Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

car from ontario to bc

car from ontario to bc

Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:38 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Exclamation car from ontario to bc

we are taking our cars from ontario to vancouver bc.....do we need to get them tested again as we have changed provinces and do we have to get new plates..........many thanks.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:05 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car from ontario to bc

Originally Posted by howardk
we are taking our cars from ontario to vancouver bc.....do we need to get them tested again as we have changed provinces and do we have to get new plates..........many thanks.
If you have ON plates and are moving to BC to live, you would need to register the vehicle and get BC plates. You would also need Air Care testing within the Lower Mainland and possibly a mechanical inpsection. If you already had BC plates you can reuse these and any Air Care is valid until the expiry date. You cannot get insurance without a valid Air Care certificate.

If you are only visiting BC, you are OK.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Aug 19th 2008 at 4:26 am.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you are moving to BC, the vehicles will need to pass a mechanical safety inspection at a designated inspection facility before you can register and insure them in BC.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:25 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Also, if you are moving to BC, the vehicles will need to pass a mechanical safety inspection at a designated inspection facility before you can register and insure them in BC.
As stated above!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If you have ON plates and are moving to BC to live, you would need to register the vehicle and get BC plates. You would also need Air Care testing within the Lower Mainland and possibly a mechanical inpsection. If you already had BC plates you can reuse these and any Air Care is valid until the expiry date. You cannot get insurance without a valid Air Care certificate.

If you are only visiting BC, you are OK.
As stated above!
Yes, but you had said "possibly"...I was just clarifying that it wasn't just a possibility - it is definitely a requirement. I'll keep me mouth shut in future

Also your editing was well after my post!

Last edited by AlexInBC; Aug 19th 2008 at 4:32 am. Reason: To add an edit about timing of edits :)
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:33 am
Banned

Yes, but you had said "possibly"...I was just clarifying that it wasn't just a possibility - it is definitely a requirement. I'll keep me mouth shut in future
From ICBC web site;
Most used vehicles being registered in B.C. for the first time must pass a mechanical safety inspection before they can be registered, licensed and insured. (Trailers and motorcycles don’t need an inspection.)

Hence the 'possibly' and it was not added after your post. I just cannot spell too good.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

From ICBC web site;
Most used vehicles being registered in B.C. for the first time must pass a mechanical safety inspection before they can be registered, licensed and insured. (Trailers and motorcycles don’t need an inspection.)

Hence the 'possibly' and it was not added after your post. I just cannot spell too good.
Ok, I've no idea what you edited, but I was trying to be helpful to the OP and make it clear that they needed the safety inspection, rather than leave them to try to work out whether it 'possibly' applied to their circumstance or not. It was pretty clear (from thread title) that they're talking about cars, not a trailer or motorbike. What was the problem with someone else replying to a thread that you just happened to post on first??
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned

Ok, I've no idea what you edited, but I was trying to be helpful to the OP and make it clear that they needed the safety inspection, rather than leave them to try to work out whether it 'possibly' applied to their circumstance or not. It was pretty clear (from thread title) that they're talking about cars, not a trailer or motorbike. What was the problem with someone else replying to a thread that you just happened to post on first??
We each have an opinion, by all means, don't be so tetchy. To make it clearer ICBC say most vehicles, not all vehicles require a mech inspection, to be sure one would need to contact ICBC, I cannot say categorically that the OP's vehicle needs an inspection, it may, it may not. You are probably right, however only ICBC can say yes or no for sure.

Chill out.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Aug 19th 2008 at 2:07 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

... don't be so tetchy ... <snip> ... Chill out.

Hello Mr Pot, my name's Mrs Kettle
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to bring bakc this old thread. was the only one that i could find that was relevent.

Am planning on taking A truck from quebec to BC.

will be about a year 2000 model.

can any one say how much the various test would be and the cost to re register. also any likely things it might fail on or what they geerally test them for.

thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

What I like about BC most, Is the cars last longer.....the price reflex so unfortunately. Here in ON cars are nacked at 100,000-150,000 clicks for Domestics, Koreans and the Germans, 200,000 for imports Japanese cars.....of course they do last a bit longer. but the cars start to feel old about then....

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jul 2nd 2009 at 7:58 pm.