Reload this Page >

Car rental- CDW

Car rental- CDW

Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car rental- CDW

Hey guys
What do you all do when renting a vehicle?
My Mum just paid for a rental for a week, and paid the $24 a day for CDW, but when you look at it, its only for the vehicle, not personal, or property, nor does it cover theft or attempted theft!
Seems kind of pricey for not a lot of coverage!
A friends moving to Ontario and shes now wondering whether to get it or not?
In fact, if anyone has any good recommendations on car rental in Ontario, that would be awesome! I usually deal with Enterprise, but have no clue whats out east.
Thanks so much
Lu
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental- CDW

I use my credit card as it carries very good insurance. When traveling in Europe I take a copy of the CC insurance policy with me to answer any questions the rental agency has.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I too charge the rental to a credit card with good coverage and decline all insurances.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Hey guys
What do you all do when renting a vehicle?
My Mum just paid for a rental for a week, and paid the $24 a day for CDW, but when you look at it, its only for the vehicle, not personal, or property, nor does it cover theft or attempted theft!
Seems kind of pricey for not a lot of coverage!
A friends moving to Ontario and shes now wondering whether to get it or not?
In fact, if anyone has any good recommendations on car rental in Ontario, that would be awesome! I usually deal with Enterprise, but have no clue whats out east.
Thanks so much
Lu
CDW is Collision Damage Waiver, exactly what it says it is. Rental company policies are exorbitant. In BC, ICBC Road Star covers rental loss, you also can buy a policy through CAA, many credit cards carry CDW, so long as you decline the rental policy. Usually the rental company insurance and CAA also covers increased liability at well, which the credit card does not. Basic liability in BC is $200k, nowhere near enough.

If you don't have it, you are on the hook for the full cost.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I have now spent 2 days trying to sort out a decent deal for car hire - we need a 7 seater, so it is pretty costly!

I looked at various sites, but on some sites it is difficult to see what is included - CDW is automatically included on some, but not on others, and you have to search the small print to see it. Some hire firms charge up to $30 per day for CDW.

I checked our credit card, and we aren't covered.

After paying this, there is the excess which ranges from $500 - $1000. This is charged to your CC and then refunded once the car has been returned without any damage.

I have found reasonable car hire through Thrifty UK, which includes a tank of petrol (some charge extra for this) and also CDW and Theft cover. The excess is $500 if you are over 25, but $1000 if you are under.

I have found an insurance policy which covers the excess and also any damage to windscreens, undercarriage and tyres for £23 which is for 8 days rental.

Just thought the info might help others on recce trips
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
I looked at various sites, but on some sites it is difficult to see what is included - CDW is automatically included on some, but not on others, and you have to search the small print to see it. Some hire firms charge up to $30 per day for CDW.
Never heard of or experienced any car rental companies in North America including CDW in the rental. It is always an add on and $30 a day is about normal.

After paying this, there is the excess which ranges from $500 - $1000. This is charged to your CC and then refunded once the car has been returned without any damage.
CDW limits the deductible, usually to $200. Nothing is charged to your card in my experience. The rental company does a pre authorisation for $500 to $1000 for most rentals, this is not put on the card, it reserves that amount in case they need to charge you.

I have found reasonable car hire through Thrifty UK, which includes a tank of petrol (some charge extra for this) and also CDW and Theft cover. The excess is $500 if you are over 25, but $1000 if you are under.
All rental companies in North America I have used, you pick up the car full and return it full of gas. If you use the fuel from the rental company, it can be 50% higher than pump prices.

Sounds like the peculiarities you have experienced are though a UK agent, these are not normal when renting in North America. May be easier to go online and book your own rental in Canada, not using a UK agent. Also check mileage, some have unlimited some don't. If you plan on taking the car out of province or to the US they need to know, as you may not be covered for this.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:58 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Never heard of or experienced any car rental companies in North America including CDW in the rental. It is always an add on and $30 a day is about normal.

CDW limits the deductible, usually to $200. Nothing is charged to your card in my experience. The rental company does a pre authorisation for $500 to $1000 for most rentals, this is not put on the card, it reserves that amount in case they need to charge you.

All rental companies in North America I have used, you pick up the car full and return it full of gas. If you use the fuel from the rental company, it can be 50% higher than pump prices.

Sounds like the peculiarities you have experienced are though a UK agent, these are not normal when renting in North America. May be easier to go online and book your own rental in Canada, not using a UK agent. Also check mileage, some have unlimited some don't. If you plan on taking the car out of province or to the US they need to know, as you may not be covered for this.
Yes, you see this with Hertz. If you book on co.uk it will often include all insurances (on the assumption I guess that most UK cards do not typically offer insurance cover), .ca does not.

