Car seats

Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

HPM80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car seats

Hi all,

New here - but have been monitoring for a while.

I'll be moving over to Ontario on an intra company transfer probably in November.

I have two little ones who we will be bringing over with us and will fly with their car seats (as it's easier on the plane). My question is whether or not we can legally use the UK car seats in Canada?

I've been looking over the Transport Canada website that talks about cross border shopping and being careful - but it stops short of saying you aren't allowed to use foreign car seats ...

Can anyone enlighten me?

HPM.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car seats

Originally Posted by HPM80
Hi all,

I'll be moving over to Ontario on an intra company transfer probably in November.

I have two little ones who we will be bringing over with us and will fly with their car seats (as it's easier on the plane). My question is whether or not we can legally use the UK car seats in Canada?

I've been looking over the Transport Canada website that talks about cross border shopping and being careful - but it stops short of saying you aren't allowed to use foreign car seats ...

Can anyone enlighten me?

HPM.
If the seats do not have the appropriate Canadian sticker on them (proving that they meet the necessary Canadian Standards) you may be prosecuted if you are caught using them and you may have issues with insurance companies if your children are injured while sat in them.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me?

HPM.
Welcome to BE

You are not allowed to use the car seats from the UK even on the flight unfortunately (if you are flying with a Canadian or US Airline).

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=car+seat

You can't use a UK carseat in Canada in a vehicle either, as they are required to have the Canadian equivalent of a kite mark together with both languages.

Additionally:

"109. For the purposes of paragraph 7(1)(a) of the Act, a person who imports into Canada a restraint system or booster seat, or the person’s duly authorized representative, must file with the Minister, before importation, a duly completed declaration in the form prescribed in Schedule 4."

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...s/SOR-2010-90/

Also:

"..Transport Canada and Health Canada are concerned that parents and caregivers may not know that it is illegal to import and use in Canada a seat that does not comply with Canadian standards.."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...9-menu-353.htm
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

HPM80 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're both stars!

Thank you for the info.

We know we can use them on the planes (we'd be flying BA and have used them repeatedly before) - but it was the 'in the car at the other end' bit of the problem.

I guess we'll rethink!

M.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You're both stars!

Thank you for the info.

We know we can use them on the planes (we'd be flying BA and have used them repeatedly before) - but it was the 'in the car at the other end' bit of the problem.

I guess we'll rethink!

M.
We chose not to rethink at all and used our UK seats until our youngest grew out of it. We accepted the risks involved with doing so. I didn't believe that there was much of an insurance risk due to the law of causation. The police around here are so preoccupied with other things that I didn't think that there was much of a risk of being found guilty of committing a crime either.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

They are obsessed with car seats here. Turns out they won't let us leave the hospital without one (despite not having a car and living like a 10-minute walk from the hospital - not that I'm planning to walk right after giving birth...).
But, you can hire a car seat. It's around $7-$10 per day.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:48 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're taking ours as like most anyone else we're getting picked up from the airport and I'll be in no mood to go looking for an approved seat.

We will get a Canadian one after we're settled in.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:02 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

You can always get one of those CARES harnesses for the plane if you are worried about your little ones wriggling out of the seat! The vast majority of airlines accept these. It wraps round the back of the seat and joins up with the lap belt - dead easy to use.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

I can attest that the police in Ottawa do carry out random checks on car seats. I witnessed them pulling over vehicles at traffic lights a few weeks ago. Basically a cop dressed as a construction worker walks up the line of stationary vehicles and looks for car seats, any they see they tell to pull over by a cop car further up the road who then examine the seat. Not only does the seat need the correct label, but they also have an expiry date now.

While on the subject of construction worker cops, it should also be noted that they carry out checks for you using your cell phone while stationary at the lights and will ticket for that as well.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

TeamCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be very expensive to rent car seats from car hire place. Depending on how little your little ones are, you may be better just buying them. I got a booster seat for my 6 year old from Walmart. I think it was $13 + tax. Not bad at all I think that sort of booster seat will do from about 4 yrs plus.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:48 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

I truly thought that we were the only ones who actually put our child in a car seat on a plane.... Have never seen anyone else do so! An air canada attendant did actually check it once too to make sure it was Canadian after she heard our accents.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
I can attest that the police in Ottawa do carry out random checks on car seats. I witnessed them pulling over vehicles at traffic lights a few weeks ago. Basically a cop dressed as a construction worker walks up the line of stationary vehicles and looks for car seats, any they see they tell to pull over by a cop car further up the road who then examine the seat. Not only does the seat need the correct label, but they also have an expiry date now.

While on the subject of construction worker cops, it should also be noted that they carry out checks for you using your cell phone while stationary at the lights and will ticket for that as well.
The expiry date is not a legal thing. It's a marketing ploy by the car seat manufacturers. It's also a complete nonsense, but that's another thread entirely.

I'm in Almost Canadian's camp. I knew perfectly well that is was theoretically against the law to strap my child in Canada into a car seat that exceeds the extremely rigorous European safety standards and consistently won "top safety pick"-style accolades in the UK. I was completely confident in the ability of the seat to protect my child in the event of an accident, and was prepared to argue my case in court if a jobsworth copper ever had the gall to suggest that he'd charge me for using it. At least the bloody thing was installed properly, which I consistently hear that over 70% of car seats are not.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Transport Canada would disagree with you on that Oakvillian, expiry dates are enforced, an out of date seat is illegal to use, regardless of the reasons and whether we agree with it or not. Plenty of pages on that if you look at their website. I would agree that it's partly marketing, but would also argue that they do like to change regulations and it ensures that people aren't using an ancient seat that wouldn't pass stricter safety tests.

You're right though, a lot of seats are badly installed.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dashie
Transport Canada would disagree with you on that Oakvillian, expiry dates are enforced, an out of date seat is illegal to use, regardless of the reasons and whether we agree with it or not. Plenty of pages on that if you look at their website. I would agree that it's partly marketing, but would also argue that they do like to change regulations and it ensures that people aren't using an ancient seat that wouldn't pass stricter safety tests.

You're right though, a lot of seats are badly installed.
Some of it has to do with the degradation of plastic when you leave the seat in your car. It is subject to a lot of heat/cold cycles, and the plastic does become brittle and may not be resistant to impact.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

And what about the other way around? Are Canadian seats okay to use in the UK? We'll be traveling at the end of August to visit family in the UK, are our baby seats and booster seats OK? I have used Canadian booster seats in the UK before but have never been pulled over so no issue. I know they are safe, but are they legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.