British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   car seat for one year old- arriving to Calgary this week (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/car-seat-one-year-old-arriving-calgary-week-753734/)

kmcmull1985 Apr 3rd 2012 6:16 pm

car seat for one year old- arriving to Calgary this week

Well,

We are due to fly out from Dublin this Thurs 5th- however my 12 month old baby boy has been having bother over the last 24 hours with croup- so we have been advised to postpone our flight- we are now looking at Sun 8th- as all our paperwork expires on 12th April, eek!!

Thought we were all good to go with car seat, but then plans fell through. Is there anyone that can advise the best way of getting baby to our destination from calgary airport? We have a 30min drive to great grans house. Is it possible to hire a taxi that has a suitable car seat, rather than go through the hassle of trying to hire from a rental company etc?

All advice would be greatly appreciated at this everso hectic time!!

thanks

iaink Apr 3rd 2012 6:38 pm

Re: car seat for one year old- arriving to Calgary this week

On a technical legal front, Its not necessary to use a child seat in a Taxi in Alberta.

Doesnt do much for piece of mind, but for half an hour its an option.

However, some taxi companies may have policies in place regardless of the legal minimum requirements.

And again, on the other hand dont you need a child seat with you for on the plane anyway?

iaink Apr 3rd 2012 6:49 pm

A bit of googling found this place, they will deliver to the airport too.
http://www.onetinysuitcase.ca/

:thumbup:

Geordie Lass Apr 3rd 2012 8:30 pm

Wait for someone in the know but I am sure you can load car seats (and buggys) onto planes for free?

I've done a buggy before and they also take it off first thing for you so you can set it up straight away. Sure its the same for car seats :)

Aviator Apr 3rd 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9987632)
Wait for someone in the know but I am sure you can load car seats (and buggys) onto planes for free?

I've done a buggy before and they also take it off first thing for you so you can set it up straight away. Sure its the same for car seats :)

But a car seat that is not CSA approved cannot be used on a Canadian registered aircraft nor is it legal to use in a Canadian registered vehicle, where the law requires a car seat to be used.

Geordie Lass Apr 3rd 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 9987661)
But a car seat that is not CSA approved cannot be used on a Canadian registered aircraft nor is it legal to use in a Canadian registered vehicle, where the law requires a car seat to be used.

Ah yes.... I forgot about that... sorry....

iaink Apr 3rd 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 9987661)

But not in a "livery vehicle" (ie bus, limo or taxi) apparently.

Except some taxis insist anyway.

rivingtonpike Apr 3rd 2012 8:49 pm

There are cab firms who will send you a car with a baby seat already in place. I'm not sure if you have access to one for the rest of your stay, but when we came over the first time we bought the appropriate sized one from Toys R Us, then when we returned to England to pack up etc, we left it with friends who then brought it to the airport for us when we landed for good. If you look on www.toysrus.com you'll see they're not very expensive.

rivingtonpike Apr 3rd 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9987677)
But not in a "livery vehicle" (ie bus, limo or taxi) apparently.

Except some taxis insist anyway.

This is true in BC unless they've changed the rules.

Aviator Apr 3rd 2012 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 9987684)
This is true in BC unless they've changed the rules.

They have got more stringent over the past decade.

ctraveler Apr 4th 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9987439)
A bit of googling found this place, they will deliver to the airport too.
http://www.onetinysuitcase.ca/

:thumbup:

There are also these guys: www.littletraveller.ca

I have used both companies and found them to be fantastic! Well looked after clean equipment with Airport pickup and drop-off's available.

Highly recommended.

jericho Apr 4th 2012 12:38 pm

Just tell the taxi to bring a child seat- they all have them, so it's not a big deal.