Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car rental on landing

Car rental on landing

Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:44 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental on landing

Originally Posted by R I C H
Would have hated to disappoint you.

I just believe it's actually possible cope without them (4 winters here, I've never bothered to fit any). That's not to say all-seasons are as good.
Ha ha.
Everyone to their own.

I dont agree with your opinion but will defend to the death your right to voice it.

On my first visits here in a rental I "coped" too. And by "coped" I mean "sh4t myself".

Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Ha ha.
Everyone to their own.

I dont agree with your opinion but will defend to the death your right to voice it.

On my first visits here in a rental I "coped" too. And by "coped" I mean "sh4t myself".

I'm comfortable on all season tyres. Winter tyres would offer more grip but grip is the least of my worries when driving in the winter.

I've never used chains on a car and wonder how practical they are. I have chains on the tractor, they allow me to get up and down a lane that would otherwise be impassable, but installing them is the year's biggest pain the arse. Two hours of struggling and grunting to get them tight enough that they won't fall off. It can't take that long to install chains on a car but is it easy to install them and if so how come it's easy? Is it just that they're relatively light?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha.
Everyone to their own.

You don't agree it's possible to cope?

I frequently drive 50mins to the ski hill, had a contract that involved weekly trips from BC's interior to Vancouver, and have a regular 25min commute to work.

I live rurally where plowing and gritting doesn't generally happen until 12hrs after a snowfall, and have a long (0.5km) steep driveway. I have owned rear/4WD trucks, front wheel drive and all wheel drive cars.

As I said, winter tires do offer better traction/stopping ability, but they're not necessarily essential to getting about adequately.

Maybe it's down to driver skill
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:21 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You don't agree it's possible to cope?

I frequently drive 50mins to the ski hill, had a contract that involved weekly trips from BC's interior to Vancouver, and have a regular 25min commute to work.

I live rurally where plowing and gritting doesn't generally happen until 12hrs after a snowfall, and have a long (0.5km) steep driveway. I have owned rear/4WD trucks, front wheel drive and all wheel drive cars.

As I said, winter tires do offer better traction/stopping ability, but they're not necessarily essential to getting about adequately.

Maybe it's down to driver skill

Wow thats a lot of cars you've been through.
Did you crash them?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm comfortable on all season tyres. Winter tyres would offer more grip but grip is the least of my worries when driving in the winter.

I've never used chains on a car and wonder how practical they are. I have chains on the tractor, they allow me to get up and down a lane that would otherwise be impassable, but installing them is the year's biggest pain the arse. Two hours of struggling and grunting to get them tight enough that they won't fall off. It can't take that long to install chains on a car but is it easy to install them and if so how come it's easy? Is it just that they're relatively light?
This summer in Oregon, we passed turn off areas on mountain passes where it is mandatory to have chains (or snow tyres I guess...but nobody in the valleys has those) put on...apparently the police or some such group check to make sure you have them on...it must be pretty easy to put them on if everybody is putting them on.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We rented an RV in January. It came with chains but a big notice saying if we used the chains then we were responsible for any damage caused to the vehicle by them. The advice we were given was "if you need to use chains, don't go there"
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
it must be pretty easy to put them on if everybody is putting them on.
That's what I thought from seeing the chain up areas but putting chains on the tractor is a long and dirty job, based on that I'd think chaining a pantechnicon would take all day.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha.
Everyone to their own.
Quite. I've driven through 20 winters in the GTA without bothering with snows.

No doubt I'll wipe out tomorrow, but what the hey.