Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Carry on Driving!!!

Wikiposts

Carry on Driving!!!

Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:00 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carry on Driving!!!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If in BC and don't get any of the discounts, you may not pay 4,000 but it will probably be pretty steep, ICBC's base rates without a discount tend to be high. Back in 2008 for a 2005 Sunfire before I had any discounts, I was paying just under 3,000 a year, 2,800 something.
I'm hoping to get a little run around that is economical and isn't a truck. The problem is a lot of the jobs I am looking at require transport so as much as I don't want a car I may not have any choice.

From what I understand though is it's the car that gets insured - not the person?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You pay $3400k a year in insurance alone and think that's a bargain?!

Plenty of cars are tax free in the UK, MOT is only £30 a year, and my insurance is around £180 a year. So I'd say it's rip off Canada when it comes to motoring, not rip off Britain.
Break it down , 2 x gas guzzling V8's plus a teenager in a Subaru , price it out in Britain ? Haha , when was the last time an MOT cost you 30 quid ?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Break it down , 2 x gas guzzling V8's plus a teenager in a Subaru , price it out in Britain ? Haha , when was the last time an MOT cost you 30 quid ?
$1400 for an 18 year old driving anything is really cheap, who is your insurer and which Province are you in? My son is 19, has had a license since he was 16, has done the driver's ed, has no tickets or claims and the absolute cheapest we can find is $3400. It cost more than $1400 just to add him as an occasional driver to our cars.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
$1400 for an 18 year old driving anything is really cheap, who is your insurer and which Province are you in? My son is 19, has had a license since he was 16, has done the driver's ed, has no tickets or claims and the absolute cheapest we can find is $3400. It cost more than $1400 just to add him as an occasional driver to our cars.
SK , government run insurance SGI.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I'm hoping to get a little run around that is economical and isn't a truck. The problem is a lot of the jobs I am looking at require transport so as much as I don't want a car I may not have any choice.

From what I understand though is it's the car that gets insured - not the person?
We would rather not have a car as well considering how much it costs to have one, but the province outside of Vancouver region has crappy to non-existent transit so a car is pretty much mandatory outside of Vancouver region. But even in Vancouver if one does shift work, transit may not be of use if you have an early start time.

According to ICBC this is how they determine the rates charged.

1. How you use your vehicle (pleasure, commute, business etc.)

2. Where you live. ( They divide the province into different regions based on risk.)

3. Claims history

4. Level of protection (more cover will obviously cost more then the basic min required by law which is not sufficient protection.)

5. Deductible (lower the deductible the higher the premium)

6. Age and type of vehicle.

They do provide claims free discounts, which saves you a substantial amount, for instance my girlfriend (we have 1 car and its in her name) gets a 40% claims free discount, so it shaves of a good chunk off what we pay.

What affects your premiums?

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Documents/crs.pdf

Insurance discount for new residents

We can't even get a rate of 1,400 a year for insurance and we have the max discount for good driving to boot which is 40% and have been driving now for 16 and 17 years.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 16th 2014 at 6:39 am.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

SK , government run insurance SGI.
Oh right, probably not worth the commute just for cheaper insurance, but you guys are really lucky.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

About two months ago. Total annual cost, excluding gas, for us to run 3 cars including a Land Rover and a sports car - £850.

If you really think nearly $3500 a year just in insurance is a good deal then I think it's safe to say you've well and truly assimilated.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We're paying $2800 for a gas guzzling V8 truck and a sensible car (mine!). That's with hubby having two traffic violations and me none!! We've been here 3 years and are about an hour north of Toronto...
We too must have been assimilated as all things considered it's not too bad!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Oh right, probably not worth the commute just for cheaper insurance, but you guys are really lucky.
We are only paying $960 for our 16 yr old who just got his license in April. The car is a 2008 Mazda but we are only paying for PL and PD. It would have been $1400 or so for full insurance.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

The policy is for the car, typically it covers any driver of that car, but the price is based on the drivers in the household. Where people new to Canada get hammered is on credit rating, immigrants tend not to have a good credit rating (if any) and it's a factor in determining premiums.

We currently pay $600/month for two drivers and two vehicles but, since this has been a year with three collisions, and the usual number of tickets, the coming year will be a great deal more expensive.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The policy is for the car, typically it covers any driver of that car, but the price is based on the drivers in the household. Where people new to Canada get hammered is on credit rating, immigrants tend not to have a good credit rating (if any) and it's a factor in determining premiums.

We currently pay $600/month for two drivers and two vehicles but, since this has been a year with three collisions, and the usual number of tickets, the coming year will be a great deal more expensive.
Speeding in the new mustang, eh?
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

And $600 a month?! That's how much i'd pay for a year in Malta with no NCD...........
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:53 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That why I'm planning in getting a secured credit card which will boost my credit rating = cheaper car insurance (hopefully)

I can't understand how new immigrants get a bad credit rating when they have only just arrived - it should no credit rating.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That still seems a lot... hubby has two speeding fines and we have only been here 3 years and yet for both cars it works out at $240 per month... Are you with the facility by any chance?
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gozit
And $600 a month?! That's how much i'd pay for a year in Malta with no NCD...........
But you won't have an NCD when you first arrive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.