Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"cares" infant flying harness - NS only

"cares" infant flying harness - NS only

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default Re: "cares" infant flying harness - NS only

I feel so sorry for your kids Dwight. On one hand you say you understand the need for them to be entertained and for the parents not just to expect to sleep throughout the flight - i mean this is pretty obvious to most who have flown with kids right

THEN you say you just drug them up with calpol for the flight .... oh deary me

And by the way, the whole point of the CARES harness is for young ones between 22-44 pounds to not have to sit in their own car seat on the plane, that's right they can sit in a normal seat, using this harness which saves SO much hassel and if you have actually flown on longer flights than 10 hours - try 35 to Australia/New Zealand then you would actually see the whole point of using a CARES harness

I agree, everyone to their own, but come on, what was the point in all that nonesense when you don't even understand what the hell a harness is
How is using one playing into a parents paranoia?

You can either have them on your lap for 35 hours which is a no good, trust me, or in their car seat which i can imagine would be a hassle, or by one of these brilliant harnesses which cost less than a car seat and have a stress free flight

I'm being touchy? no, just realistic and i posted this to see what other people think if they had actually used one
i think you just don't get it and would like to see you and your attitude cope on a 35 hour flight

Last edited by grantanddebs; Oct 17th 2008 at 3:37 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
I feel so sorry for your kids Dwight. On one hand you say you understand the need for them to be entertained and for the parents not just to expect to sleep throughout the flight - i mean this is pretty obvious to most who have flown with kids right

THEN you say you just drug them up with calpol for the flight .... oh deary me

And by the way, the whole point of the CARES harness is for young ones between 22-44 pounds to not have to sit in their own car seat on the plane, that's right they can sit in a normal seat, using this harness which saves SO much hassel and if you have actually flown on longer flights than 10 hours - try 35 to Australia/New Zealand then you would actually see the whole point of using a CARES harness

I agree, everyone to their own, but come on, what was the point in all that nonesense when you don't even understand what the hell a harness is
How is using one playing into a parents paranoia?

You can either have them on your lap for 35 hours which is a no good, trust me, or in their car seat which i can imagine would be a hassle, or by one of these brilliant harnesses which cost less than a car seat and have a stress free flight

I'm being touchy? no, just realistic and i posted this to see what other people think if they had actually used one
i think you just don't get it and would like to see you and your attitude cope on a 35 hour flight
This is starting to sound like a sales pitch to me.... I wonder exactly how much of an interest you have in bringing this product to the attention of a forum where there are likely to be people with kids planning long haul flights? Are you really a secret spammer??? You've been overly defensive about this from the word go. For the record, the calpol comment was sarcasm - if you possessed a sense of humour you would have realised this. Also for the record, snide comments about my kids are totally out of order - but i guess anyone still interested enough to be reading this will realise this says more about you than me.

Personally, I wouldn't dream about strapping down either of my kids for 35 hours - granted I've never flown with them for more than 10 hours at a stretch, but then I also wouldn't dream about making them endure a flight of any longer than that. I've never taken car seats with me - even when the youngest was six months and we flew to Las Vegas, she shared three seats with her brother, mum and me and with a whole stack of books, toys etc was relatively content for the flight. The airline we used, along with several since, didn't even have lap-belts for take off and landing - hence my initially stated opinion that the company making these belts is simply playing on parents safety fears. But lets face it, whatever I say, you're going to take personal offence for reasons best known to yourself.

If it makes it any easier for you to deal with my differing opinion, I actually really don't care. I would never buy one of these, I don't see the point,need or benefit. You've clearly chosen to make an issue out of my initial post which was non-confrontational and merely expressing an opinion and if that makes your life more complete, then happy days.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:41 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I've also flown with the kids since they were babies. My daughter was always easy to entertain on the plane. Never needed to bring a car seat and she was always content to play with the toys that I brought her.

My son NEEDS to have some boundaries on where he can go. The lap belt is useless as you said and all he wanted to do was go somewhere else. My child DOES NOT stop moving around for a moment and toys do not distract him from his purpose (which is escaping). It's not just on planes either, he's the same way at the park. He doesn't want to play on the equipment, but rather run away from the park and explore the surroundings.

So.... I think it's rather judgemental of you to assume that parents are not doing a good enough job of entertaining their kids. I can assure you that on our trips 14 hour flight plus 5 hour flight that I did not get to watch any movies until the kids fell asleep overnight (when it was 1am for them). The majority of my time on the plane was spent being crawled over by my 2 year old and just generally trying to keep him happy (which is impossible when you have to keep him in the seats).

And... quite frankly it's NOT safe for the kids to be sitting in their seats unbuckled. In the event of sudden turbulence the kids would go flying. This happened quite recently in Australia. One guy's kid was stuck on the roof of a plane for a second while the plane was free falling. I dare you to tell me that's safe!

So, yes the restraint is safer particularly when your child would not stay in the seat buckled by only the planes seat belt. Safety was definitely a factor, but the big factor was that my child needed to know that he was not allowed to crawl/climb about the plane. I won't let him in the car so why would I let him in the plane?