Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cargo Insurance

Cargo Insurance

Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cargo Insurance

I am moving to Alberta in April.... we have received quotes for our shipping and are happy with the cost involved but the insurance we felt was a bit high if you take it out with the removal company direct.

Has anyone taken out insurance with a third party & was it much cheaper?? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cargo Insurance

Originally Posted by Red1974
I am moving to Alberta in April.... we have received quotes for our shipping and are happy with the cost involved but the insurance we felt was a bit high if you take it out with the removal company direct.

Has anyone taken out insurance with a third party & was it much cheaper?? Any help would be appreciated.
Marine insurance is high and works differently to home insurance as to how they value things. Give an insurance broker a call, but I doubt you'll save much.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough

We are shipping to NS end of Feb. Armishaws is quoting 2.75% of the value. I'm also looking to see if I can get better value.

Cheers kduk
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Marine insurance is high and works differently to home insurance as to how they value things. Give an insurance broker a call, but I doubt you'll save much.
yes - at the value our stuff was insured at I was hoping the container would fall into the sea (as sometimes happens apparently).
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Something to keep in mind about Cargo insurance is that hauliers are typically only liable for a certain % based on the weight of the cargo.
Eg/ $1 per Kilo.

There are probably options out there for full replacement, but just be careful what you sign up to.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Well after all the research and everyone's comments we have no committed to a removal company who were able to offer us 2.2% on the value of goods which has been the best so far, they also gave a great price for our shipment. We are having to do a shared container which i know can and will brings it worries but for the little we are taking in made better sense. Thanks everyone for the advice.. only 97 days to the big move now...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:34 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

We paid 2% on insured value - you can cut the cost by just insuring specific items and not the entire container.

This was done through the shipping company (Anglo Pacific)