Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

car sun/moon roof and the weather

car sun/moon roof and the weather

Old Aug 25th 2022, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default car sun/moon roof and the weather

This may be an odd question but has anyone who lives in parts of Canada where it gets down to -30 in the winter had issues with sun/moon roofs on their vehicles? My Canadian partner thinks the cold could be an issue with seals, ice build up and leaks?
Old Aug 25th 2022, 9:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car sun/moon roof and the weather

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
This may be an odd question but has anyone who lives in parts of Canada where it gets down to -30 in the winter had issues with sun/moon roofs on their vehicles? My Canadian partner thinks the cold could be an issue with seals, ice build up and leaks?
I had a Mustang convertibles as a winter driver. Parked outside. Saw -33 on the thermometer. No issues.

I had another Mustang convertible as an only car, a VW Beetle convertible, a Suzuki Vitara convertible. The windows of the VW nested deep into the top and would sometimes freeze in place, otherwise they all went along fine.

I have a BMW hardtop convertible, the multiple parts of the roof have rubber seals that look like they might leak but they don't.

Oh, on edit, all those leased Ford Escapes and the Exploder had sun roofs, none of them leaked.

I'd say the risk is not zero but not major.
Old Aug 25th 2022, 10:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I would think in some of the coldest towns & provinces in Canada where it either rains a lot or gets down to minus -50c in the winter folks drive either sunroof or convertible vehicles with minimal issues.

https://www.worlddata.info/america/c...ova-scotia.php

likely vehicle manufacturers have figured it out especially on the exports to some god forsaken hell frozen over places....Alaska, Yukon, Greenland, Siberia to name a few.

even remote parts of Scotland eh!

Last edited by not2old; Aug 25th 2022 at 11:18 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I would think in some of the coldest towns & provinces in Canada where it either rains a lot or gets down to minus -50c in the winter folks drive either sunroof or convertible vehicles with minimal issues.

https://www.worlddata.info/america/c...ova-scotia.php

likely vehicle manufacturers have figured it out especially on the exports to some god forsaken hell frozen over places....Alaska, Yukon, Greenland, Siberia to name a few.

even remote parts of Scotland eh!

It gets wet here in Scotland but not as cold as to where I'll probably end up living .

Thanks for the posts, I suppose at the end of day, like all things in life, you'll never know until you try so as I like sun roofs I may as well get a vehicle that has one and see what happens.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 12:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
It gets wet here in Scotland but not as cold as to where I'll probably end up living .

Thanks for the posts, I suppose at the end of day, like all things in life, you'll never know until you try so as I like sun roofs I may as well get a vehicle that has one and see what happens.
i've seen people driving convertibles in the middle of a Canadian winter when temperatures are below freezing.

more trivia related than worrying about icing/leaky sun roofs....

including wearing shorts when temperatures at minus 20c.

in Canada's snowy icy conditions, not only do you drive different one also learns to walk on pavements/sidewalks that have ice & slush without falling flat on your back.

one thing about Canada & winters is shovelling snow, its part of the routine especially after shovelling the driveway the snow plow comes along & puts back more snow than you just shovelled.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
i've seen people driving convertibles in the middle of a Canadian winter when temperatures are below freezing.
The most recent Mustang convertible met its end while on summer tyres. I advertised the winter tyres and they were gone in a couple of hours. The phone rang constantly until I took the ad down. And this is a couple of hours out of town.

There are plenty of people who can only have one car and drive it year round (as I did and may again). Such poor people should be allowed dignity, they shouldn't have to suffer driving a hard top vehicle (nor an automatic as long as they have function in both their legs).
Old Aug 26th 2022, 4:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more concerned with hail damage than snow and ice.

Just don't use them when it's snowy and icy.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'd be more concerned with hail damage than snow and ice.
I had a car written off due to hail damage 6 years ago--golf-ball sized projectiles.

All of the metal panels looked like they suffered from teenage acne. All of the glass bits were fine, including the sunroof.

I'm not suggesting that it couldn't have been worse, under even more severe conditions. But the glass is surprisingly tough.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

If the sun/moon roof breaks within the first few years, then it'll be covered under the warranty if it's a new car. If it's a used car or outside warranty, then you should always budget for repairs anyway, all sorts of things can go wrong with cars, alternators, transmission, fuel pump, etc. the sun roof is really not high on the list of possible failures in my opinion.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We used to ski regularly. Sometimes we would stay at a hotel near the resort that had heated underground parking. One time, we left the parkade and our car's thermometer told us it was 15 degrees. As we left and ventured out into the winter, the car's thermometer increased until it stopped at -30 (early in the morning with no sun). I would think that, if our vehicle's windows (including a sunroof) could cope with such a drastic change of temperate with no issue, most others could too.

Despite the frigid temperatures and our faces putting up with that as we skied downhill, we survived, albeit needing to attend the lodge far more frequently than normal, but that's another story!
Old Aug 31st 2022, 3:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
I had a car written off due to hail damage 6 years ago--golf-ball sized projectiles.

All of the metal panels looked like they suffered from teenage acne. All of the glass bits were fine, including the sunroof.

I'm not suggesting that it couldn't have been worse, under even more severe conditions. But the glass is surprisingly tough.
we've had a couple of cars written and a couple repaired over the years - one was $14k on insurance. Glad this storm missed us by a couple of miles.
https://www.newsweek.com/weather-hai...lberta-1730355
Old Aug 31st 2022, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

From recent experience, I can confirm that the above statement does not apply to the glass roof on a Tesla. Perhaps the engineers had not factored in the weight and protruding bits of a bicycle landing on it after getting torn off its roof rack by the entrance to the multi story car park.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 7:52 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we have one of those panoramic sun roofs (two panels instead of one) on our Ford Explorer and it leaks. I bought some clear silicone from Home Depot and fixed the areas where there was gaps and this fixed it.

Not a fan of sun roofs myself, Kamloops is too hot so most cars need a/c on and can't be driving around with the sun roof open.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
From recent experience, I can confirm that the above statement does not apply to the glass roof on a Tesla. Perhaps the engineers had not factored in the weight and protruding bits of a bicycle landing on it after getting torn off its roof rack by the entrance to the multi story car park.
In that case, I wouldn't have much concern about the roof panel, or the Tesla for that matter.

But was the bicycle alright?!?
Old Sep 1st 2022, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

But was the bicycle alright?!?
Sadly, no. And either was the one mounted beside it. I was amazed at how much damage there was to bikes, car and rack for the hit. Fortunately, scrap metal prices are looking strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.