I keep a UK American Express Platinum card which has some of the best coverage I have seen - medical, car rental, travel etc. For travel you don't even have to have paid with the card to be covered.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I have done this through Thrifty (UK) and the total includes the CDW - going through Argus it was also included

Definitely not $200 - most state $500 - $1000 so is well worth checking before booking! The $500 - $1000 is not actually put on the card - but thought it was worth mentioning as some people may need to know that their available balance

This is not the case with ALL - again a reason to check the small print and agreement (the extra we have been charged for a full tank of fuel equates to £20 - which is pretty good for a minivan)

The easiest way to book was through a UK agent - which includes CDW and theft unlimited mileage - just the optional extras such as child seats to pay for on collection
Response in green above
Just think it is important to check everything completely before booking and to read the small print.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by caleo
Response in green above
Just think it is important to check everything completely before booking and to read the small print.
This is an experience likely unique to booking through an agent overseas though. If you book direct with a rental company in the North America, which is very easy now with the Internet, it will likely be very different and probably cheaper.

Having rented from Hertz, Enterprise, Thifty, Budget and Avis, I have had very different experiences. Be sure to check you don't have to return the vehicle full of fuel, every vehicle I have rented this has been the case. Avis were the only company that rented mini vans with unlimited mileage, most were 200km a day limit, taking a vehicle out of province may have some restrictions.

Compare pricing, if you get 'extras' it is unlikely to be free. What did they charge you for a van?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

This is an experience likely unique to booking through an agent overseas though. If you book direct with a rental company in the North America, which is very easy now with the Internet, it will likely be very different and probably cheaper.

Having rented from Hertz, Enterprise, Thifty, Budget and Avis, I have had very different experiences. Be sure to check you don't have to return the vehicle full of fuel, every vehicle I have rented this has been the case. Avis were the only company that rented mini vans with unlimited mileage, most were 200km a day limit, taking a vehicle out of province may have some restrictions.

Compare pricing, if you get 'extras' it is unlikely to be free. What did they charge you for a van?
Last week Budget charged me an additional $10 a day for out of Province !
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The quotes were £285 and £307 - the only diff between the two was that you paid for the fuel upfront - on the £285 it states :
"Unlimited Mileage, "Loss/Collision Damage/Theft Waiver ($500 deductible/$1,000 deductible for 21-24 driver age)", Supplemental Liability Insurance ($1 Million CAD), Uninsured Motorist Protection, All Taxes and Airport and Local Fees, Premium Location Charge (PLC), One additional driver (Spouse or Partner w/ same address as Primary driver)
Rates don't include:
All Additional Drivers Charges, Initial Tank of Petrol, GPS Satellite Navigation (Garmin nuvi), Personal Accident Insurance, Emergency Sickness Protection, Child/Baby Seat, Under-age Driver Fee, Ski Racks
Mileage Restrictions:
Unlimited kilometre rates have no restrictions on the number of kilometres you are allowed to drive if you have proof of a round trip ticket. However, certain geographical restrictions may still apply. Vehicles may not be driven into the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik, Alaska or Mexico. There may be minimum/maximum rental periods. One way rentals must be requested at time of reservation."

The £307 states the same but the initial tank of petrol is not under the exclusions.

This is for a Dodge caravan (or something similar)7 seater from Thrifty for 8 days from Toronto airport.

Last edited by caleo; Sep 25th 2011 at 7:30 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Try Canadian Affair car hire,I have hired from them for the last 10 years.All is included if you pay a little extra,full tank ,extra driver all insurance etc. The only thing they don,t cover is the excess which I got on a policy for £38 pounds for a 2 weeks hire on the net.(search excess ins.)Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:56 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note for any new 'Canadians' - my Canadian comprehensive car insurance covers me for car rental across Canada and the USA (don't know about further afield).

I am also covered for 'out of country' healthcare by my health insurance provider Great West Life so additional insurance is optional
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:24 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I too charge the rental to a credit card with good coverage and decline all insurances.
I did that on a trip back to the UK this year. However, Enterprise charged an additional daily fee plus a one off-charge of 15% of the hire fee - because I didn't take their collision damage insurance.

Check the terms and conditions first
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I use my credit card as it carries very good insurance. When traveling in Europe I take a copy of the CC insurance policy with me to answer any questions the rental agency has.
Me too on this. Check out the small print on your c/card because often you're covered for theft as well as CDW. Makes a helluva difference in price.

Or just Autoshare/Zipcar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.