British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Carpet cleaning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/carpet-cleaning-896961/)

Arty May 19th 2017 8:43 pm

Carpet cleaning

Hi All ,
we have just bought a house in Cochrane and move in on the 3rd of July.Unfortunately we have to get the carpets cleaned as the previous owners had a large dog.Does anyone have recommendations for a carpet cleaning company.
cheers Art

Pulaski May 19th 2017 10:00 pm

Re: Carpet cleaning

I have used a couple of companies with this franchise/machinery, though obviously not this company that covers the Calgary area.

Both the companies I have used did an absolutely top-notch job, in one case removing some sort of pink-red make-up or pen/crayon stain from a cream bedroom carpet that had proved resistant to at least three previous attempts to remove it with a steam cleaner.

R I C H May 19th 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Arty (Post 12256260)
Hi All ,
we have just bought a house in Cochrane and move in on the 3rd of July.Unfortunately we have to get the carpets cleaned as the previous owners had a large dog.Does anyone have recommendations for a carpet cleaning company.
cheers Art

I rented a machine from Home Depot last weekend, which did a great job. 4 hours of work to do 2 sets of stairs and around 2/3 of the house (4,000 sq/ft of carpet). The machine was brand new - I've previously rented older machines from local grocery stores which weren't anywhere near as good.

evets May 19th 2017 10:38 pm

With R I C H on this, will work out far cheaper.

In addition buy a carpet cleaning spray from a supermarket for any stubborn/ingrained stains.

Flogger May 19th 2017 11:00 pm

No idea with he carpets. Just wanted to wish you all the best with the move :thumbup:

not2old May 19th 2017 11:19 pm

over the years when the need arose we always always did it ourselves by renting the carpet cleaning equipment from one of the local grocery store chains.

I see Canadian Tire & Home Depot also have them.

A 24 hr Equipment rental + cleaner stuff + selection from - tough stain remover, deodorizers & freshener in & around $100 should do it.

scilly May 19th 2017 11:40 pm

We used to do it ourselves, renting from Safeway or other store, but we used Citrus O Carpet Cleaning last year and were really satisfied with the result.

it's a franchised company, originally from Australia, and they use citrus-based cleaners (hence the name!) ................. very fresh smelling instead of chemical. Their current advertising says they have special pet stain removal cleaners, and you may get an extra bottle of it free.

Some people have reported problems, we had none.

DandNHill May 20th 2017 12:52 am

I have to say that in the years I have lost Ced in Canada I have been Canadianised and to me the fewer the carpets the better so I would be inclined to rip them all out and put laminate down..or hardwood.

R I C H May 20th 2017 1:26 am

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12256315)
over the years when the need arose we always always did it ourselves by renting the carpet cleaning equipment from one of the local grocery store chains.

I see Canadian Tire & Home Depot also have them.

A 24 hr Equipment rental + cleaner stuff + selection from - tough stain remover, deodorizers & freshener in & around $100 should do it.

24hrs rental plus a 5l jug of carpet shampoo cost me under $70.

BristolUK May 20th 2017 1:52 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12256355)
I have to say that in the years I have lost Ced in Canada I have been Canadianised and to me the fewer the carpets the better so I would be inclined to rip them all out and put laminate down..or hardwood.

I agree - except I have no idea what lost Ced means. :lol: Lived?

We have a carpet in the main living room - although we use a different room as the living room. :unsure::o

Following a bit of a new look and selling a couple of sofas on kijiji, where the sofa has been all these years you can see the contrast and how discoloured it's become compared to the protected bit.

I'm thinking of having it cleaned to see how it comes up but I'd rather have it replaced with laminate.

I did my floor with laminate back in the UK - my expert brother started me off and I finished - and there was a fair amount of preparation. Sheets of plastic, a foam/underlay sort of thing.

Do they not do that here? I never see it mentioned.

Anyway, I don't know what's under the carpet. The other room is hardwood, second bathroom is vinyl and the kitchen/diner is laminate. I have a horrible feeling there would be costs for ripping the carpet up and then some costly prep work before the actual laminate going down. And it's not an easy shape either.

DandNHill May 20th 2017 4:28 am

Haha. The lost Ced thing was predictive gone wrong! Can't remember what I wanted to say but something about the years I've been living in Canada!

Snowy560 May 22nd 2017 7:05 am

We used Citrus O ages ago they're good and avoid the chemicals.

BristolUK May 22nd 2017 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12257570)
We used Citrus O ages ago they're good and avoid the chemicals.

What about Henry? ;)

Snowy560 May 22nd 2017 2:56 pm

The Citrus O experience was before Henry!