Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CARNA...1st step update

CARNA...1st step update

Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default CARNA...1st step update

Hi all
Had great help from mark off this site which is still ongoing ang we are over the moon about!!

1.Emailed CARNA
2.Printed carna forms out and filling in 1 lot and sending away with our $210 dollars
3.Taking other forms to wifes uni in birmingham and paying them to fill in and send to carna
4.This is where we are getting lost a little lol

Do we look of work around alberta now or wait and see whay carna come up with?
And who or how do we go about gettign a work permit or what permit or who even gives out work permits?
Cos i thought ive read that immigration only give upto a year out at the airport?
I have studied to much over the last few days about/house/cars/cost of coffee that im getting a tad confused.com

Thanks again jase
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CARNA...1st step update

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Hi all
Had great help from mark off this site which is still ongoing ang we are over the moon about!!

1.Emailed CARNA
2.Printed carna forms out and filling in 1 lot and sending away with our $210 dollars
3.Taking other forms to wifes uni in birmingham and paying them to fill in and send to carna
4.This is where we are getting lost a little lol

Do we look of work around alberta now or wait and see whay carna come up with?
And who or how do we go about gettign a work permit or what permit or who even gives out work permits?
Cos i thought ive read that immigration only give upto a year out at the airport?
I have studied to much over the last few days about/house/cars/cost of coffee that im getting a tad confused.com

Thanks again jase
Because of working in the Health you would need a medical before they will issue a work permit so my suggestion would be

get answer from CARNA and look for employers (contact hospitals in the areas you want to live) get LMO from them complete paperwork and send to local Canadian embassy (?London) they will inform you to get medical and once have all relevant information will send a letter confirming you meet requirements, hop on plane show letter and get TWP at airport.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Because of working in the Health you would need a medical before they will issue a work permit so my suggestion would be

get answer from CARNA and look for employers (contact hospitals in the areas you want to live) get LMO from them complete paperwork and send to local Canadian embassy (?London) they will inform you to get medical and once have all relevant information will send a letter confirming you meet requirements, hop on plane show letter and get TWP at airport.
whats LMO TWP ? sorry
Thanks again SD

Oh and what type of work permit would i get,so i can look for work?

Its just trying to keep all info in the head and not get too distracted in the weather over there or what area to live in or kids schooling!!!
And breath!!!!!!

jase
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

whats LMO TWP ? sorry
Thanks again SD

Oh and what type of work permit would i get,so i can look for work?

Its just trying to keep all info in the head and not get too distracted in the weather over there or what area to live in or kids schooling!!!
And breath!!!!!!

jase
Jase, this is where you need to sit down with a cuppa and read slowly. My better half is a nurse and has applied for work in Alberta so I will give you the details as we understand them.

LMO is a Labour Market Opinion which is issued to confirm that there is an opportunity for work in certain professions, due to there being vacancies not filled by Canadian citizens. Simplified explanation but hopefully sufficient.

TWP is a Temporary Work Permit which I believe is issued to a maximum of 3 years.

If your wife meets the requirements set out by CARNA in terms of qualification and experience, she will be accepted by them as a Temporary registrant. They will advise if she meets the criteria. I have read of others who had to complete additional training due to lack of experience in certain disciplines.

The best bet at the moment would be to contact prospective employers in Alberta. Once a job is offered, the employer will apply for the LMO from the Province.

As your wife is a nurse, she will need to apply for a police check and attend a medical examination as well.

The process would be, obtain job offer and LMO from employer, apply for police check from ACPO, http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificat...20form%207.pdf submit all relevant documents as shown here, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp#step2

The Canadian High Commision will advise your wife when she needs to attend a medical examination with one of their Designated Medical Practitioners. She should not arrange a medical before being advised by the CHC.

We are currently at the stage where my wife has obtained the LMO, job offer, CARNA temporary registration, police check and has submitted her application to the Canadian High Comission in London.

Hopefully the next step is that she will be advised to attend a medical, once that is completed and the report received from the practioner, a letter showing acceptance for a TWP is sent to us, which is shown at the Port of Entry and the TWP is issued once we arrive.

I have applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit, which I submitted with my wife's application. This would allow a TWP to be issued to me at the same time, and for the same duration as my wife's. I would be allowed to work for any employer, but obviously not in any occupation that would have needeed police or medical checks, such as healthcare or working with children.

There is a wealth of information in the WIKI, (blue bar at the top of the page) and on the CHC website.

Hopefully with this info and the links I've provided, it may be a slightly easier walk through the minefield for you.

Please feel free to PM me if you need clarification on any of the points.

Sorry for the long post but there are an awfull lot of things that need to be done in order to get to Canada.

Kev
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kev............Now its sinking in

Very well put down my friend,thank you big time!!!

Being as she works nights/days etc,like working now,im doing the leg work

You said about start looking for a job?
But the emplyer wont except you unless you have a CARNA thumbs up?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Kev............Now its sinking in

Very well put down my friend,thank you big time!!!

