Car rental on arrival

Wikiposts

Car rental on arrival

Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car rental on arrival

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How do you intend to get from the Airport to another location? If it is by taxi, the cost of doing so is likely to outweigh any saving you will achieve by renting a vehicle away from the airport.

For the hassle factor alone, I would simply rent from the airport.

+1, as I said book your car from home.I actually found that the deal through Auto Europe was cheapest at the airport, but that might of been some sort of special at the time. Give it a go you have nothing to loose by just getting some quotes

Last thing you want to be doing after that looooooooooooong flight is to be getting on to the shuttle bus. We have arrived with 1 child,3 cases and the dog. And the car was a God send to us

Taxi is very expensive in Calgary and then you will need a car unless you staying Downtown anyway.

Good luck with the move
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:31 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed it is more expensive getting a hire car from the airport but, as others have said, it is probably outweighed by the expense of having to get a taxi etc. Besides, I don't think its that much more expensive that it needs to be something you really need to worry about. Go with the convenience of getting it at the airport. There'll be enough other things to worry about when you first arrive!

Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

How do you intend to get from the Airport to another location? If it is by taxi, the cost of doing so is likely to outweigh any saving you will achieve by renting a vehicle away from the airport.

Stay in a hotel for the first night at least. Get the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel for free or a nominal charge. Someone else does the driving, handles your bags and that way you don't have the hassle of dealing with renting a car and finding your way around after a day of traveling and going through immigration. When one is ready to get a rental, call the rental company, they come and pick you up and take you to your car. By and far the least stressful way of doing it.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Stay in a hotel for the first night at least. Get the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel for free or a nominal charge. Someone else does the driving, handles your bags and that way you don't have the hassle of dealing with renting a car and finding your way around after a day of traveling and going through immigration. When one is ready to get a rental, call the rental company, they come and pick you up and take you to your car. By and far the least stressful way of doing it.
I agree but.... if one is comparing the costs of rental from airport versus rental from other areas, one is not likely to be staying at a hotel that offers a shuttle service
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I agree but.... if one is comparing the costs of rental from airport versus rental from other areas, one is not likely to be staying at a hotel that offers a shuttle service
Not necessarily. I have no problem paying for a decent hotel, but won't pay the higher airport car rental charge to get the same vehicle I could get downtown with a free pick up when I want the vehicle. For many new to town, the first day usually little driving is done anyway, so a days rental also wasted.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:56 am
Just Joined

bobstern is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Almost Cad thanks for your reply/advice
Yes true regards taxi cost(not too worried about taxi fee) but thought if the Inital rental was secured at cheaper daily rate and I had to extend the rental period if required by an extra 1 week or 2 if would be a better option for total coat as at this point I'm not too sure how long I would need to hire before I buy or lease if lease is possible.

Hi Aviator thanks for reply/advice
I think as you suggest stopping in the airport the first night could be a good move as I would'nt required taxi or vehicle rental the first night although the taxi fee or one days rental isn't my main motive as mentioned above its the getting the rental at the best daily rate so if i have to extend the rental period the longer i would require it would give me a better overall cost compared with a rental direct from airport. The next day I would try arrange a rental via a company external to the airport and ask if its possible to drop at airport hotel (if they would do this)

Thanks to all others who replied and provided advice it's very much appreciated

Last edited by bobstern; Oct 15th 2012 at 5:51 am.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by bobstern
Hi Almost Cad thanks for your reply/advice
Yes true regards taxi cost(not too worried about taxi fee) but thought if the Inital rental was secured at cheaper daily rate and I had to extend the rental period if required by an extra 1 week or 2 if would be a better option for total coat as at this point I'm not too sure how long I would need to hire before I buy or lease if lease is possible.

Hi Aviator thanks for reply/advice
I think as you suggest stopping in the airport the first night could be a good move as I would'nt required taxi or vehicle rental the first night although the taxi fee or one days rental isn't my main motive as mentioned above its the getting the rental at the best daily rate so if i have to extend the rental period the longer i would require it would give me a better overall cost compared with a rental direct from airport. The next day I would try arrange a rental via a company external to the airport and ask if its possible to drop at airport hotel (if they would do this)

Thanks to all others who replied and provided advice it's very much appreciated
You'll have to get to the rental location, they may have a courtesy car to pick you up. They won't drop your rental car to your hotel.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:56 am
Just Joined

taxingtimes is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries I can sort that bit, hopefully the daily rate they offer will be better than the hire companies based within the airport.
Thanks again for all your help
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the PM and let us know how you get on with your search
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

You'll have to get to the rental location, they may have a courtesy car to pick you up. They won't drop your rental car to your hotel.
Thanks for the info, I can get it sorted at a good price.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
+1, as I said book your car from home.I actually found that the deal through Auto Europe was cheapest at the airport, but that might of been some sort of special at the time. Give it a go you have nothing to loose by just getting some quotes

Last thing you want to be doing after that looooooooooooong flight is to be getting on to the shuttle bus. We have arrived with 1 child,3 cases and the dog. And the car was a God send to us

Taxi is very expensive in Calgary and then you will need a car unless you staying Downtown anyway.

Good luck with the move
Thanks for the info/advice I will checkout auto route for prices