Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Rental, Calgary

Car Rental, Calgary

Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice
Default Car Rental, Calgary

Can anyone recommend a car rental company in Calgary area, one that would deliver a car to the airport for our arrival time?

Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:57 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rental, Calgary

You can log onto any of several travel websites and the main renters as well. They have cars at the airport available. National, Avis, Budget, Hertz etc should all be able to help, unless you mean a car and driver.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:01 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You have three choices:
  • Rent a car from a rental company that is located inside the airport complex.

• Rent a car from a rental company that is not located in the airport complex, but that does operate a courtesy shuttle service between the airport and its location.

• Catch a taxi to a rental company that does not operate at the airport and that does not operate a shuttle service to and from the airport. An example of such a company is Rent-A-Wreck, which actually is a good and reasonably priced company.

There is no service that I am aware of that operates off-site but that will deliver a rental car to the airport for you. If you want to pick up a car from the airport, you have to use one the six rental companies that is located at the airport.

You may be able to get a price break if you book in advance through one of these companies:
  • Airline Network
  • Atlas Choice
  • Auto Europe
  • Car Hire 3000
  • Car Hire Centre
  • Car Hire Direct
  • Car Rental Express
  • Kasbah
  • UK Carhire Company
  • Wheels Abroad

When you book through these companies (Wheels Abroad and the like), you pay that Internet company, but you take delivery of a car from one of the mainstream car rental companies that is located at the airport. When you get your quotation from the Internet company, however, make sure you're comparing apples and apples. The Internet companies may seem cheaper at first, but they may exclude elements that you'll be charged for later, for example:
  • one-way drop-off fee (An example of this would be picking up a car in Calgary and dropping it off in Vancouver, but probably is not applicable to you in this case.)
  • 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
  • Provincial Sales Tax (not applicable to Alberta)
  • per kilometre charge (if not unlimited)
  • higher per kilometre charge if travelling outside the province (probably not applicable to you in this case)
  • fee for an additional driver
  • fee for renters age 21 but under 25 (not applicable to you, I'm guessing)
  • premium location fee, such as 10-15% at airports

There actually is a Wiki on car rentals. It merely points you to the Wiki at TripAdvisor, which was written by ... well ... me. There really is not much more to be said on the subject.

The only reason I responded to you in detail, and didn't just point you to the Wiki, was that I was taken aback by your question about having a car delivered to the airport for you. I've never heard of such a thing -- anywhere.

Also, the Wiki was about Canada in general, and I thought it would help you to have a link to Calgary Airport's web page about rental cars.

Anyway, I hope that has helped.
x

x
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point

For heavens sake, make sure you take ALL your driving documents with you. Have copies on memory stick, even for your other half.
I made the monumental boo-boo of forgetting my licence when we last went to Calgary. Couldn't get a car at the airport no matter what we tried.
Managed to get a car the next day from the hotels AVIS desk following several very early morning phone calls, to a very very good friend, and had the documents scanned and e-mailed over.
I have to recommend AVIS for ALL of your vehicle requirements.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

beccaj has a brilliant futurebeccaj has a brilliant futurebeccaj has a brilliant futurebeccaj has a brilliant futurebeccaj has a brilliant futurebeccaj has a brilliant future

I have just booked a car using Travelsupemarket.com. They come up with the cheapest and list the benefits that all different companies offer. Could be worth a look.