Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Case for Emigration

The Case for Emigration

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Case for Emigration

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, her accent (although dulled by exposure to other accents and by time) was immediately recognisable as being from County Durham, at least by a geordie like me.
Yesterday was the first time I'd heard her speak but I didn't need her words about her background to know her origins.

Canny lass, local hero too.
Her testimony epitomised integrity, mastery and steadfastness. She's my hero as well, and that of countless others I'd say.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Her testimony epitomised integrity, mastery and steadfastness. She's my hero as well, and that of countless others I'd say.
Fiona for POTUS!!! You heard it first here.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

SHOW ME HER BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

As a British born dual citizen is she eligible? I would imagine that given her literary and career history Putin was putting pressure on Trump to get rid of her for some time.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
As a British born dual citizen is she eligible? I would imagine that given her literary and career history Putin was putting pressure on Trump to get rid of her for some time.
Spoilsport. How about VP to Elizabeth Warren?
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
'“Years later, I can say with confidence that this country has offered for me opportunities I never would have had in England,” Hill testified. “I grew up poor with a very distinctive working-class accent.”'

That's it, innit? If you're in the UK and you have an affluent background, you have no reason to leave. You're not going to be richer here and your children are not going to be better educated. There's no more outdoors here than there.

It's not that abroad has a "pull" just that, by circumstance, your opportunities are limited where you are so you gotta go.
It was definitely the opportunities offered by Australia than caused scouse and his first wife (dec) to move. The unemployment rate in Liverpool was sky high in the late 1980s, there just weren't enough jobs to go around. Previously scouse worked as a pipefitter wherever the jobs were, Germany mostly but a couple of other countries in Europe and the occasional job in London. But even that work was drying up, and that's when he and his wife had their 'gotta go' moment.

He knew a few pipefitting mates who'd emigrated to Western Australia and had gained employment in off shore oil and gas rigs.
It worked out well for him, off shore work pays well and he's probably the hardest working person I've ever met. He and his wife got a lovely house and his boys had an excellent education. They never regretted the move.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Previously scouse worked as a pipefitter wherever the jobs were, Germany mostly...
Which one was he?

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Which one was he?

We have the entire set of Auf Wiedersehen Pet on DVD, very enjoyable to watch and he said so much of it is spot on. I didn't know him in his younger days, but the scouse I know would be most like Dennis, the sensible and dependable one
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:56 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Which one was he?

What a blast from the past. I loved that show.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am, of course, blessed with remarkable beauty. But success in life is primarily a function of having chosen one's parents well and then it's a matter of luck. Working hard helps, of course, but it's peculiarly vain to think that, if one has had success, it is because one deserves it.
You may be one of the few people I have come across who have this opinion. It's refreshing to see someone recognize success is really a mix of things.

As for immigration, it was never on the radar for me at any-point in my life and just sorta happened, was certainly never anything that ever crossed my mind, heck I had never even thought of visiting Canada, I of course knew Canada existed, but I never had any desire to visit.

Only country I ever really had an interest in was Australia and I am not sure why, if I had been from a country who well was more into working holiday visa scheme, I may have tried it out, but I had no idea such things even existed until too late in life.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Exactly the joy of moving to North America. Suddenly people think you sound like the Queen, even if you sound like Fiona Hill.
When my family met my Middlesbrough born husband one of my sisters remarked "Ooh listen to his accent. Isn't it nice?!" 😯
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:16 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: The Case for Emigration

DBD has it. After working for 5 years in the east end, I took the opportunity of university to take the edge off the cockney accent, and when I went back dahn sarf, even though I was living in the same areas, never really slipped back.

A few years later (~30?) i was consoling a fellow "young buck" at the engineering consultancy I was working in, who was lamenting he was never gonna get nowhere with his accent, pointing out that all the partners were proper posh. I didn't tell him I'd changed mine, just filled him up with beer and got him on his train back to Essex. But he was right... and so was Ms Hill.

'“Years later, I can say with confidence that this country has offered for me opportunities I never would have had in England,” Hill testified. “I grew up poor with a very distinctive working-class accent.”'

That's it, innit? If you're in the UK and you have an affluent background, you have no reason to leave. You're not going to be richer here and your children are not going to be better educated. There's no more outdoors here than there.

It's not that abroad has a "pull" just that, by circumstance, your opportunities are limited where you are so you gotta go.
Ha! Exactly the joy of moving to North America. Suddenly people think you sound like the Queen, even if you sound like Fiona Hill.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 5:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I was accustomed in Nando's Markham recently by a South African woman obsessed with my "Australian" accent. She wanted to know how often I made it "home" and everything.

At least at Hooters people know how to behave.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw a snippet of Fiona Hill's statement. Didn't detect any Northern dialect until about the third second of her speech. She makes the comment that America offered her opportunity that would be impossible by someone of her class in the UK, but she neglects the fact that she was a Harvard scholar (so bright and educated) and had she gone to Oxbridge or even returned after Harvard, she would stand out from her coal mining chums, and probably have done equally well.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Just saw a snippet of Fiona Hill's statement. Didn't detect any Northern dialect until about the third second of her speech. She makes the comment that America offered her opportunity that would be impossible by someone of her class in the UK, but she neglects the fact that she was a Harvard scholar (so bright and educated) and had she gone to Oxbridge or even returned after Harvard, she would stand out from her coal mining chums, and probably have done equally well.
"I applied to Oxford in the '80s and was invited to an interview. It was like a scene from Billy Elliot: people were making fun of me for my accent and the way I was dressed. It was the most embarrassing, awful experience I had ever had in my life."

An American professor encouraged Hill to apply for a graduate program in the U.S.

Wiki.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.