or SIPP than having it in an RRSP in Canada in that until you draw money from it, it is tax exempt. Once you draw money from it then it becomes income and you have to declare it, and pay any due taxes.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

There is no difference between having it in the UK Company Pension or SIPP than having it in an RRSP in Canada in that until you draw money from it, it is tax exempt. Once you draw money from it then it becomes income and you have to declare it, and pay any due taxes.
Yes, that’s what common sense says and exactly how I see it, but not necessarily how the CRA will interpret it, trust me I’ve spent a lot of time and money looking into this, it’s not as cut and dry as you may think.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’d be interested in knowing what FA in the UK you are using, the people I dealt with were not willing to recommend a transfer due to potential Canadian tax implications, £2k down the drain there! PM me if you like.

Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
That’s encouraging to read re moving from a final salary pension to a SIPP. When I have some feedback from my advisor I will post here. He has clients who have done this in Canada with no issues but for my piece of mind he was going to confirm it .
Please provide feedback when you hear from your FA, I’d be interested to hear his opinion. My take on this so far is that everyone has a slightly different opinion, there is no definitive answer.

It all comes down to are you prepared to take the risk and potentially be hit with a huge tax bill from CRA??
Old Feb 12th 2018, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

A further update I have just had the CRA phone me up. The guy had talked to his superiors he told me that as long as it is only a switch of a UK Company pension plan into a UK SIPP, and I am not taking any money from it, then there is no tax implications or paperwork required to be filled in in Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

A further update I have just had the CRA phone me up. The guy had talked to his superiors he told me that as long as it is only a switch of a UK Company pension plan into a UK SIPP, and I am not taking any money from it, then there is no tax implications or paperwork required to be filled in in Canada.
That’s what the CRA told us, however we were then advised that the CRA are simply interpreting Canadian Tax Law, and could well be wrong. They would be well within their rights to come after you at a later date.

Were they prepared to put this in writing?