Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Caro" - hot drink - ever heard of it?

"Caro" - hot drink - ever heard of it?

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Caro" - hot drink - ever heard of it?

Ok, probably one of the more obscure questions - but nevertheless ....

I don't drink tea of coffee - and only drink a hot beverage called "Caro". In the UK, I buy it from Holland and Barrett - and have never seen it for sale in a 'normal' supermarket.

It is a caffeine-free, chicory and malt, powdery product that you would make just like instant coffee. It is made by Nestle. Has anyone seen it in stores in Canada please ?

The tubs here only have about a one year 'best before' date - so there are only so many packs I can bring with me !!

Thank you - Ann
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Caro" - hot drink - ever heard of it?

Originally Posted by ann m
Ok, probably one of the more obscure questions - but nevertheless ....

I don't drink tea of coffee - and only drink a hot beverage called "Caro". In the UK, I buy it from Holland and Barrett - and have never seen it for sale in a 'normal' supermarket.

It is a caffeine-free, chicory and malt, powdery product that you would make just like instant coffee. It is made by Nestle. Has anyone seen it in stores in Canada please ?

The tubs here only have about a one year 'best before' date - so there are only so many packs I can bring with me !!

Thank you - Ann
Would have thought that Walmart or Canadian Superstore would have sold Caro. Should be available worldwide as that is one of the drinks that Mormans use alot of.

Gaynor
x
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
one of the drinks that Mormans use alot of.
x
Thanks Gaynor - yes, I've heard that a few times before, and even been asked if I was one (nope!)

Bit more research and guidance shows me that it should be readily available in Canada - somewhere ....

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough

Nescafe has a chicory/coffee mix called Encore, that's the closest I've seen. Have you tried natural/health food stores?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you would find Caro in Canada.

I did an Internet search. According to Wikipedia Caro's ingredients are roasted barley, malted barley, chicory, and rye.

The ingredients of Postum, manufactured by Kraft in the USA and available in Canadian supermarkets, are wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and corn dextrin.

Last weekend I was in the health food store that is closest to me in Calgary, namely, Planet Organic. I looked for an instant coffee substitute. There were a number of products containing wheat, barley, etc. Some were packaged in North America and some overseas.

The one I decided to try was Grain Gourmet Instant Coffee Substitute, bottled by Wild Country. The ingredients are organic roasted rye, organic malt, organic barley and organic chicory. In small print, the label states : Imported by Anke Kruse Organic Inc., Acton, Ontario L7J 2L7 (519) 853-3899. Product of Germany.

It looks to me as if the ingredients of Grain Gourmet are, to all intents and purposes, identical to those of Caro. Perhaps you would find Grain Gourmet acceptable.

Also, you could contact Nestle and ask them who in Canada distributes Caro (if, indeed, anyone does).

My family members and I like Macleans toothpaste, but we have not found a source of it in Canada. We don't consider it to be a make-or-break issue, and we survive very well on Crest. But when visiting family members and friends from overseas ask us what they can bring, we always ask for Macleans.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Judy - thank you (again) for your informative post. Yes, I'm sure I'll survive if I can't locate it - it's just one of those staple things I use regularly that would be nice to trackdown.

In the meantime, how is your toothpaste supply? and can I add a couple of extra tubes to my suitcase in April for you ?! Least I can do ...
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Judy - thank you (again) for your informative post. Yes, I'm sure I'll survive if I can't locate it - it's just one of those staple things I use regularly that would be nice to trackdown.

In the meantime, how is your toothpaste supply? and can I add a couple of extra tubes to my suitcase in April for you ?! Least I can do ...
I was going to offer to bring you toothpaste too....you may end up with an avalanche!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Thanks for the offers of toothpaste. I am overwhelmed. Actually our supply of Macleans is in good shape. Also, my husband is going on an overseas trip soon, and he will stock up.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We'll all be able work out where Judy lives by the fantastic light display beaming up into the sky as the light bounces off her pearly whites !!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:55 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen Caro products in Ikea. I know, I need a social life but a trip there passes for menaingful activity these days...lol....I have also seen it in my favourite local German deli, so look for German owned food stores and you should be fine.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks dingbat - sounds like a plan.

(Ikea hey? I know, it passes the time ! Been known to lurk there occasionally myself, with no purpose other than to look and see what I don't really want or need to buy!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:13 pm
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough

This is intesresting about CARO:

http://www.infactcanada.ca/nestle_boycott_product.htm