Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car rental in winter

Car rental in winter

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:44 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car rental in winter

This is probably going to seem like a dumb question, but are all Canadian rental cars set up appropriately for winter driving?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental in winter

Hi,

You get a wind shield scraper!!!!

Originally Posted by acer rose
This is probably going to seem like a dumb question, but are all Canadian rental cars set up appropriately for winter driving?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Hi,

Im over in Van form 25t November - 12 December, how much would i look to pay to hire a car / people carrier for a week????

Stuart
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:55 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

They usually come with flares, a shovel, Mars bars, a bag of cat litter, multiple blankets and a flask of soup. If you're a member of the rental company's VIP club the car comes with a pneumatic lady of eastern European extraction who promises to keep you warm.

Seriously, Hertz in the US have nice ice scrapers in the shape of a #1, I don't think they have thenm in Canada so, if you see one, steal it.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

hawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stuartm
Hi,

Im over in Van form 25t November - 12 December, how much would i look to pay to hire a car / people carrier for a week????

Stuart

Try this

http://www.cheap-car-rental.com/ca_index.asp

But you will be looking at any thing from £237.00 to £530.00 depending on what car you choose.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:48 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
They usually come with flares, a shovel, Mars bars, a bag of cat litter, multiple blankets and a flask of soup.
Oooh, more left in our budget for luxuries such as coffees and donuts then

Originally Posted by dbd
Seriously, Hertz in the US have nice ice scrapers in the shape of a #1, I don't think they have thenm in Canada so, if you see one, steal it.
So, if I am planning to take a trip into the mountains for skiing, I need not worry about winter tires, block heater connections etc, but I must remember to purloin an ice scraper. Ta.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:05 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Oooh, more left in our budget for luxuries such as coffees and donuts then

So, if I am planning to take a trip into the mountains for skiing, I need not worry about winter tires, block heater connections etc, but I must remember to purloin an ice scraper. Ta.
I suppose I don't know where exactly you intend to go skiing but I've been to various resorts in Colorado and Utah as well as in Quebec in my rear wheel drive car using all season radials. I suppose it would be more sensible to have a front wheel drive car for the winter but roads to ski resorts are going to be ploughed. If you're going really off the beaten track then the items listed are the ones to have and, no, they don't come with the car.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:31 pm
talking Ter Sami

Originally Posted by dbd
I suppose I don't know where exactly you intend to go skiing but I've been to various resorts in Colorado and Utah as well as in Quebec in my rear wheel drive car using all season radials. I suppose it would be more sensible to have a front wheel drive car for the winter but roads to ski resorts are going to be ploughed.
Cheers. Was thinking about Quebec and hoping it was popular enough to be ploughed, but once bitten (small mountain in California, unploughed road, American car, snow chains and lots of inexperience were not the greatest combination).

Originally Posted by dbd
If you're going really off the beaten track then the items listed are the ones to have and, no, they don't come with the car.
Not planning to go far off the beaten track, but my SO always takes the piss when the shovel, chocolate and rugs are put into the car in the UK in November. Kitty litter is a top tip though.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:35 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Kitty litter is a top tip though.

What do you use kitty litter for? :scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:36 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Cheers. Was thinking about Quebec and hoping it was popular enough to be ploughed, but once bitten (small mountain in California, unploughed road, American car, snow chains and lots of inexperience were not the greatest combination).

Not planning to go far off the beaten track, but my SO always takes the piss when the shovel, chocolate and rugs are put into the car in the UK in November. Kitty litter is a top tip though.
I don't think there's anywhere in Canada where chains are allowed so no need to worry about them. I find the big problem in winter is visibility rather than traction, I hate that driving by braille for the first five miles.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:39 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
If you get stuck you sprinkle it under the wheels, it's better than gravel and, if you don't get stuck, you can use it for the cat.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Traction. Dont use clumping litter though

Sand or Ash will work just as well, and Crappy tire were selling these neat fold out spiked mats that would be even better. Most of the advice you hear about mats/ old carpet etc is useless, you just end up firing the mat backwards into a snowbank.

Best bet is not to get stuck in the first place
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
I hate that driving by braille for the first five miles.
Then wait for your windows to clear before going anywhere

I do wonder about the sanity of the people you see driving around in igloos with just a 6 inch wide letterbox slot for forward visibility and nothing in any other direction!

Probably explains the high insurace premiums.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:48 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Then wait for your windows to clear before going anywhere

I do wonder about the sanity of the people you see driving around in igloos with just a 6 inch wide letterbox slot for forward visibility and nothing in any other direction!
I don't like not being able to see out of the side windows but they don't thaw enough to open them by the time I get to work. I can't use the office garage door lock from the car in winter because, when I get to work, the windows are still frozen shut. I have to get out !
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd
I don't like not being able to see out of the side windows but they don't thaw enough to open them by the time I get to work. I can't use the office garage door lock from the car in winter because, when I get to work, the windows are still frozen shut. I have to get out !
I must be having a seniors moment...I dont understand the problem.

Get an autostarter and heat it from the inside out, or just scrape the ice off the windows like everyone else? I must be missing something I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.