Cars and Tax

Old Mar 19th 2014, 2:14 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars and Tax

I have a car that i use for work so forms part of my tax claim ie depereciation, interest on finance and running cost etc..now it looks like i will be returning to the UK for good in May..now if i hand back the car and the value of the car is less than the outstanding finance can i claim this loss on my 2014 tax return?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars and Tax

Unfortunately not. However if the amount you get for the tax is less than the tax written down amount you could claim a terminal loss.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:39 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Unfortunately not. However if the amount you get for the tax is less than the tax written down amount you could claim a terminal loss.
Do you mean any tax rebate i would get on the car is less than what i would lose i can claim the difference?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

For tax purposes you depreciate the car each year. The rate is 15% for the year you bought it and 30% per year afterwards on a declining balance basis. If you use your vehicle 50% for business you deduct 50% of the depreciation from your taxable income.

Say yuo paid $40,000 for the vehicle. The maximum cost you can depreciate is $30,000 + tax so in Alberta $31,500. In year one the depreciation is $4,725, in year 2 $8,032.50 so at the end of year 2 the tax written down value is $18742.50 (31500-4725-8032.50). If you sold it for $15,000 in year 3 you will have a terminal loss of $3,742.50 and yoo can deduct half of this from income. If you sold it for $20,000 you would have a recapture of $1,257.50 and have to add half of this back into income.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4044/t4044-13e.pdf

Chapter 8 onwards.