Being as she works nights/days etc,like working now,im doing the leg work

You said about start looking for a job?
But the emplyer wont except you unless you have a CARNA thumbs up?
Glad it was of some help, please read the info in the WIKI and the Nursing forum as well. Others have explained it far better and probably a lot clearer than me.

I'm no expert, just telling like it has been for us so far.

If your other half applies for posts now with Albertan employers and tells them that she has applied for CARNA registration already, it would certainly be to her benefit I think.

There is a lot of info out there, which means a hell of a lot of reading, more than once, to get your head around it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions however daft they may seem, I couldn't find the info for the size of self addressed envelope needed to be sent with the application, even though it was staring me in the face.

Things seem to take an age, then something happens, then another long wait for the next stage, keep the faith and hopefully all will become good.

We submitted our applications on 16th December so are not expecting to hear anything for a while due to the break for the holidays.

Good luck, keep thinking of the final goal, head down and get reading and applying for jobs.

Best wishes,

Kev
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks kev

We would be lost without souls like your goodself my friend

Size of what envelope lol
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I think your wife would have more luck with employers already going through or gone through CARNA. I know someone who took 8 months from start to finish and is now working in Canada and passed CRNE. Also know of a few others heading off soon. Time does seem to vary on processing through London
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sd your words are very reasurring indeed
Thanks again

jason
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are welcome, I have started the process with NS but I have been lucky as dh was the one who got the work permit and we did it through London and must say found them to be reasonable.

Saying that our start to the new year is wind and snow
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trophy

If your other half applies for posts now with Albertan employers and tells them that she has applied for CARNA registration already, it would certainly be to her benefit I think.
Silverdragon102
I think your wife would have more luck with employers already going through or gone through CARNA.

Is that not what I said?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't say it wasn't, just giving my opinion like yours
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Wispor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jase,

Not sure if this will help, but I am just a little bit ahead of you and you wife in the application stakes and have a job with Calgary health region and cleared CARNA in December.

I got a job offer from Calgary Health region before even clearing CARNA as I answered an advertisement in Nursing Times. They have an International Recruits person who looks after oversees nurses who is lovely- if you would like me to, I could PM her name, phone number and e-mail to you. All I did was e-mail her- she phoned me the next night - did a phone interview and my provisional job offer arrived the next week!

CARNA is a whole different ball game! I found them a nightmate to deal with. I'm not sure what type of nurse you wife is, but it's REALLY important that the university that she went to states that in her training she had experience of Childrens, Maternity and Mental Health nursing - even if this was part of another placement e.g A&E. Otherwise they will only grant a limited nursing permit and she will have to do extra study in these areas to bring her skills up to their requirements.

In my experience, they also work painfully slowly and won't let you kinow if any part of your application is missing etc- its only when you e-mail them they will let you know if there' s a problem!

In hindsight, I would get the info from your wifes uni and the NMC verifacation sent off as quickly as possible with her application to CARNA- then you can monitor the progress of the application online. If things seem to be going slowly keep on top of them via e-mail and be a pain in the bum if need be

Good luck and if you need any help/ advice i'm always here

X
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Jase, nice to see things getting going

Arris (Mrs S )
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wispor
Hi Jase,

Not sure if this will help, but I am just a little bit ahead of you and you wife in the application stakes and have a job with Calgary health region and cleared CARNA in December.

I got a job offer from Calgary Health region before even clearing CARNA as I answered an advertisement in Nursing Times. They have an International Recruits person who looks after oversees nurses who is lovely- if you would like me to, I could PM her name, phone number and e-mail to you. All I did was e-mail her- she phoned me the next night - did a phone interview and my provisional job offer arrived the next week!

CARNA is a whole different ball game! I found them a nightmate to deal with. I'm not sure what type of nurse you wife is, but it's REALLY important that the university that she went to states that in her training she had experience of Childrens, Maternity and Mental Health nursing - even if this was part of another placement e.g A&E. Otherwise they will only grant a limited nursing permit and she will have to do extra study in these areas to bring her skills up to their requirements.

In my experience, they also work painfully slowly and won't let you kinow if any part of your application is missing etc- its only when you e-mail them they will let you know if there' s a problem!

In hindsight, I would get the info from your wifes uni and the NMC verifacation sent off as quickly as possible with her application to CARNA- then you can monitor the progress of the application online. If things seem to be going slowly keep on top of them via e-mail and be a pain in the bum if need be

Good luck and if you need any help/ advice i'm always here

X
Now this is confusing indeed!!!
First off wife hasnt had mental health training so we cant put that down!!
She is a fully bonified childrens nurse with ICU training for a year a various courses,surely this is needed in canada?
I dont really understand about going through someone else,im not getting grumpy about this cos your advise is awesome,its just that i dont understand what our alternatives are? NWC???

Originally Posted by Arris
Hiya Jase, nice to see things getting going

Arris (Mrs S )
Was
Mrs S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.